CANAM Satellites

onlineLC caller id blocking only works for normal phone numbers not tollfree #'s they can see your number on the otther end if they have the right pone setup..

onlineLC caller id blocking only works for normal phone numbers not tollfree #'s they can see your number on the otther end if they have the right pone setup..

Thanks I did not know that. Sounds like Vonage is not a viable solution. It only gives you the benefit of a Canadian number that Bell can call.

Another option is to get setup with Vonage Canada. Once they deliver the box to a Canadian address of your choice, activate it and then you can take it to the US.

Thanks I did not know that. Sounds like Vonage is not a viable solution. It only gives you the benefit of a Canadian number that Bell can call.
That's pretty much the only thing you need.
You can use use *69 when you call to hide your number.
And they will have a Canadian number to call you at, especially if you have more than 1 or 2 receivers and they call to do a location verification on the reicevers (since they're not hooked to the phone line). I told them that I was cell only, so the receivers can't be hooked up.

*69, in Ontario anyways, is last number called in (audible call display). *67 blocks your number displayed on calling out to residental numbers. If calling a toll free number, as stated earlier, they have the option to see your number even if you blocked it since they are paying for the call. We have to use *67 often at our high school when calling students parents. The kids block our calling home from school numbers and we have to block our number to get through. Little twerps keep trying though.

Satboyz

*69, in Ontario anyways, is last number called in (audible call display). *67 blocks your number displayed on calling out to residental numbers. If calling a toll free number, as stated earlier, they have the option to see your number even if you blocked it since they are paying for the call.
I meant *67.
We have to use *67 often at our high school when calling students parents. The kids block our calling home from school numbers and we have to block our number to get through. Little twerps keep trying though.
Of course all the kids have to do is enable "Private Call Blocking" to stop you from using *67.

but since you cant call the Bell toll free number from the US you have to use the TO number which is long distance so *67 works ;)

but since you cant call the Bell toll free number from the US you have to use the TO number which is long distance so *67 works ;)
Actually I don't think the TO (416) number works anymore. The last few times I've called in, I had to call the 800 number.
The CSR's never cared, I gave them the Canadian number on my account and they fixes whatever it was I needed at the time, no questions asked.
If asked why I was on a U.S. line, I would just say my wife had me make the call, and I was on travel for work (which was usually half true, as all my calls were generally made at work, because they seem to work banker hours).

If they ever wanted to verify the Canadianess of my account, they would call my Canadian number, and I would easily answer that. It even works for location ID's since I have 3 active recievers.

So what are people doing with their dead receivers?

Has anyone figured out anything useful to do with their old CanAm receivers? It looks like they'll all be blacklisted, but they are still units with a good ATSC tuner (I get 26 channels!) and can be used as a manual PVR. I wasn't sure how I would sell one on Ebay, given all of the disclaimers I'd have to put in. When I get another ATSC solution fully working, I expect I won't have a lot of use for this unit. I'm just wondering if there's something better than giving it to my nephew who hacks and looking the other way :)

Saw a 9242 that could not be activated sell for around $160 on ebay. Seller was very clear it could not be activated in the listing.

Nope, you need an SSN.

When I signed up for Dish 4 years ago they settled on my just giving the last 4 digits of my "SSN." Because I don't have one, I used the last 4 digits of my Canadian SIN and that worked fine; as both the American and Canadian cards use the same algorithm. They might have changed it since then- but that's what I did anyway.

And if any Americans are looking to set up a mailbox in Canada for a service address, I might suggest that you look at setting it up in Alberta, as we don't have Provincial sales tax here, so that will save you 7-8%. Of course that means no LeafsTV as that is a Toronto area only channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)