CES 2014 brings 4K PC monitor prices down to as low as $699

I really hope they are mistaken about the 30 Hz.
Perhaps they were talking about HDMI, rather than DP, since it is HDMI 1.4, not 2.0.
But if it's true for the DP port too, the 30 Hz rate will be a deal-breaker for me.

I currently have a 27" Dell that does 1920 x 1200 and a 30" Dell that does 2560 x 1600. My 27" Dell is what I use for gaming since it is 1920 x 1200 but a group of vertical lines appear on the right side when I first power it up. The eventually disappear and are completely gone 30 minutes after the monitor has been powered up. I like the Asus 28" UHD monitor but the Dell would probably also work fine since I don't plan on gaming higher than 1920 x 1080, which would scale perfectly on a 3840 x 2160 display -- much better than the scaling on my 2560 x 1600 Dell. I think ALL of these monitors are TN panels. The 1ns refresh is a dead giveaway. TN might be fine for gaming at 1920 x 1080 and static displays ( desktop/productivity ) at UHD. The "fastest" video cards I have anyway are a GTX 580 in an older s775-based tower and a MSI GTX 760 ITX ( actually faster than a 580, but not by much ) in a water-cooled mini ITX 4770k build based on the Silverstone SG-05 case featuring a Corsair H80i, slim LG BD burner, a pair of WD Black 750GB 2.5" drives, 16 GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866 RAM, and Asus ROG Maximus VI with the HD Audio and wireless cards installed. I don't see the point of installing a GTX 780ti in a s775-based quad-core system unless I upgrade that to 4th generation Core i anyway. I'm more into small and quiet these days anyway and hardcore, cutting-edge gaming takes a back seat.

Are you running the 1920x1200 monitor via VGA?

I hate VGA for many reasons.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yech!! Heck no!! LOL Running the Dell 2709 using DVI simply because I have three computers connected to it via an Iogear KVMA DVI switch. All of my computers have HDMI and DisplayPort output, but I feel that using that is useless since I'm only running 2.1 through USB/TosLink to an outboard Emotiva DC-1 DAC. Pretty sure the lines aren't the KVMA or cables since it does the same thing using HDMI direct from PC to monitor. Since it goes away after a few minutes, I haven't bothered with taking the monitor apart and checking the ribbon cables that run from formatter board to panel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)