Can i still record on TV 2 and watch on TV 1 if I have a Tivo connected to TV 1?

Minks77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Left coast
I just got Dish and I hate it more than iOS7, and that's a lot. I want to reconnect my Tivo series II so I can use that to operate the TV. I'm pretty sure I know how to set it up, but I want to know if I can then record on TV 2 but watch on TV 1. I don't need the remote to operate the TV, only the DVR part so maybe I can?

Any hints on setting it up (just in case I'm wrong would be appreciated. I'm putting the Coax from TV 1 into the Tivo and that into my TV).

Thanks very much.

I just got Dish and I hate it more than iOS7, and that's a lot. I want to reconnect my Tivo series II so I can use that to operate the TV. I'm pretty sure I know how to set it up, but I want to know if I can then record on TV 2 but watch on TV 1. I don't need the remote to operate the TV, only the DVR part so maybe I can?

Any hints on setting it up (just in case I'm wrong would be appreciated. I'm putting the Coax from TV 1 into the Tivo and that into my TV).
What dvr from Dish do you have, a 722K? By connecting your Dish dvr into a Tivo Series 2, you'll be watching TV1 in SD and not HD. Why in the world do you want to do that? You're trolling us since this is April 1st, right? You're not making any sense otherwise.
Thanks very much.
Is this an April Fool's joke? Why in the world would you connect a Dish dvr to a Tivo Series2 unit? If you have a 722K then I know the answer. But since this doesn't make a bit of sense, all I can say is read your owners manual that came with your dvr. The answer is in there.

Lulwut

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is no joke. I asked for a 622 and they gave me the 722. For me to get the 622 I'd have to pay $150. I ranted at them for an hour for changing what I asked for without explaining but they said too bad, they have no record of that.

To use this is beyond horrible. I want to be able to control my TV using my Tivo. I just found the owners manual in a corner where the install tech threw it. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask someone here instead of trying to wade through pages upon pages and end up not being able to find an answer to something that most likely is not in there.

If you can't help, fine but hopefully someone will be able to actually help me with an answer.

If you received the wrong equipment and are unhappy with it there is no reason to be stuck with it. You need to contact Dirt and get this straightened out.

Are you sure you mean 622?

The 622 and 722 have almost identical functionality, with the 722 having a bigger disk, an fast enough chipset to handle a Sling Adapter. That's about it. If you were happy with a 622, you should be even happier with a 722.

I spent an hour on the phone the other night with Eddie Muro in "the president's office" discussing my problems with the remote, that I have some visual problems which makes it hard for me to use it and wanted one with bigger buttons. He said the only way for me to get remote like that was to get the 622 or 522. A 522 would cost me $15 and the 622 would cost me $115, I think. I have detailed notes about my conversation when I ordered Dish because (where I specifically did not want HD) who I talked to and what I asked for and he didn't care and had no interest in resolving this issue with me.

I found them completely insensitive to someone with disabilities and I refuse to give them any more money. Because of my complete dissatisfaction with Dish company, how totally user unfriendly it is, how outdated it is, I'd rather get my Tivo up and running so I can use that to control the TV in my LR. This will ensure that I don't have to spend any more time dealing with incompetent people for technical help, or any help.

I was in chat with someone yesterday for 1/2 hour. She was going to turn the problem over to the engineers when I said the same Eddie Muro said something was set wrong. The tech left the Mode switch in the wrong position. A 1/2 hour for that.

My tv watching needs are very simple. And the tech guy went over the basics but I am not happy with how this works compared to my Tivo which was user friendly and easy to use. I find this to be completely unwieldy.

Something is not off for me. I am a disabled and housebound and have my own reasons for not wanting to deal with this mess.

I didn't ask anyone to analyze me or me reasons. Just answer a question. If you can't, then fine.

I'm confused to why you can't do the same exact thing you had with the 622 on the 722. You say that the equipment is outdated, you are right, that's why they upgraded you to the 722 which is newer. If you really wanted the most up to date equipment then you would have the Hopper system but I doubt that would fit your needs.

You're missing the point. It's not about the receiver. It' about how it functions, how I can't use the remote, how Dish has no "accessible" remote that works with the 722 (per Eddie Muro) and that I would have to pay to change receivers.

If no one can answer my question, please stop telling me what receiver I need. It's not about the receiver. All I want to know is if I use my Tivo to work the TV can i still watch things I recorded on TV 2 on TV 1. Very simple question.

You're missing the point. It's not about the receiver. It' about how it functions, how I can't use the remote, how Dish has no "accessible" remote that works with the 722 (per Eddie Muro) and that I would have to pay to change receivers.

If no one can answer my question, please stop telling me what receiver I need. It's not about the receiver. All I want to know is if I use my Tivo to work the TV can i still watch things I recorded on TV 2 on TV 1. Very simple question.
If you recorded on the TIVO it is not on the hard drive of your DISH DVR so NO you can't watch it on your DISH DVR.
TiVo series 2 was the last model of TiVo that can operate a DISH satellite receiver using a remote IR sender. The DISH receiver is used only as a tuner to send a signal to the TiVo to record. The 722 will record programming from DISH and send that signal to your connected TV, the remote control from the 722 can also be programmed to operate your TV.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to tell you what to do I'm just trying to understand what you are trying to do. It seems very strange that you are using a Dish DVR and a Tivo DVR together.Generally you would either have one or the other, not both connected together.

can i still watch things I recorded on TV 2 on TV 1. Very simple question.

The answer to that simple question is - yes. There is one list of recordings on the 722 that contains items recorded from either TV1 or TV2. However, I don't think you are asking the right question for the situation you are describing.

And just so you know, the remote for the 722 can operate you TV also.

Yes I'm aware of that. I see I may not have been clear enough. If I record something on TV2 with the satellite, can I watch it on TV1? I know the TV 1 remote doesn't control the TV but will it work to just watch something I recorded?

It doesn't matter if you record a show on TV1 or TV2 you are able to watch it from either TV1 or TV2. You can program the TV1 remote to run your TV and use it to watch recordings. I'm assuming we are only talking about the Dish receiver here?

"TV1" and "TV2" on the Dish 722 refer to the outputs from that receiver to two separate televisions. The remote with the green tab and TV1 controls the operations of that tuner and its output. The remote with the blue tab and TV2 controls that output. Once something has been recorded on the 722 from either "location", it can be accessed through the DVR menu from either TV1 or TV2. Please note that the 722 also has a single mode if you are only using one television.

Now, if you are outputting content from your 722 into your Tivo and recording it there, you need to use the Tivo to list and view those recordings. You would view those on whatever TV you have connected to the Tivo output.

As mentioned already, the easiest solution I would think would be to connect your 722 directly to your TV, and use your TV1 remote to operate the 722 and your television (on/off, volume and mute). Your Tivo remote will not be able to operate your 722 for channel selection, recordings, etc. These two devices are not designed to work together.

Here's why your option, although good won't work. The whole problem is the remote. I can't use it. The buttons are too small for me to see and I was told they don't have one with bigger buttons that runs that receiver. That's what started this entire thing and that's why I just want to use my Tivo remote to run everything which would be done by connecting it to TV 1 input

I understand the Tivo and Satellite are two separate entities. As it is I can barely record because I can't see the remote buttons.

It would be a bonus to be able to record on the 722 through TV2 once in awhile to get some benefit. That's what I'm asking.

Thanks @TheKrell. That remote is infinitely better. They sent me something, I think a new remote however I was told by Eddie Muro that the one they have won't work with the 722. Maybe he was wrong. I'll see when I get it.

At this point, I don't want to buy anything. Most companies have options for free for users. Even Time Warner and a remote with big buttons that glowed at night. That is also the problem. I don't ever have lights on so it's impossible to see at night. And that doesn't solve my problem for TV 2 which I'm having to cope with.

If I could return this I would. Shame on me for not doing more research.

As TheKrell mentioned, we do offer an EZ Remote (basic) that will work with the 722. Please send me a PM with your account information and I will get one sent out at no cost.

It would be a bonus to be able to record on the 722 through TV2 once in awhile to get some benefit. That's what I'm asking.
You can setup record plus to control what TV you'd like things to record on. I believe that the default setting is enabled and for recordings to be on TV 2.

Menu-Preferences-Record Plus.