Carrier IQ Android OEM tracking software... logs your every move... and not happy about XDA

I'm from Canada... but old enough not to trust common sense on those issues. Especially after 9/11...

Diogen.

I'm from Canada... but old enough not to trust common sense on those issues...

Diogen.

I did not say I would not put it past them, but I'm just a bit skeptical. Still, given the extent of the surveillance state created since 9/11, its possible. But it would be the NSA as the master snoop. :)

Based on the nslookup - hupload-vzw99.carrieriq.com - everything
gets dumped onto a CIQ controlled server since it has its domain name.

Now, what could have made Apple pick the same dumping ground as everybody else is using?

I think the simplest answer is: government mandate.
It's irrelevant whether directly, through NSA or the carriers...

The interesting question: How does Microsoft do it?
Or better: How do they hide it?

Diogen.

Based on the nslookup - hupload-vzw99.carrieriq.com - everything
gets dumped onto a CIQ controlled server since it has its domain name.

Now, what could have made Apple pick the same dumping ground as everybody else is using?

I think the simplest answer is: government mandate.
It's irrelevant whether directly, through NSA or the carriers...

The interesting question: How does Microsoft do it?
Or better: How do they hide it?

Diogen.

While Occam's Razor could point to the answer, I guess the more news this generates, the more likely we will eventually find out. Or not. :)

Anybody remembers the KAL Flight 007 of 1983?

If there is one thing I clearly remember even today is US' media (printed, no internet...:)) crying about the fate of the passengers.

Fast forward 18 years. 9/11.
After the towers went down all US passenger planes were equipped with a "we're under attack" notifier.
And a couple times it was activated (by mistake) and jet fighter were taking off to shot the plane down.
Luckily, it never happened. But nobody ever doubted what those jets will do if hijack would be confirmed.
And I've not read a single crying article about the "poor passengers"...

Bottom line: the government doesn't give a f*** about your life in the name of XXXXX.
Replace XXXX with terrorism, WMD, piracy, etc.

Does it care about your privacy?
I don't think the English language has a term to describe what it thinks about it.
Henry Kissinger quote above tells you everything you should know about this...

Diogen.

Remember the stand-off between Apple, AT&T, Google and FCC over Google Voice?
FCC Takes On Apple And AT&T Over Google Voice Rejection | TechCrunch
I don't think a guilty party was ever found. In other words, nobody is perfect...

The CIQ fiasco will produce the same result.
CIQ is an innocent "manufacturer" ("gun maker", anybody?).
Others have the 'splaining to do. At least the US senator says so...

Isn't this the best proof CIQ is under the government wing?

DIogen.

CIQ counterattacks
Carrier IQ categorically denies recording, storing or transmitting personal info | The Verge

Our software makes your phone better by delivering intelligence...Carrier IQ acts as an agent for the Operators.
Each implementation is different and the diagnostic information actually gathered is determined by our customers...
CIQ is the consumer advocate to the mobile operator...

This I like the most
When a user calls to complain about a problem, our software helps Operators’ customer service more quickly identify the specific issue with the phone.
I guess they know about the problem before the customer calls...

Diogen.

Remember the stand-off between Apple, AT&T, Google and FCC over Google Voice?
FCC Takes On Apple And AT&T Over Google Voice Rejection | TechCrunch
I don't think a guilty party was ever found. In other words, nobody is perfect...

The CIQ fiasco will produce the same result.
CIQ is an innocent "manufacturer" ("gun maker", anybody?).
Others have the 'splaining to do. At least the US senator says so...

Isn't this the best proof CIQ is under the government wing?

DIogen.

I never would have taken Diogen for the conspiracy theorist (except anything involving Apple ;) ) but, the more I think about it, the more I see the possibilities. :)

The fact that this has made National News is huge -- and I am glad that EPIC is paying attention to this -- I forgot -- DOH -- Wiretap laws. (As my son would say, you Dolt!).

I call B-S on what the so called computer analyst for NBC claims. I am siding with Rocky on this one. If this software is so innocuous why did CIQ threaten legal action against Trever's findings? Why has this software not been disclosed before and why can't the user opt out. Just doesn't pass the smell test for me.

From the video clip: "...the software does listen to keystrokes but doesn't write it down"
----Security Consultant

Really?... How much was this schmuck paid? Have we learned nothing from the HBGary fiasco?

There is just one person that could sell this kind of sh!t but he's not among us anymore...

Diogen.

In my opinion this software is nothing but wire tapping without judicial warrant. To search me at an airport before boarding a plane is one thing, but installing spyware on my phone without my knowledge or choice for what ever purpose is wrong, wrong, wrong, period. This goes beyond anyones like or dislike for Apple or Steve Jobs.

In my opinion this software is nothing but wire tapping without judicial warrant. To search me at an airport before boarding a plane is one thing, but installing spyware on my phone without my knowledge or choice for what ever purpose is wrong, wrong, wrong, period. This goes beyond anyones like or dislike for Apple or Steve Jobs.

Agreed. 100%. It is a violation of our fundamental rights, and not only has to stop - there needs to be accountability for it.

rockymtnhigh said:
The fact that this has made National News is huge -- and I am glad that EPIC is paying attention to this -- I forgot -- DOH -- Wiretap laws. (As my son would say, you Dolt!).

I agree wholeheartedly. The more press and airtime this gets the better. I would not want to be ciq's press folks about now.

iTunes 10.5.2 vs 10.5.1

AT&T drops $39 billion bid to buy T-Mobile USA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)