Canadian Spot Beams?

przywara

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
Delaware
I plan to install a Shaw dish in Ohio, with the intention of getting Vancouver and Ontario. I have a great deal of experience with Dish and Direct spot beams, and decifering the madness with the help of this forum. What is the status of spot beam use by Shaw in Canada? I know I can get the 107.3wAnik F1, F1R and 111.1w Anik F2, but looking at SatBeams, I saw all the spot beams. I admit, some of them make no sense covering Florida or Phoenix, but it did give me reason to pause.

Do I need to worry about city specific spots for the Provinces or is it all still CONUS.

Any help, even pointers for research, would be appreciated.

F1 and F2 reach up to Central America, G1 just covers part of the northern US.
Local SD channels are on F1 and F2. Toronto locals on HD are also avaiable from those sats, but other HD locals are on G1, i think that in OH, you should be within G1´s footprint.
Therefore I think you shouldn´t have a problem with getting the Vancouver and Toronto (Ontario) locals with your setup in Ohio.
That is, locals are not on spotbeams (like on Dish for example) but are on the national footprint.
For example I have signal for Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, etc, local channels.

Last edited:
SD doesn't use spot beams like D* or E*. Every channel on a given sat is available within its footprint, as noted by DJDish. I'm in northern OH and get G1 just fine.

If you are in Deleware, OH, you should be able to receive all three satellites even with a standard 60 cm Shaw dish. As mentioned by others, no spot beams, you can get locals from all over the country depending on your subscription. An alternative to the shaw dish would be two separate dishes pointed at 107 and 111; the 107 would need an xkU LNB, whereas the one at 111 would require a standard ku LNB. You would also need to use a switch with this set-up.

I am in the 'other Delaware' the state :) I have been to Delaware, OH before though.

Install is in Columbus, and it sounds like I will be fine. Glad they don't spot beam the locals, for that is what I need.

And that´s an advantage. Tonight some of my favorite shows were aired 4 times in different local channels (across the 6 times zones).;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts