[CABLEVISION] Channel changing slow

iorp

Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Is this normal with digital cable? It takes 3-5 seconds to load a new channel. I thought this was normal, but I was at a doctors office and I was changing the channels and they were instant, like analog used to be (he had an SA 1850). I used to have an 1850, and there was a delay and now it seems even more delayed with the SA 4200HD.

iorp said:
Is this normal with digital cable? It takes 3-5 seconds to load a new channel. I thought this was normal, but I was at a doctors office and I was changing the channels and they were instant, like analog used to be (he had an SA 1850). I used to have an 1850, and there was a delay and now it seems even more delayed with the SA 4200HD.

My 4200 is much slower than my 8300 but 3 -5 seconds is not normal.

ok, maybe it is closer to 3 seconds. I.e.-I press CHANNEL UP, the info bar displays the next channel, but the video doesnt appear until ~3 seconds.

Maybe you have your Set:picture Format on Pass-Through. I had mine set to this and everytime I changed the channel to a different picture format, it would take a few seconds to recalibrate. For example, if the show I am currently watching is in 480p and I tune into a HD channel at 1080i, it would take a few seconds for the picture to appear. I changed this setting to Upconvert and now I wait at most 1 second for the channel to reappear.

Are you using the HDMI connection and in AUTO mode, then the TV is talking to the box so forth to setup the right picture resolution, hence the delay.

Brighton Line said:
Are you using the HDMI connection and in AUTO mode, then the TV is talking to the box so forth to setup the right picture resolution, hence the delay.

I am using RCA's. I have the 4200HD hooked up to a regular TV (not HD). I can't stand the delay, even when I change the channel it takes a second for it to register and then I have to wait for the channel to appear. For example, If I type in 100 on the remote, theres a ~1 second delay until what I entered appears on the screen, and then when it changes to the channel, it takes a few seconds for the actual picture to appear. This happens on both 4200HD boxes that I have, exactly the same......I am starting to wonder if the main line needs to be replaced (going from the pole to my house).

iorp said:
I am using RCA's. I have the 4200HD hooked up to a regular TV (not HD). I can't stand the delay, even when I change the channel it takes a second for it to register and then I have to wait for the channel to appear. For example, If I type in 100 on the remote, theres a ~1 second delay until what I entered appears on the screen, and then when it changes to the channel, it takes a few seconds for the actual picture to appear. This happens on both 4200HD boxes that I have, exactly the same......I am starting to wonder if the main line needs to be replaced (going from the pole to my house).

Did you go through the resolution set up (wizard)? If not you need to power off the box, walk up to it and press down the top 2 buttons, I think they are guide and info. Then from there follow the prompts and make sure only 480i is selected since you are using a SD TV. That should fix your issue with the 4200HD being hooked up to a SD TV.

Ok, I just tried this, and it responds to input better (I press 100, it appears on the screen quicker), but theres still a delay when it gets to the channel and I have to wait a couple of seconds for the picture to appear. Anthing else I can try?
Thanks for the help so far, every little bit makes a difference.

CV wants to send out a tech, and they may end up charging me for the visit. Is there anything else I can do?

iorp said:
CV wants to send out a tech, and they may end up charging me for the visit. Is there anything else I can do?

Unless you go to the walk-in center and exchange the 4200HD for a regular SD 4200, there is nothing IMO that can be done. It's the way the HD box with an SD TV is.

It did this with the 1850 box also, do you really think the SD 4200 will make a noticeable difference?

If it did it with the SA 1850, then I doubt the SD 4200 would make a difference. It's just the way the box is when it's tuning in digital channels, the analog I would assume comes in faster, correct?

It does it for all channels....When I had the old analog box, or even now if I connect the 'Cable IN' directly to the TV (bypassing the box), it is instant. It is only when changing channels via the box, very frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)