Call your BrightHouse rep about getting the NFL Network

Well satelites operating costs are far less then that of cable, if you recall they have no lines to worry about. and if you have a problem with your dish and need them to come out expect a nice bill, also expect to pay for those receivers if they go bad. whereas with cable BHN offers FREE cable related service calls and repairs. The dish people control the niche of sports, a large number of our cable customers here have both dish and BHN and only use dish during the NFL season to get the gameday packages. dish is great for sports and international programming but as far as all around value you cant beat the service provided by BHN.

Well satelites operating costs are far less then that of cable, if you recall they have no lines to worry about. and if you have a problem with your dish and need them to come out expect a nice bill, also expect to pay for those receivers if they go bad. whereas with cable BHN offers FREE cable related service calls and repairs. The dish people control the niche of sports, a large number of our cable customers here have both dish and BHN and only use dish during the NFL season to get the gameday packages. dish is great for sports and international programming but as far as all around value you cant beat the service provided by BHN.

This exact quote below was posted in the TWC thread but I felt my post should at least be considered so people can ask why these channels aren't available yet on BHN and TWC.

"Well I have Comcast with NFL Network and I saw the game in HD. We also have many more HD channels such as Starz HD, ESPN2 HD. We have tons more On Demand programming including tons of free HD On Demand programming. This area also has had ADS for a very long time. I get all channels on the TV side along with my triple play package with two HD DVR boxes and both my promo and regular prices are less than BHN and most TWC Digital Combo Plus with HD DVR prices. I'm counting all taxes because I was with BHN with this package. With BHN I had the Digital Combo Plus with HD DVR for 125/month. It came with both the rental and DVR service for one HD DVR. So I paid an extra 17/month for the second HD DVR. I added Starz for 10/month, Digital Movie Pak (Encore) for 4/month, HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/TMC w/Premiums On Demand for 30/month and last but not least the HD Pak at 5/month. After adding this all up along with the almost 30 bucks in taxes and fees my bill was higher for less compared to my Comcast regular prices. The Comcast triple play promo for 12 months is about 26/month less.

So because Comcast is a cable company and not a satellite company the costs should be closer to compare so why is my regular price with Comcast less than BHN when I get way way more."

dish is great for sports and international programming but as far as all around value you cant beat the service provided by BHN.

Except for their:
1. Poor grainy picture quality of the analog channels (1-99).
2. Having to come back time after time to fix the same problem.
3. Unwillingness to provide both local Regional Sports Networks to Central Florida.

Sorry Steven, but I can't agree with you, I prefer satellite 100% over BHN. When we had the hurricanes in'04, my TV and satellite system was up and running as soon as the wind died down, and I got my generator fired up. The rest of the neighborhood waited 2 to 3 weeks to watch TV.

good point you were a lucky dish customer whos dish didnt get blown off the roof. I do many of activate new customers to cable from dish because they didnt wanna pay the fees to have dish come out and put the dish back on the roof or replace the dish if it was damaged.

as far as comcast pricing its simple. Comcast as > 20million subs brighthouse has 2 million if you count Twc with bhn its still only around 10-11 million. do you know how walmart offers prices so cheap? they buy HUGE numbers and get great rates. The big channels will waiver to comcasts demands because they know comcast controls such a huge audiance. leaveing the smaller cable companies to pay the premiums to cover there profits. if TWC and BHN didnt have there partnership BHN wouldnt be able to have nearly what it does, because it uses the buying power of TWC/BHN partnership. Why dont you take your anger out at the other side of the table to. Tell NFL tell the HD channels to make there channels affordable. Why do they even charge the cable companies anyway? dont they make a mint on advertising? I mean thats what ABC/NBC/CBS does. if you can reach 20million+ people you should be able to make a decent profit in ads. OHHH THATS RIGHT because the vast majority of people dont watch those channels so they hardly make anything on advertising. So why should the rest of the cable customers suffer higher rates to please a few? doesnt make sense to me... Tell these channels to allow cable to offer the channels to only those who want it. OH WAIT they dont want to do that because then the turth of how many people acutally want there channel would be seen and they wouldnt be able to charge as much any more...

thanks

Got to remember the cost of service is not only made up of programming but overhead as well.
Pole rent (which is extremely high in some areas)
franchise fees
liability insurance on the plant, vehicles and employees
up keep of vehicles, tools, office, computers, headend equipment
power meters for power supplies (batteries for back up power), office and headend
cash for carriage from local stations
cost of public access channels
Also for new services that they are planning to roll out or improve. Must generate revenue in order to offer advance services.
More customers per mile also cuts down on the cost of maintenance per mile.

and bargin price doesnt always mean great product. BHN offers FREE over 40 channels of on-demand programming with its digital service. thats one area satellite cant compete. I wouldnt give up my on-demand for anything.

Steven, you got a wrong information about the service charge or replaced receiver fee on DISH.
If you got a protection warranty plan $5.99/mo(firsts 18 months FREE) the replacement receivers are FREE including S/H. The service charge is $29 but if you had the DISH thru a local dealer, the local dealer take care the $29 so again if FREE of charge. That happenned to me already and I didn't have to paid any penny of course, I gave some tips to the installer to help me out.

Yes, I switched from BHN to DISH because they don't carry Fox Sport Network(missing my Marlins games) plus DISH carry NFL Networks channel.
I don't want to mention of lack of HD channels on BHN compare with DISH.
Finally, because DISH doesn't have yet the local HD channel in Orlando, the dealer installed a FREE OTA antenna attached to the dish so I'm able to get my local HD channels free of charge. BTW, my bill still lower than BHN.

Sorry Steven but BHN need to work a little bit harder.

Jose.

Does dish offer 30+ on-demand stations included in their digital package? Do they offer iControl PPV services? Do they offer Local call center for technical problems? High speed Internet service, 2 WAY!!! Local HD Stations? Local stations period. Protection from the florida weather? (rain fade) I have many of friends who have said satllite service and they only have it for sports, they use BHN for their regular tv viewing.. Because in florida its not the most realiable thing.. (it does rain EVERYDAY almost during the summer thunderstorms even) Im not trying to say Dish is a bad service, Im just trying to say dallor for dallor BHN is the best value in Orlando FL, in utah it may not be, but here it certainly is;

Now if you loved your BHN service but are only upset about the FSN and NFLNET then contact those places and tell them to work with the cable company, allow BHN to setup a sports tier and let only those who want it buy it. Doesnt Dish have a sports tier? why cant BHN... They would love to offer these stations to the people who want them but not at the cost to the MANY THOUSANDS who dont. (over 900k subs in CFL area alone with BHN Service)

---

28 million people cant be wrong? What about the 90million people with a cable serivce? They cant be wrong either :) and dish is availble EVERYWHERE IN THE NATION for the most part.. Cable isnt. but still dominates the TV market place. Go figure.. Usally the people I encounter with a dish on their house are mad at BHN, and usally the ones who are mad are mad because they didnt pay their bill.... Thats been my experiance in the field at least.

Well, Steven, Dish had High speed Internet but BHN has better price $19.95/mo vs $49.95/mo so that is why I stay with BHN on Internet only. Like I told you before the reason I switched to Dish was my sport channels missing no because BHN has 30+ channels on Demand.

Best, Jose.

Well, Steven, Dish had High speed Internet but BHN has better price $19.95/mo vs $49.95/mo so that is why I stay with BHN on Internet only. Like I told you before the reason I switched to Dish was my sport channels missing no because BHN has 30+ channels on Demand.

Best, Jose.

And that is why most people have dish.. For its sports tier. Im not mad at you for moving, alot of people do.. and DISH internet at best is what 75% the speed of BHNs? So congrats on the HSD service. Im not trying to bad mouth dish just letting you know their reasons for things.

I have both BHN and DirecTv. The latter for sports. BHN offers a better quality picture and excellent service in the Orlando area. I recently had a bad line coming to the house. Service Tech responded on time, diagnosed the problem quickly and replaced the line. Really nice guy who I enjoyed having in my house. Two days later, another BHN tech came and buried the line in PVC. Another really nice guy. Did an excellent job. My wife lives for on demand. I have DirecTv for sports and that is it. As previously stated, picture is ok, but not as good as BHN. By the way, I received two different follow up customer service evals from BHN within two days after the service.
If I could only choose one, it would be BHN.

I have both BHN and DirecTv. The latter for sports. BHN offers a better quality picture and excellent service in the Orlando area. I recently had a bad line coming to the house. Service Tech responded on time, diagnosed the problem quickly and replaced the line. Really nice guy who I enjoyed having in my house. Two days later, another BHN tech came and buried the line in PVC. Another really nice guy. Did an excellent job. My wife lives for on demand. I have DirecTv for sports and that is it. As previously stated, picture is ok, but not as good as BHN. By the way, I received two different follow up customer service evals from BHN within two days after the service.
If I could only choose one, it would be BHN.

Thank you for the kind words.. and that is how the system is designed to work.. the MAJORITY of the time it works that way.. Sometimes it goes afray, you have to add in the "Human Factor" Which humans are made to make mistakes.. Or have a "bad day" or just be a plain idiot/a-hole... But you cant blame the company for that.. Their is always someone who will be unhappy with something No matter how well it is. Always someone who will have problems, and I dont BHN handles it as good if not better (2 JD Power awards for customer satisfaction says we do it better) then most all other providers in our customer areas..

Doing the job I do for BHN I only get to see the bad things that happen. I only see customers when they have a problem, so to me it seems EVERYONE has problems, But when i take into account the such small number of people i visit compared to the VAST number of customers i realize its a very small minority with problems and most the problems are out of our control, (ie: weather related, or just equipment failure) So its good to hear someone say something nice so thank you for that...

i have to pretty much agree with ddeloach.

even when i went back to cable late last year, my intent was to keep the dish as well, for sunday ticket and fsn florida (yeah, some of us like watching the marlins).

but i needed to move into my current apartment, i didn't want to extend my satellite contract and directv customer retention gave me a really hard time. i canceled.

however, come april, i may change my mind and add it to see the fish in hd.

Brighthouse Comparison-Comcast

Thank you for the kind words.. and that is how the system is designed to work.. the MAJORITY of the time it works that way.. Sometimes it goes afray, you have to add in the "Human Factor" Which humans are made to make mistakes.. Or have a "bad day" or just be a plain idiot/a-hole... But you cant blame the company for that.. Their is always someone who will be unhappy with something No matter how well it is. Always someone who will have problems, and I dont BHN handles it as good if not better (2 JD Power awards for customer satisfaction says we do it better) then most all other providers in our customer areas..

Doing the job I do for BHN I only get to see the bad things that happen. I only see customers when they have a problem, so to me it seems EVERYONE has problems, But when i take into account the such small number of people i visit compared to the VAST number of customers i realize its a very small minority with problems and most the problems are out of our control, (ie: weather related, or just equipment failure) So its good to hear someone say something nice so thank you for that...

Steven,
Appreciate you honest opinions regarding Brighthouse and questions regarding programming and service quality. All I can share is this: I am new to the central Fl area, previously from South Florida where I was a Comcast subscriber. There are some points I'd like to make:
  • By far the customer service and the service by the field techs when I have had them come out to my apartment has been far superior to anything Comcast provided for me. Your reps on the phone are courteous and your techs are on time and professional, something I never experienced with Comcast
  • Pricing ( I currently have the internet-cable combo) is better by about $20.00 than the same package I had with Comcast, I also appreciate the ease of paying my bill.
Now with that being said, some honest disappointments I've had with Brighthouse:
  • Overall video quality; my last month in South Florida I purchased and HDTV and while I understood that not all channels are digital and not all channels are HDTV quality, I was disappointed how poorly the reception was on certain channels. I've had techs come out and replace my receiver 3 times, since the last changeover, I have basically resigned myself to days of having great reception on certain channels and bad reception on other channels. No consistency, I spoke with the last field tech who sat with me for 2 hours performing test, and apologized for the poor signal quality (Honesty that I appreciated);
  • Programming- Unfortunately I give the edge to Comcast here, I was shocked that for example, that being in the center of the state, I could not watch either major league baseball team, because Fox Sports Net is not carried by Brighthouse and Marlin games on Sunshine are not carried by Brighthouse due to a lack of a contract. Now before you accuse me of being another sports nerd, I do not have issues with Time Warner's overall issue with the NFL network, I believe its an issue that eventually will be solved one way or another; but I think its reasonable for me to expect my cable company to carry the largest regional sports provider and (barring blackout restrictions) games played by the state's major league teams. Brighthouse recently signed a deal to sponsor UCF's new stadium, bravo them, I just hope there games are not on Fox Sports Net. I've spoken with friends in other parts of the country with Time Warner, and they don't have the same issue; frankly it makes no sense here, Brighthouse and for that matter Time Warner have had healthy bottom lines; to blame solely the networks seems one sided.
  • HD programming and On Demand HD is poor, now while you do carry HD NET and INHD, I have a hard time seeing 3 separate public access channels taking space on the HD tier. Also the on demand movies on are not representative of whats available, better selection should be available.
  • I noticed also in the last week, ESPN news, CSTV and 2 other channels showing up on 2 different spots on the lineup, if its due to additional channels being added fine, but frankly leaving it on for over a week, your basically billing for the same channels appearing twice. Hopefully this gets taken care of.
Basically, Brighthouse, service wise does beat Comcast handily, they do have a ways to go with programming and programming decisions. One last thing, something a field tech told me regarding Comcast moving into the market, he applauded it, for one to hopefully drive up his salary and secondly to give Brighthouse some needed competiton; I think competition is good.

Steven,
Appreciate you honest opinions regarding Brighthouse and questions regarding programming and service quality. All I can share is this: I am new to the central Fl area, previously from South Florida where I was a Comcast subscriber. There are some points I'd like to make:
  • By far the customer service and the service by the field techs when I have had them come out to my apartment has been far superior to anything Comcast provided for me. Your reps on the phone are courteous and your techs are on time and professional, something I never experienced with Comcast
  • Pricing ( I currently have the internet-cable combo) is better by about $20.00 than the same package I had with Comcast, I also appreciate the ease of paying my bill.
Now with that being said, some honest disappointments I've had with Brighthouse:
  • Overall video quality; my last month in South Florida I purchased and HDTV and while I understood that not all channels are digital and not all channels are HDTV quality, I was disappointed how poorly the reception was on certain channels. I've had techs come out and replace my receiver 3 times, since the last changeover, I have basically resigned myself to days of having great reception on certain channels and bad reception on other channels. No consistency, I spoke with the last field tech who sat with me for 2 hours performing test, and apologized for the poor signal quality (Honesty that I appreciated);
  • Programming- Unfortunately I give the edge to Comcast here, I was shocked that for example, that being in the center of the state, I could not watch either major league baseball team, because Fox Sports Net is not carried by Brighthouse and Marlin games on Sunshine are not carried by Brighthouse due to a lack of a contract. Now before you accuse me of being another sports nerd, I do not have issues with Time Warner's overall issue with the NFL network, I believe its an issue that eventually will be solved one way or another; but I think its reasonable for me to expect my cable company to carry the largest regional sports provider and (barring blackout restrictions) games played by the state's major league teams. Brighthouse recently signed a deal to sponsor UCF's new stadium, bravo them, I just hope there games are not on Fox Sports Net. I've spoken with friends in other parts of the country with Time Warner, and they don't have the same issue; frankly it makes no sense here, Brighthouse and for that matter Time Warner have had healthy bottom lines; to blame solely the networks seems one sided.
  • HD programming and On Demand HD is poor, now while you do carry HD NET and INHD, I have a hard time seeing 3 separate public access channels taking space on the HD tier. Also the on demand movies on are not representative of whats available, better selection should be available.
  • I noticed also in the last week, ESPN news, CSTV and 2 other channels showing up on 2 different spots on the lineup, if its due to additional channels being added fine, but frankly leaving it on for over a week, your basically billing for the same channels appearing twice. Hopefully this gets taken care of.
Basically, Brighthouse, service wise does beat Comcast handily, they do have a ways to go with programming and programming decisions. One last thing, something a field tech told me regarding Comcast moving into the market, he applauded it, for one to hopefully drive up his salary and secondly to give Brighthouse some needed competiton; I think competition is good.

I completely respect your post it was very imformative.. Your right, im not saying this isnt a demand for FSN or NFLNET im just saying that all the blame cant be put on just one party. I think both are the reason for the problems. They both are watching their bottom line. But i have to give it to BHN when they have agreed to carry the channels, they only want the ability to make a "special tier" for them so only customers who want it can order them..

As far as your picture quality every tv you have a box on should be all digital, and if the pictrure isnt up to your specs i am sorry, but their is nothing the techs in the field can do to fix that. Its all a compression/transmitting issue if its a certain channel. Sometimes it can be even a broadcast issue from the channel itself. I havent found channels that i was "disgusted with" the quality there is some i notice clearer then others.. Now if your problem is pixeling then the techs should fix that, with digital signal you either have it or you dont.. Their is no change adding "more" signal could fix.

and as far as the last saying about comcast coming, all of our techs i speak to are happy about this.. Compeition is good for employees and customers. Although I cant say i was astatic about the end of year "increase" I willsay it was the best in my 5 years.. The company knows comcast is here and ready to play, (although they will not compete in our biggest market areas, as comcast/twc/bhn have certain agreements they will be on our doorsteps) so they are looking out to our customers and our employees.. Already in areas taht adelphia(comcast) and BHN share customers you get a much better rate then say areas without them aka (non-overbuild areas) but I do see all areas getting closer to the same pricing as more compeition arrives, and id love to see an increase in programming (bandiwdth is tight though)

again thank you for the very educated response and i will defintly relay information about your gripes. Ive always said a nice repsonse gets a better response then a mean response.. I sometimes let the meanies wait an extra day just for their attitude. So when you have a problem be nice, your liekly to have it fixed better :)

I completely respect your post it was very imformative.. Your right, im not saying this isnt a demand for FSN or NFLNET im just saying that all the blame cant be put on just one party. I think both are the reason for the problems. They both are watching their bottom line. But i have to give it to BHN when they have agreed to carry the channels, they only want the ability to make a special for them so only customers who want it can order them..
In their consideration of the Bottom Line, are they looking at all of the money they are loosing, by not carrying FSN Florida and NFL. I know of about 6 people in my neighborhood who are Marlins and/or Panther fans and have dropped BHN and subscribed to DirecTV or DISH, because BHN refuses to carry FSN.

I for am one of them. My $100 a month goes elsewhere. Most cable systems in other areas of Florida carry both Sun Sports and FSN Florida, but maybe they are concerned about what the customers want, as well as their Bottom Line.

I keep looking to see if BHN will pick them up and if they do, will evaluate the possibility of going back to cable. With a 100% digital picture, lots of HD and my sports it would help bring me back.

Your answer is very honest, and appreciated, as I have emailed and called BHN several times asking about the possibility of them picking FSN up. Every time I would get the canned answer of, "Thanks for your suggestion, we will pass it onto our Programing people".

Last edited:
I know of about 6 people in my neighborhood who are Marlins and/or Panther fans and have dropped BHN and subscribed to DirecTV or DISH, because BHN refuses to carry FSN.

In all due respect, 6 people in a neighborhood in Melbourne is a higher percentage than what is seen in the home turf of South Florida that care about the Marlin or Panthers - so you can be assured that percentage is no where near the norm for the entire BHN footprint.

To begin with BHN, is at the whims and mercy of TWC negotiations for Programming to begin with - in one light its good as it keeps costs down buying through TWC - but on the other hand they control the content.

Thus, TWC looks nationwide - not at the percentage of one neighborhood in Melbourne Florida.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts