Can I use the charger from GPS receiver on my cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelC

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 22, 2004
MA
I bought a new Motorola L6 cell phone. Does anybody know it I can safely use a car charger from my Holux bluetooth GPS receiver on it. They both have a mini USB input. The AC charger on the cell phone outputs 5 volts at 550 ma but the car charger for the GPS receiver outputs 5 volts at 1.0 A. I hate to have carry around another if I don't have to.

Only if the charger has a voltage regulator built in (unlikely), otherwise the voltage will vary depending on the load current. Using the lower rated charger on a device designed for the 1A may burn it up and not charge, Using the 1Amp device without voltage regulation may output too high a voltage for the device and cause premature failure of the device. Unfortunately, there is not enough information in the specs you supplied to know for sure that the larger capacity charger will work without harm to the lighter device.

I wouldn't recommend using a charger from a different device. It could ruin your phone, and that kind of damage is not covered under warranty. Better to play it safe and buy a charger meant for your phone. :)

You know cell phones are protected from wrong voltages. My 2 year old audiovox has given me a thats not my power supply message more than once.

the 1amp device is probably ok on the phone for short periods. you could make up a adapter withn a small resistor to limit current. or with a dead battery check the current draw with a meter.

i think the feds should mandate a standard connector that everyone could live with letting the device regulate its own voltage and current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox 2.0 and Extension/Theme Incompatibilities

DVRs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts