ce and esata hd

skihoodoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 10, 2008
PERSHING COUNTY NV
if this is not suppose to be placed here mods please move it to the correct area
i just got a 1TB Western digital drive model#WD10000H1CS-00 THE ESATA CABLE IS MADE BY DYNEX. HR21-700 0X315 I pluged it in then pluged in the receiver and it sarted got to step 1 of 2 then receiver rebooted then started got 1of 2 and eceiver rebooted again then i got all the way in but no video gray screen so i unpluged the receiver and started again and this time i got video but i come to find out that it was working on the internal drive please help me get this up.

if this is not suppose to be placed here mods please move it to the correct area
i just got a 1TB Western digital drive model#WD10000H1CS-00 THE ESATA CABLE IS MADE BY DYNEX. HR21-700 0X315 I pluged it in then pluged in the receiver and it sarted got to step 1 of 2 then receiver rebooted then started got 1of 2 and eceiver rebooted again then i got all the way in but no video gray screen so i unpluged the receiver and started again and this time i got video but i come to find out that it was working on the internal drive please help me get this up.

Have you checked this thread? Not all external drives are compatible with all dvrs. EDIT: Hmmm, I thought I posted a link to the external hd forum. Sorry.

Last edited:
I have a 1TB WD drive attached via a Vantech drive enclosure. I had issues getting it to work using the included cable, so I went to Best Buy and got a replacement. Been working fine for a couple of months. I've been doing CE downloads for about the same time. So far - no issues. (with the drive anyway) I'm using an hr23-700, and had to enable the external drive in the diagnostics menus. I don't recall the cable makers name, maybe Belkin.

Good luck,
L.G.M.

What I have found with the esata drives is they either work or don't. If it doesn't work it is probably an enclosure that is not going to work good with the HR2x.

The CE software should not impact the esata operation.

esata cables vary by quite a bit, mostly in the length of the connectors tip. Here's a picture to illustrate the difference. I had another picture of some variety esata cables I'd gotten with enclosures that were even more wildly different, but I cant find it right now.

I think the chief problem is that directv mounted their boards esata connector behind a piece of the case metal, which recesses it a bit, and some esata cables are a little short on the tip.

Go ahead, make your own joke! ;)

The most foolproof cable I've used is the SIIG cable.

Attachments

• esata cables.JPG
    esata cables.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 135
Well i decided to buy a new drive from weaknees 1.5tb drive and because the cable that they provided was to small i used the one i got and had no issues with it I also learnd after that post is that it did not work of my series 3 tivo as well so them i tryed to partition it with my mac no luck only would format in fat32 then i called WD and they had me change an option in disk utility so now i believe this is a limitation with this drive something is locking out the formating of the drive.