Can i get some major networks - TVfools info supplied

Man! You have a mind like a steel trap. Actually, I got it working at my house pretty good with a Winegard 7084P. My parents just got Dish, though, and had to take Tri-Cities TN as locals. They wanted WYMT for local news. Anyway, here's the report. It looks like they have pretty good NM on that channel, but we are plagued by multipath pretty bad here.

Man! You have a mind like a steel trap.
nah. You said SE KY and channel 12 and I knew WYMT was on there
(I actually watch some of the newsclips from there on roku)

Actually, I got it working at my house pretty good with a Winegard 7084P.
cool. Glad its working

My parents just got Dish, though, and had to take Tri-Cities TN as locals.
They must be in that oddball county in KY that gets Tri CIties locals. But I know WYMT isnt on satellite even if they could get LEX locals
Anyway, here's the report. It looks like they have pretty good NM on that channel, but we are plagued by multipath pretty bad here.
While I know you have 2 edge, the fact its on VHF helps. When I lived at the lake house (in Northern Minnesota) my CBS (KCCW 12) was 56 miles away, 2edge and 13.5NM on tvfool. I used my Y5 7-13 VHF antenna and it worked great. Now my 2edge is probably trees and not the mountains...but I would think it would work efficiently enough for them to get the local news and any local (Kentucky) sports they want.

They must be in that oddball county in KY that gets Tri CIties locals. But I know WYMT isnt on satellite even if they could get LEX locals
Yep. The next county to the south gets Knoxville, and the county to the north gets Huntington, WV. Everybody else around gets the Lexington, KY channels.

While I know you have 2 edge, the fact its on VHF helps. When I lived at the lake house (in Northern Minnesota) my CBS (KCCW 12) was 56 miles away, 2edge and 13.5NM on tvfool. I used my Y5 7-13 VHF antenna and it worked great. Now my 2edge is probably trees and not the mountains...but I would think it would work efficiently enough for them to get the local news and any local (Kentucky) sports they want.

I went to their house yesterday to give it a try with an old Phillips SDV7400K (I'd estimate about 6 or 7 db gain) that I bought several years ago to use at my house, and a little Element TV that I use as a computer monitor. The signal meter isn't that great on the TV (Bad, Poor, Normal, Good, Excellent), but after a while at 20 ft I was able to pull in WYMT with a "Normal" reading by pointing it at a hill about 150 degrees from the transmitter. I had to do the same thing at my house (but closer to180 degrees) to get a signal that didn't bounce up and down all the time. From the specs, the Stellar Labs antennas have much more gain and bigger F/B ratio, but I wonder how they are at rejecting side interference.

wonder if height will help? Sometimes a foot up or down can make a difference
It's possible. I tried it at 15, 20, and 22 feet and there was no appreciable difference in reception when pointing it directly at the tower... in and out every few seconds. According to TV Fool, even if I go up to over 50 ft, there will only be a 2-3 db gain. When I pointed at the hill in the other direction, I got basically the same reception at 4 ft holding it in my hand as I did at 20 ft; and a solid locked signal with no drops (at least for the 15 minutes that stood there checking it).

I'm thinking that pointing toward the tower I will always get 2-edge from the two hills to the left front of their house, but when I turn the antenna around I get a straight reflection from the taller hill to the right and behind their house. It has a relatively steep and flat face to the slope. At my house I went from 66 on the Dish network OTA tuner to 92 by doing the same thing; but I had a much larger antenna. If the Dish installer hasn't made it out yet by the time I get home from work, I'll hook the old Coolsat 8000 up to the antenna. It has a better signal meter for OTA than the TV does.

. If the Dish installer hasn't made it out yet by the time I get home from work, I'll hook the old Coolsat 8000 up to the antenna. It has a better signal meter for OTA than the TV does.
from your other post in the dish area it sounds like you found a "sweet spot" for the antenna and its showing a 80 on the dish meter. Hope it works out for them!

Ordered a few antennas today....the 30-2475 30-2476 plus a 30-2486 along with a VHF UHF combiner 33-2230

Plan is to try the small one outside, if a no go, try the larger one.....if small works outside, will try it in the attic (being way too optimistic here I think)
That 3rd antenna came with a mast and is all bands so theoretically I think I could attach it to the UHF port of the combiner ? and have the VHF come from the fringe antenna.....

Ordered a few antennas today....the 30-2475 30-2476 plus a 30-2486 along with a VHF UHF combiner 33-2230

Plan is to try the small one outside, if a no go, try the larger one.....if small works outside, will try it in the attic (being way too optimistic here I think)
That 3rd antenna came with a mast and is all bands so theoretically I think I could attach it to the UHF port of the combiner ? and have the VHF come from the fringe antenna.....
yes with the combiner you can get the UHF off the combo antenna and VHF off the separate one.
Thats what I did for a bit. Had a combo unit for UHF and a separate VHF antenna (where I lived at the time the VHF station was NW of me and the UHF were dead west, Was dealing with translator stations and 50+ mile distance)

Based on my experience if I were you I'd save myself the trouble of putting together the 30-2475 and just go with the 30-2476 for your VHF channels. The 2475 is an excellent VHF antenna with great power, but considering the power levels of your weakest signals I think I'd just go with the big boy from the start.

Based on my experience if I were you I'd save myself the trouble of putting together the 30-2475 and just go with the 30-2476 for your VHF channels. The 2475 is an excellent VHF antenna with great power, but considering the power levels of your weakest signals I think I'd just go with the big boy from the start.

I will do that, and assume attic install is a fantasy? Do I just aim to signal source and experiment since I'm searching for edge signal?

I will do that, and assume attic install is a fantasy? Do I just aim to signal source and experiment since I'm searching for edge signal?

Attic installs are difficult to predict because it depends on the roofing material, siding, etc. Honestly you might get lucky with some of the VHF stations. In my market our assigned ABC channel is on VHF 70+ miles away, with a power level of about 10db. I can stand in my living room and pick it and the other local VHF up with the 30-2475 but both are 1Edge stations for me. I have a third DMA close by with two 2Edge VHF channels at about 5-6db on the power level and I'm just below what it takes to receive them with the 2475. Since the 2476 will get you 1-2 db more, it might help. I've considered ordering one myself to try it out. Since yours are 2Edge, and a few are under 10db I think you'd be better off trying the 30-2476.

I like the TVTowers USA app on my iPhone myself for aiming, but you can just use a compass.

I will do that, and assume attic install is a fantasy?
probably
Do I just aim to signal source and experiment since I'm searching for edge signal?
aim like tvfool says and you can "tweak" from there for optimum signal. Also moving it up and down the pole might help too
When I aimed my VHF (56 miles away 2 edge) I had to have it about 4 inches above the top of the tripod. If I raised it to the top of the mast (8 feet) signal was worse.

UPDATE....... all the stuff arrived a day earlier than anticipated. I quickly assembled the large fringe antenna, went on the back balcony and laid the antenna on a wooden patio cover we have with a wooden chair under it so it is level. Nothing (new that is). Then I aimed while keeping it horizontal, nothing. Then I held it and pointed it up a tad, picked up 7.1 7.2 7.3 thats it. Once I found those, I tried to aim it and put it down but it seems it needs my body to work ?? weird ? Should I mount it and try to aim it that way ?

UPDATE....... all the stuff arrived a day earlier than anticipated. I quickly assembled the large fringe antenna, went on the back balcony and laid the antenna on a wooden patio cover we have with a wooden chair under it so it is level. Nothing (new that is). Then I aimed while keeping it horizontal, nothing. Then I held it and pointed it up a tad, picked up 7.1 7.2 7.3 thats it. Once I found those, I tried to aim it and put it down but it seems it needs my body to work ?? weird ? Should I mount it and try to aim it that way ?

Sounds like you may be too close to the ground, and the presence of your body is affecting the signal. I would try at different heights near rooftop level somehow and see if you can not only regain KABC/7.1, but also channels 9, 11 and 13, which should be similar in power level. If the neighbor's house is directly in the path to Mount Wilson, you answered your own question before ordering the equipment. Without adequate clearance, you may have to wander around the yard and pray for a stray hot spot of signal. I once had an installation on UHF only frequencies that just never satisfied me out-of-doors at any height. So just to try something different I tried an indoor rabbit ear antenna in my customer's bedroom on the 2nd floor. Strangely enough it worked better than anywhere outdoors.
So we rigged up a 4-bay bowtie antenna on a 5-foot mast on a tripod with a piece of wood on the bottom for ballast, inside the clothes closet. Out of sight, out of mind. Signal is wherever you can find it, and you may end up finding an indoor location near a window by accident. Keep trying!

Reactions: Mr Tony
I once had an installation on UHF only frequencies that just never satisfied me out-of-doors at any height. So just to try something different I tried an indoor rabbit ear antenna in my customer's bedroom on the 2nd floor. Strangely enough it worked better than anywhere outdoors.
So we rigged up a 4-bay bowtie antenna on a 5-foot mast on a tripod with a piece of wood on the bottom for ballast, inside the clothes closet. Out of sight, out of mind. Signal is wherever you can find it, and you may end up finding an indoor location near a window by accident. Keep trying!
I agree Mike
When I lived in my apartment I put the antenna as high up as I could. Found out lowering it 4 feet on the mast gave me better results than "as high as the sky"

I'd still try and get it higher than what you have right now.
When dealing with 2edge signals its a crap shoot on height

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)