Call from the Audit Department.... what's next?

david4455

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
On Monday I got a call from Dish's audit/enforcement dept. They were less than friendly and wanted me to read off my two receivers since they suspected one was "illegal". I was able to do that as requested in one call and without "hanging-up". I have had this set-up for over 5 years but they determined that since one receiver was connected to another phone line ( our guest house) it was not legal and they said it would be disconnected. I would need to set up a new account for the other receiver.....after a mild protest...I hung up.

4 days later no disconnect yet.... is the "shoe still going to fall?"

I just read the "hacking" warning.... please know that I never intentionally meant to deceive Dish...I have been a client for over 9 years with the set-up described above for over 5.....

Last edited:
I've got my household down to one receiver and it's plugged into a phone line. Hopefully I never have to deal the the damn Audit Nazis again! :mad:

NightRyder

All boxes must be at the same residence and on the same or no phone line to qualify as additional receivers. If it had not been plugged in to a different phone line, it would have passed the manual audit check.

If your "guest house" is a rental, then it would not be legal to stack it on your home account. If it was truely a guest house and it's phone number was in your name, they may decide it was OK.

mlb said:
What happens if you have 2 phone lines in your same residence and you hook up the receiver to different phone lines?
You get audited like me.

The Dish Network subscriber agreement states that your receivers should be plugged into a phone line, it does not specify that it has to be plugged into your main phone line listed on your account.

I work at a Dish retailer and have had a sudden rush of customers calling in to complain about these audits or just to ask what it is for and if they are doing anything wrong. I'm not really sure what to tell them but it seems pretty unreasonable to me. I can understand why Dish doesn't want people stealing their signal but I question whether this is a good deterrent. It seems they are irritating a lot of their best customers by making them feel like they are being accused of signal theft just because they have a lot of receivers. Also, I thought Dish allows you to use a receiver in your vehicle with a roof top antenna system. Why then is it not OK to have a receiver at your cottage? Seems silly to me that you can watch Dish at home, get in your car and watch it all the way to the cottage, but once you get there you have to sit in the driveway in order to keep watching. Maybe you're supposed to shut it off when you get to your other property. :p

aaronhoes said:
I work at a Dish retailer and have had a sudden rush of customers calling in to complain about these audits or just to ask what it is for and if they are doing anything wrong. I'm not really sure what to tell them but it seems pretty unreasonable to me. I can understand why Dish doesn't want people stealing their signal but I question whether this is a good deterrent. It seems they are irritating a lot of their best customers by making them feel like they are being accused of signal theft just because they have a lot of receivers. Also, I thought Dish allows you to use a receiver in your vehicle with a roof top antenna system. Why then is it not OK to have a receiver at your cottage? Seems silly to me that you can watch Dish at home, get in your car and watch it all the way to the cottage, but once you get there you have to sit in the driveway in order to keep watching. Maybe you're supposed to shut it off when you get to your other property. :p

Yes they treat the customer like a crook, and if it's not costing them customers it certainly isn't helping their image any.

According to the Nazi Audit Squad if the receiver isn't under the same roof it must be on a separate account, regardless of what Dish has told the customer previously.

NightRyder

Last edited:
yooper.mi said:
Had all my 3 receivers plugged into my phone line and was still audited.

There have been reports of subscribers with 1 receiver being audited. Try to understand the logic behind that. :confused:

NightRyder

aaronhoes said:

In your scenario, you would need to have an account for your home, a RV waiver for your trip, and an account for your cottage. The cottage account would be set up so that you can go on dish pause or seasonal downgrade as many times as you want without penalty.

Reciever at cottage

:) I believe I can justify paying for more movie channels if a receiver can be brought to the cottage on the weekend. Do they believe customers are going to buy much programing for a cottage account that is not used much.

What the heck is up with Dish Network lately? One receiver audits? That is crazy. Scott when you see Charlie and some of the Dish Network higher ups at team summit can you ask them what the purpose of a one receiver audit and an audit with those that have all of their phone lines plugged in is for? That is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard.

I dont know of many people that would want to have to keep calling in to change the status of the account to turn it on and turn it off. Dish will either get the $25 restart fee everytime or $5 a month by having it on a seasonal disconnect/dish pause. What a RIP!

Does the warranty still apply to receivers that are on dish pause or seasonal disconnect?

I get audited everytime I activate a receiver, when they had to have a "pro" install my 942 they had to wait untill the audit department was open so they could add my receiver, then they had the tech run around to all my receiver and give them the info, will it ever end. :mad:

atvman said:
:) I believe I can justify paying for more movie channels if a receiver can be brought to the cottage on the weekend. Do they believe customers are going to buy much programing for a cottage account that is not used much.

All I did was explain the rules as Dish has stated them. I can justify a lot of things, but if I didn't make the rules...

i have been fortunate enough never to have been called by the audit nazi's (knock on wood) but I don't believe i'd play nice, I have been a customer and installer for 4 years now, and if I ever get audited, i'm gonna tell the auditor to shut off my account, problem solved. I have 4 receivers(2 DVRS), AEP, and rent PPV often, I give them more than enough money on a monthly basis, they need to leave their customer's alone.
The point of the audits is to make people set up second accounts for their other houses ect... it seems to me all it does is annoy their customers and cause cancellations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)