Calgary installers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nmstough

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Anyone know a good satellite installer in the Calgary area? I am having trouble finding someone willing to install the new 5LNB DirecTV dish. Thanks.

Why would you want a A9 dish in Canada? the Ka stuff wont work there anyways....

All Ka transponders are spotbeamed to the area they serve..

ultatryon said:
Why would you want a A9 dish in Canada? the Ka stuff wont work there anyways....
All Ka transponders are spotbeamed to the area they serve..

Do you know this to be a fact? I read somewhere that for the time being everything was on the "national" beam. In any event, the dish is significantly bigger in terms of gain and that is important with snow and rain that far north.

I doubt that you will find any installer in Calgary with the Ka band signal sat finder - nor are any likely to purchase such a unit. You should have done your homework before buying the dish especially since you have neither a MPEG4 or Ka capable DTV receiver.

Jumbo Dumbo said:
I doubt that you will find any installer in Calgary with the Ka band signal sat finder - nor are any likely to purchase such a unit. You should have done your homework before buying the dish especially since you have neither a MPEG4 or Ka capable DTV receiver.

I did my homework. Apparently you have not.

The 5LNB dish is not aligned using any Ka satellite signals; it is aligned using only the signals from the 101 and 119 satellites (MPEG2). The MPEG4 satellites fall into place automatically following the proper installation procedures. It is necessary to have a 22khz tone generator to select the 119 satellite.

The H20 receiver I have is capable of decoding the MPEG4 signals as well as the MPEG2 ones.

When I used to have my dish installed I used to use Cabletronix. I know they were installing DTV; I'm not sure if they have any experience with the newer dishes though.

The H20 is only available for purchase in the new "Beta" zones, which primarily means Detroit.

Spaceway 1 and 2 are defined as Ka Spotbeam Satellites.. I am trying to find a spotbeam map, but thats proving difficult.

Found it.. a Press Release from Jan 6, 2005..

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.jsp?newsId=01-06-2005A

The Boeing-built Spaceway 1 and 2 satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels, bringing local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, and will enable DIRECTV to continue to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements. DIRECTV 10 and 11 will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels and other new programming offerings. All four satellites will use spot-beam technology to deliver local channels.

Another, dated May 25, 2005

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.jsp?newsId=05_25_2005A

The Boeing-built satellite will be carried into space by an Ariane 5 launch vehicle and is expected to be ready for commercial service in early fall at 99.2 degrees West Longitude (WL), one of two Ka-band orbital slots that DIRECTV will use to transmit local digital and HD signals via spot beam to its customers.

Last edited:
Its not clear from these press releases what is spotbeamed and what is not. For instance on the MPEG2 satellites the HD channels from NY and LA are on the national beam, so that might also be the case for the MPEG4 satellites.

Also, I called up Cabletronix in Calgary and when they asked what the satellite provider is and I said "DirecTV" they became very impolite and practically hung up the phone on me. Whatever happened to "friendly" Canada?

nmstough said:
I
Also, I called up Cabletronix in Calgary and when they asked what the satellite provider is and I said "DirecTV" they became very impolite and practically hung up the phone on me. Whatever happened to "friendly" Canada?

So you call up a company who is under contract to:
Star Choice to do commercial installs
Expressvu to do residential installs
Lincsat to do satellite internet installs
Barrett Explornet to do Ka band satellite internet installs

.... and ask them to do something that they can face criminal charges for....
and you wonder why they gave you the cold shoulder ... Dah :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Does anyone happen to know a lot about *C's programming fees?

Can anyone who has used the DSR 530 please answer some questions??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)