can roof support new 5 LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jkh1978

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I had an installer come out yesterday. Said that in the back of my yard, he cannot get a clear signal because my house blocks it. I line in a 3 story townhouse.

Can this dish go on my roof and replace the 3 LNB I have installed? I know they go on different size polls, but the installer said that it is too big to be put on a roof.

I had an installer come out yesterday. Said that in the back of my yard, he cannot get a clear signal because my house blocks it. I line in a 3 story townhouse.

Can this dish go on my roof and replace the 3 LNB I have installed? I know they go on different size polls, but the installer said that it is too big to be put on a roof.

It is not too big to put on a roof. I have it mounted on my garage roof as does my neighbor.

mine is on the roof.I put it up 2 weeks ago in place of my really old 18 in single lnb. I used a 12"x12" 1/4" thick aluminum plate under the dish mount to distribute pressure over the shingles better to keep the dish mount from crushing through them when tightened down and put roof/flashing sealant around the lower side to seal it.I positioned it with the centerline screws right into a roof joist.For the outer sets of holes I cut 2 2x4's about 3' long,drilled through the roof and placed the 2x4's inside the attic and screwed through the outside holes into the 2x4's,the extra 2x4 length gives it a lot of support.Then obviously make sure its all sealed good.My old 18" was mounted the same way in the same spot for at least 12 years with no issues,the at9 has been up for a couple weeks now with no issues.It takes 2 people to do it this way,grab a buddy and shove him in the attic.I agree with charper1,installer just doesn't want to put forth the effort or more than likely doesn't want to be responsible for a leak if he doesn't get it sealed properly.

I love how all the directv installers say that you cant put a KA/KU on a roof when all i see is lots of Dish Network Super Dishes on roofs...its the same size, and almost the same weight...so blah blah...just put it on a roof....

I do it all the time...if done right NO PROBLEMS

Alot depends on how old your roof is too. I have 5/8 plywood and 2 X 8 rafters,,, I still bolt my stuff to the rafters with 2 of the bolts, I am on the gulf about 1500 ft from the water and have had 100 mph winds not bother my dishes or my OTA Antenna. Just make sure the person knows what he is doing.

So is it on a roof or is it on a pole? Make yourself clear.

Mine is on the roof. I then went in the attic and sealed the inside with waterproofing, even though the installer did it from the top. I live in Florida and I'm making sure NOTHING makes that thing leak.

I just drove by a new developement here in town today. Same setup as the OP (tall townhouses) and I saw AT9, Superdishes, and Globecast dishes on the roof (all about the same size) :)

Heck at one point I had on my roof

30" motorized FTA dish
37x27 StarChoice dish
Dish500
another 30" dish motorized

Attachments

• IM000378.JPG
    IM000378.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 212
What i should do, is take a digital camera with me to work cause I install all my KA/KU dishes on the roofs.....

The issue most probabaly is no the size of the dish..Most likely the tech made that up becuase he didn't have a 40+ foot ladder to get to the roof of your townhome..If a tech carries a ladder of that size, God bless him...
I will not install at that height..One false move and I am a memory..It just isn' that important to me for someone to get satellite tv for me to put my health and life at risk..Did the tech check the other side of the building?
Or does your association disallow satellite antennas in the front of the buiding?...
Bottom line is multi family dwelling life is not fair..there are certain tradeoffs that buyers decide to subject themselves to..one of them is the possibilty that the installation of the satellite system of the owner's choice may not be possible.

mine is on the roof.I put it up 2 weeks ago in place of my really old 18 in single lnb. I used a 12"x12" 1/4" thick aluminum plate under the dish mount to distribute pressure over the shingles better to keep the dish mount from crushing through them when tightened down and put roof/flashing sealant around the lower side to seal it.I positioned it with the centerline screws right into a roof joist.For the outer sets of holes I cut 2 2x4's about 3' long,drilled through the roof and placed the 2x4's inside the attic and screwed through the outside holes into the 2x4's,the extra 2x4 length gives it a lot of support.Then obviously make sure its all sealed good.My old 18" was mounted the same way in the same spot for at least 12 years with no issues,the at9 has been up for a couple weeks now with no issues.It takes 2 people to do it this way,grab a buddy and shove him in the attic.I agree with charper1,installer just doesn't want to put forth the effort or more than likely doesn't want to be responsible for a leak if he doesn't get it sealed properly.
Just a minute..Just because you are capable of and have the means and time to create a better roof mount doesn't mean anything..
Do you think satellite techs shpuld be prepared at their expense perform miracles such as the one you did 12 years ago?..I am impressed you had the means and abilty to build the world's best roof mount..But we as techs don't have that luxury.
You had all day to think that one over and all the time you required to build that thing..We have a but a few minutes to decide where the dish can go, and how to get the job complete. Then we go to work..Then we do that three to 5 times a day depending on how many jobs we have athat day and other factors...Oh yeah, most of us work alone.I would have to pay someone out of my pocket to have a helper..Pay rates don't allow for that type of expense.
I am sick and tired of people outside the business coming on here and complaining about techs who won't go through extraordinary measures( free of charge no doubt) so someone can their tv fix..

Heck at one point I had on my roof

30" motorized FTA dish
37x27 StarChoice dish
Dish500
another 30" dish motorized
as you know i have more than a few dishes on my roof 6
bell 82 80cm
dtv 101 80cm i think
dish 1000
bell 91 90cm
starchoice 75cm
above garage
at9 on upper roof

as you know i have more than a few dishes on my roof 6
bell 82 80cm
dtv 101 80cm i think
dish 1000
bell 91 90cm
starchoice 75cm
above garage
at9 on upper roof
My Goodness....How much tv can you watch?....
Judging by the size of the antennas used, I will go out on a limnb and say that rain fade is infrequent....

Mine is on the roof. I then went in the attic and sealed the inside with waterproofing, even though the installer did it from the top. I live in Florida and I'm making sure NOTHING makes that thing leak.
THAT is a very good idea..The exterior sealant usually does the trick as long as it is applied properly. The underneath stuff can't hurt..

Status
Please reply by conversation.