Canceling vs suspending Service

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Hello all,

I've been with DirecTV traditional satellite service since 2011. I moved about 14 months ago to a home that includes cable in the monthly HOA. I put the service on suspension and then re-suspended it again to make it over a year.

My account has grandfathered offerings such as HD Free for Life with HR24 (still have the unit) with no MRV fee plus I was on a discontinued package.

I don't see myself moving any time soon so what should I do? I know the equipment is obsolete but I did enjoy the service. Time to cancel? Will they want the HR24 back?

While you never know for sure they probably won't want the HR24 back. But you should prepare for the fact they may not allow you to ever reactivate it again should you restart Directv service. Obviously those grandfathered discounts will be gone for good.

I cancelled DirecTV satellite back in February of this year and they wanted all their stuff back (HR44, 2 HR24's, and a H25 receiver).
But, I have heard that for some customers they don't want the older equipment retuned so don't be surprised either way.
Sending equipment back isn't a big hassle. Just take it to a UPS store, they'll scan the bar code on the stuff you are sending back and give you a receipt. Make sure you have your account number with you and keep the receipt in case they claim you didn't send the stuff back.
They will send you an email with instructions on what they want back and how to ship it back.

Hello all,

I've been with DirecTV traditional satellite service since 2011. I moved about 14 months ago to a home that includes cable in the monthly HOA. I put the service on suspension and then re-suspended it again to make it over a year.

My account has grandfathered offerings such as HD Free for Life with HR24 (still have the unit) with no MRV fee plus I was on a discontinued package.

I don't see myself moving any time soon so what should I do? I know the equipment is obsolete but I did enjoy the service. Time to cancel? Will they want the HR24 back?
Unless your discounts are more then the new customer offers, just cancel, you can always sign back up after a few months and get 2 years of new customer discounts, then some more updated equipment.

Or the win back dept might call you back and give you deals to try and keep you and if you use the same boxes there would be no contract or you could call them and see what they offer you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)