Can LittleBits Save RadioShack?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's about time they went back to their roots, but I for one am afraid it is too late.

Reactions: Titanium
They put all their money in cell phones...bad idea. Nobody buys cell phones at rat shack when they can go to a home store and get better care and customer service.

They had their heyday. Consumer preferences change, markets change and technology changes. Wrong choices were made along the way in response.

Would I like to see Radio Shack pull things back from the brink...of course! I would love to see them go back to their roots and be able to make the stores profitable again. Do I think it will happen...most likely not. Radio Shack abandoned it's roots years ago, and with that, abandoned the customer base that they are looking to bring back with LittleBits and the maker concept. They sold out creativity and innovation for products that you could find almost anywhere. As time passed, people either found other sources or found other hobbies. Sad to say, and I know this isn't true of everyone, but most people don't want to be makers any more. The world has changed. Most people want things made for them - quickly, cheaply and with as little effort on their part as possible.:(

We went from a fix it generation to a replace generation. I loved Radio Shack back then but not now. Small mom and pop stores serve thier customers better than big chains stores.

Reactions: FTA4PA
This is what they promised 2 years ago and didn't deliver. I think they waited too long to go back to their niche market. Trying to compete with the big boys as a phone store was a ludicrous idea that came back to bite them.

Littlebits might help, but the caliber of the help behind the cash register must also improve. It's been a while now, but when I was looking for a variable capacitor the employees were too busy with cell phone contracts/payments. Once they got to me, nobody at this particular Radio Shack had a clue about variable capacitors or even what they do...

I know the internet has changed what stores stock, however - At one point, I knew I could go to pretty much any Radio Shack store and get a capacitor for 60's Motorola car radio or a decent quality TV antenna. Now, I can usually get it from their online site much easier and save the time that I would've gone to the store and explained what I wanted (and what it's for, etc) only to find out I (or they) would have to order it.

As for the cell phone issue, I know of one case where a Radio Shack franchisee decided to break away because he was told that he needed to get into selling cell phones. He ran his store under the original concept for quite a while, stocked good quality parts and I knew he'd know what I was looking for and have what I needed. Eventually (and unfortunately), he decided to retire and close the store...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Retro Tv

Tonight on Satellite Nation, Tommy Martin from AmateurLogic.TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)