Canada: CBC signals plans to go full streaming, ending traditional TV and radio broadcasts

primestar31
Think they will be broadcasting for quite a while after just spending millions on new transmitter facilities all over the country. Suppose they could sell off that infrastructure for a few pennies on the dollar once that broadcast equipment is out-dated...
Their ATSC broadcast is 1080P which is nice to watch. Many up here won't be able to stream that kind of bandwidth. Also I think you have to pay to watch their on-line content... which is a real rotten deal considering all the government funding that goes into CBC; we have to pay twice!

primestar31
Think they will be broadcasting for quite a while after just spending millions on new transmitter facilities all over the country. Suppose they could sell off that infrastructure for a few pennies on the dollar once that broadcast equipment is out-dated...
Their ATSC broadcast is 1080P which is nice to watch. Many up here won't be able to stream that kind of bandwidth. Also I think you have to pay to watch their on-line content... which is a real rotten deal considering all the government funding that goes into CBC; we have to pay twice!
I thought it was free thru the CBC app but that was years ago

Title is a little misleading, as it's in their plans to move to streaming, but lack of nationwide broadband access is holding them back and it's unlikely to happen in the next decade.

The head of the CBC says it is preparing to end traditional TV and radio broadcasts and move completely digital, as audiences shift to streaming, but the move is unlikely to happen over the next decade.

Yep, they want you to create an account with credit card. They don't get my credit card... they already get my tax money. NO MORE!!

Reactions: stecle
Yep, they want you to create an account with credit card. They don't get my credit card... they already get my tax money. NO MORE!!
That's wrong. I just created a free account, and wasn't asked for a credit card. Did you click on trying Premium for free for 30 days? If so, then I can see them asking for a credit card in case you decide (by not cancelling at any time) to continue the service.

Reactions: osu1991 and Cham
Ok, I tried a second time and it went through without asking for the CC. Weird. Used a different email address with a .ca suffix maybe that made a difference... Now I can access the local and other regional programming. Seems for some reason previously it went straight to the premium link. I have checked out the site in the past and same thing came up regarding credit card payment.
Not that i'll spend a lot of time watching this as we do get the local signal off the air, but it is an option if need be.

My e-mail address ends in .com so no problem there for me. But your experience is definitely strange!

I doubt I'll use my account much or at all, as I get quite a number of CBC channels from across the country with my Shaw Direct account.

They let you watch a lot of content without even needing to set up a free account. You do not need to sign in to watch the live stream of CBOT Ottawa, for instance.

The national and regional newscasts also stream freely worldwide through the CBC News website.

Reactions: Keith Brannen
I wouldn't be surprised if the stations were sold in some Canadian markets and converted to other Canadian networks, like CTV or CTV2 or become independent stations altogether...