Can't get broadband to connect

seattle vic

Feb 14, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Hello,

I'm new here; got my Dish installed a week ago. I have two 722 receivers, and purchased a homeplug unit that I connected to my internet router. It worked and allowed me to search and download lists of movies that I could order. To test, I did download a couple of free movies and they worked. After a day (and for more than a week), I cannot download any broadband information, even though the system says I'm connected. I have an ip address assigned, dns, etc.

I've reset the box of course.

The technical support is not good; generally people who are thumbing through troublshooting guides written for them. I asked if they could check and see if my recievers have initiated requests on their site, but with little help. Language seems to be a barrier, so I assume I'm talking with India. They won't connect to an engineer or somebody who has any real technical knowledge.

The only thing I did between when it was working and not working was eliminated a GFI in the string of one of my receivers. For some reason, it worked with the GFI and is not working now. I don't know if that's the reason, but is the only difference I can see. I guess I'll go and put it back next.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

The only thing I did between when it was working and not working was eliminated a GFI in the string of one of my receivers. For some reason, it worked with the GFI and is not working now. I don't know if that's the reason, but is the only difference I can see. I guess I'll go and put it back next.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I think you just answered your own question.

I think you just answered your own question.

Ha. Yes, you may be right. Counter-intuitive as they tell you to remove the GFI. I'm an old EE, so was trying to figure why making a direct connection (ie, no GFI) could make it worse, and it doesn't make sense.

But I'll switch it out tomorrow and let you'all know what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)