Can't pick a new phone

Good. When I had AT&T with Edge, I would often stream Sirius Internet Radio through my phone and during that time I couldn't receive calls or texts, which was ultra annoying then and now would be potentially dangerous since I have a child now and would need to be reached at any given time.

Sounds like it was a problem with your phone and not AT&T. When I was with AT&T this was not an issue. The phone would stop the app and the call or text would come through with no issues.

Sounds like it was a problem with your phone and not AT&T. When I was with AT&T this was not an issue. The phone would stop the app and the call or text would come through with no issues.
I'm pretty sure this wasn't a phone issue because this happened on 2 separate phones. It may have been due to the app, which was originally written for Windows Mobile 5 (and was used in 6 and 6.1 as well.) Regardless, as long as I know this behavior won't be replicated with Verizon then all is good. I'm actually going to stop by a Verizon store on the way home from work and check out the Moto Droid and Incredible.

Another question: What sort of computer software do these phones come with? Do they interface easily with PCs?

2. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Incredible, but I'm not making any decisions until I get both of them in my hands. I realize that the Incredible is faster, and while the Droid is by no means "outdated," I am concerned about 550 mhz processor versus 1 ghz. I realize that clock speed isn't everything, but can anyone speak to how these two compare in typical real world scenarios? I'd prefer ones that don't require rooting, but whatever.

I've owned both and while the Droid was not terribly slow there was a noticeable lagginess at times. It was most annoying when doing any type of scrolling such as app menus or web pages. The Incredible definitely doesn't have that laggy feel to it. Sense and Snapdragon have the fluid feel that I grew accustomed to on the Zune HD.

So I tried out the Droid and Incredible at the Verizon store, and I have to say that early impressions of both were rather lacking. I do attribute much of that to me being in a bad mood at the time due to traffic issues and other things that happened on the way there, and I will definitely try both out again soon before purchasing, but here's some very early thoughts:

So far I'm leaning towards the Incredible. I liked the UI better and the overall experience seemed smoother than that of the Droid.

Both keyboard schemes leave much to be desired (no pun intended) in my opinion. Admittedly, I have no experience with a touch screen keyboard, but so far I wasn't exactly thrilled by it. When holding the phones vertically, my thumbs were less than precise and I would often hit the wrong keys. When held horizontally, the letters were spread so far apart that it became uncomfortable. I also wasn't a fan of the Droid's hard keyboard either. I didn't like the ultra-flat layout and felt like I was typing with my fingernails as opposed to my fingers. I prefer the raised button format found on Blackberries and my Motorola Q9h.

I don't know if it was the network or the browser or the phone, but the web browsers seemed a little slow.

It looks like the only way to "close" apps is with an app killing program. I didn't see anywhere in the browser, texting, or android shop that would do this function.

Overall, I think if I spent more time with the phones I would enjoy them more, but maybe I was expecting a little too much.

It looks like the only way to "close" apps is with an app killing program. I didn't see anywhere in the browser, texting, or android shop that would do this function.

With the majority of the apps on Android you can select the menu key while in the application and there is an option for quit. This does not apply for all of the applications but many of them are this way.

I also noticed last night that Verizon is now offering a buy one get one free on the Droid. Not sure if this makes a differecne to you but I know you were looking at bringing the wife over to Verizon as well.

Not sure how the coverage is in your area but you might also want to look at Sprint if you are going to have multiple data plans on your account. If you look at them I would wait until the EVO is released in June.

With the majority of the apps on Android you can select the menu key while in the application and there is an option for quit. This does not apply for all of the applications but many of them are this way.

I also noticed last night that Verizon is now offering a buy one get one free on the Droid. Not sure if this makes a differecne to you but I know you were looking at bringing the wife over to Verizon as well.

Not sure how the coverage is in your area but you might also want to look at Sprint if you are going to have multiple data plans on your account. If you look at them I would wait until the EVO is released in June.
My wife won't be having a data plan. If she did, yes the 2 droid deal would be beneficial, but since she's not a power user like me and doesn't use her phone to browse the web and such, we'll save the extra $30 off our bill instead. She doesn't have a data plan now either.

This debacle continues. I'm still hesitant about switching providers. I hear numerous praising stories about Verizon, but for all the anecdotal horror stories about AT&T, I really don't have any complaints and like the fact that (overall) it has the fastest 3G network. It's starting to feel like the Nexus One is the best overall option now, as it provides the "definitive" Android experience, will get updates with less delays, and has very good hardware. Unfortunately, $529+ for a phone is a very tough pill to swallow, although I understand this comes with the territory when getting a quasi-unlocked phone. Does anyone have experience with the N1?

It looks like my options are:

1. Stick with current AT&T plan, get the Nexus One and throw down $529.
2. Stick with current AT&T plan, and pray that AT&T gets some good Androids soon.
3. Go to Verizon and get the Incredible, and bring my wife over as well (don't want to have to deal with 2 cell companies. I'll just pay the ETF since it's less than another month's bill anyways.) $160/month
4. Go to Sprint and get the EVO, bring over wife. $130/month.

The simplest thing would be #1, but that also has a good deal of risk, not to mention the greatest up front charges. I don't think I have the patience for #2. #3 is appealing, assuming that Verizon doesn't end up sucking (also I think I can convince them to give me a 2nd phone free as long as it's not another Incredible.) #4 is appealing from a cost standpoint, since I'd be paying less than what I do now, get more minutes, and also my wife would get a data plan as well. Still, Sprint isn't exactly known for stellar service, and I don't see myself paying extra to use 4G (assuming it's ever unveiled here) or the WiFi hotspot capabilities (which I'm SURE they'll be disabling, even in Android 2.2)

Thoughts?

I guess it really depends on what type of service you receive in your area. I know here AT&T has pretty much the top rated services with Verizon and Sprint being tied or second. If you can talk to somebody who uses Sprint it would sure be nice to save the $360 per year from going to Verizion IMO.

After much debate and soul searching, I decided to stick with AT&T and get the N1. I wasn't shot in the ass about switching providers as I mentioned, and while Verizon and Sprint did have their benefits, I had cost concerns about the former and coverage concerns with the latter, two issues I don't really have with AT&T. I didn't even consider T-Mobile because their 3G coverage in my state is so bad that it resembles AT&T's 3G coverage from 2+ years ago. Also I was able to reduce $30 a month off my current AT&T bill, so saving $360 a year does ease my up front costs a little bit. It's also good that I'm not extending my contract in order to do this. The free overnight shipping is quite sweet as well. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

After much debate and soul searching, I decided to stick with AT&T and get the N1. I wasn't shot in the ass about switching providers as I mentioned, and while Verizon and Sprint did have their benefits, I had cost concerns about the former and coverage concerns with the latter, two issues I don't really have with AT&T. I didn't even consider T-Mobile because their 3G coverage in my state is so bad that it resembles AT&T's 3G coverage from 2+ years ago. Also I was able to reduce $30 a month off my current AT&T bill, so saving $360 a year does ease my up front costs a little bit. It's also good that I'm not extending my contract in order to do this. The free overnight shipping is quite sweet as well. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
really, i might go with it too

really, i might go with it too
FYI though, getting the Nexus 1 did NOT reduce my monthly bill. It just so happened that I was able to reduce $30 by removing some services I wasn't using. In any case I'm working from home today so as soon as that thing comes in I'll be running and charging that so I can start using the phone ASAP.

After trying this out for a week, I'm sad to say that I think that the Nexus 1 may not be the phone for me. Let me just say that overall it is a good phone and has definitely sold me on the Android OS. That said, the issues I have with it are rather unacceptable for a phone that costs so much, and it is not helped by there being numerous other phones with comparable hardware at much nicer, subsidized prices (Incredible, Droid, EVO, etc). The lack of multitouch, problems staying connected to AT&T, wifi issues, and the fact that this may be available via retail for a discounted price in the next few months just makes it really hard to swallow that $529 price of admission....

After trying this out for a week, I'm sad to say that I think that the Nexus 1 may not be the phone for me. Let me just say that overall it is a good phone and has definitely sold me on the Android OS. That said, the issues I have with it are rather unacceptable for a phone that costs so much, and it is not helped by there being numerous other phones with comparable hardware at much nicer, subsidized prices (Incredible, Droid, EVO, etc). The lack of multitouch, problems staying connected to AT&T, wifi issues, and the fact that this may be available via retail for a discounted price in the next few months just makes it really hard to swallow that $529 price of admission....

So it could very well be AT&T which is the problem. No multi-touch??

You are right, the price of admission is pretty steep though.

I realize that the phone does have multitouch, but it isn't implemented that well. I can't use Nesoid because the phone has issues registering multiple taps on the same axis. For example, in Super Mario Bros, I can't move forward, run, and jump at the same time, which is basically crucial for survival in that game.

Here's my new course of action:

Return my N1 and cancel AT&T for my wife and I (a $90 ETF is hardly a deterrant considering our monthly bill was well above that)
I'll jump on Sprint and get the EVO at some point hopefully before my daughter's first birthday.
I'll put my wife on Virgin Mobile where she can get unlimited web, email and text plus 300 anytime minutes for $25 a month.
With this, monthly phone bill will be about $100. Also, if it turns out Sprint and/or the EVO suck, I can return it within 30 day and get no penalty. I'll try them out before I try out Verizon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)