can 5 lnb dish be mounted on side of house?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

krolmec

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Can a 5 lnb be mounted on the side of a house where a current 3 lnb is? I have many friends who have had new 5 lnb dish placed on their roof. Any pros and cons to either?

The mast, it's foot/bolt pattern is different. So you need an entirely new dish setup. I guess you could try to lag screw a 2x6 over the old location and then mount the new mast on that. but not sure what that would look like. Mounting on the roof is really a personal preference and is no problem as long as your installer knows what they are doing; in fact being on the roof can be a best place; it is a nice high, usually great line of sight and out of harm's way location.

Last edited:
Can a 5 lnb be mounted on the side of a house where a current 3 lnb is? I have many friends who have had new 5 lnb dish placed on their roof. Any pros and cons to either?

Yes you can, if you have a good view of course.
Some have mentioned that you should not do it on vinal siding due to the expanding and contracting of the siding, but thats up to the individual.
If you placed it on a brick house I would see no problems as long as the thing is anchored good, it is rather heavy.
You could make a backboard (like Charper suggested) andmount it that way as well.

Jimbo

Thanks, Its vinyl siding. I guess I'll see what the installer says.

Just had mine mounted on the side of my house. My Phase III was previously mounted on the side as well. Vinyl siding too, although we have the "shingle look" stuff that its more prone to issues with expansion and contraction. Never affected it with the Phase III, but it was located in a shaded area. The 5LNB is around the corner in an area that gets sun and shade during the day.

Time will tell I guess, but I dont see it being an issue. The installer actually started the job assuming it would go on the roof, but (luckily, maybe) it was windy the day of the install.......he got up there and said it would be much better to put it on the side of the house, situated such that its pretty well blocked from the wind. Ended up with even better line of site than my Phase III, and also ended up aligned better too.

-Chris

Slimline install

I had a the 5lnb slimline dish installed about three weeks ago, they put it on the side of the house where I had my previous 3lnb multi-dish installed. I had to provide a little extra support because the base support for the slimline is a little wider, things have been working very well so far. :up

Thanks, Its vinyl siding. I guess I'll see what the installer says.

In theory, if you made the holes in the siding a bit larger than the bolt, lag, whatever you use, by maybe a 1/8 you may be able to still give your siding the needed movement to contract and expand, if your really worried about it.

I personally, don't see aproblem putting it on the siding as long as it is supported behind the siding.

Jimbo

Most eves are not heavy enough for the 5 lnb due to it's addl. weight.

I think he means on the roof, but over the overhang of the roof, so that if it leaks it will not go into the house.

So the fascia or rake board

No, on the roof itself, but over the overhang. The fascia isn't strong enough to support a dish of any size without compromising the fascia board without additional support. A rake board is different, as you can lag into the end roof rafter.

No, on the roof itself, but over the overhang. The fascia isn't strong enough to support a dish of any size without compromising the fascia board without additional support. A rake board is different, as you can lag into the end roof rafter.

Thats a pretty wide rake board your using ... the footprint of the mount in like 7-8"

Jimbo

Thats a pretty wide rake board your using ... the footprint of the mount in like 7-8"

Jimbo

It would be, but you could mount the top holes in the rake and put a same thickness board on the bottom. You should be able to lag into the roof rafter. They are usually 2x10's.

I should have placed a "?" mark in my post.

Sp as I figured it is not in the rake or fascia, but surely not in the eave either; so it IS really is mounted on the actual roof, just at the extreme overhang. I am only trying to pinpoint exactly what you are saying so other new users won't mis-understand an incorrect term thinking they can do something they likely can't do. And then they will be all upset saying they were lied to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts