Can you paint a 1.2m plastic dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TreDEE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I posted this over in the DirecTV forum, but have received no hits. I have a homeowner requesting that we paint their dish, but it is plastic, and I am unsure if it can be painted or what type of paint would work. It is the 1.2m triple lnb dish (99,101,103) that is used in Hawaii and Alaska to capture DirecTV. The reflector itself is made of a hardened plastic, white in color. Thanks for any help.

While not familiar with the dish in question, and never having painted a dish, I would like to offer the following in the hope that it would spur others to expand on the thought, or give you a new lead to investigate. I have read (here on satelliteguys, most likely) that the RF-reflective surface on large 'plastic' (fiberglass?) dishes is painted on, itself. As long as that reflective surface is not compromised, it is safe to paint or overcoat with anything.

I hope there were enough disclaimers in the above to prevent you from ... killing their signal. If I were doing it to my own dish, a uniformly thin coating would be my priority, to equalize refraction.

Sure you can. Just wash it with soap and water, then rough it up a bit with a scotch-brite pad, and paint it with one of the many spray paints for plastic. I use Krylon Fusion Brand, and it holds up well. All my 1m Primestar/Channelmaster dishes have gotten this treatment. :up

I painted my dish

Look at my avatar, it's a photo of my dish painted with a flat brown primer.

From my research, you want to use a flat color. If glossy, you stand a chance of burning out the LNB from the sun. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)