CES 2015 Question

dangue

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 29, 2007
SF Bay Area
Did anyone that attended CES see any 10 bit TVs shown off by any manufacturers? I've tried to search the Internet for such information, but haven't turned up anything concrete.

Thanks.

My understanding is that most (if not all) of the new 4K panels, both OLED and SUHD/Quantum Dot based are now 10-bit. But instead of advertising the number of bits the new buzzword at this CES was "HDR". :)

Expanding on this, did ANY set have full HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 implementation?

S~

Given that the first chipset that could do it was released a couple months ago, some of the sets should have had them for prototypes. But, the manufacturers probably would not want to point it out if they had current sets that did not have the chipsets. How would they sell off existing inventory? Once their warehouses are free of the old sets, I expect them to start trumpeting the new chipset.

Expanding on this, did ANY set have full HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 implementation?

Yes, on HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 - that was mentioned in some PR's. But the keyword here is full. How fully the HDMI is implemented - that's still not clear to me.
Even if the set supports the full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth (of 18 Gbps), that doesn't automatically mean that all features are fully supported.
For example, the HDMI 2.0 specification supports 16-bit color (4:4:4 4K@30; 4:2:0 4K@60). Would any TV set be able to display such color depth? I doubt! :)

Technically, OLED has the potential, as does OLET. I was hoping for 12 bit minimum, oh dare I say it, rec2020, as a requirement- too bad, so sad.

I was hoping for 12 bit minimum, oh dare I say it, rec2020, as a requirement- too bad, so sad.

I believe Sharp did show at least one 12-bit display! ;)
An 85” 8K LCD display prototype: native resolution of 7680x4320, BT.2020 compliant (capable of achieving 85% of the BT2020 color gamut), 120Hz native panel refresh rate, 12-bit color depth...

And all for- don't ask. At least, such is available.
If you have to ask - you can't afford it! :D

It's just a prototype, far from being a consumer product yet. However, 8K sets are not too far away. Japan is planning to have test 8K broadcasting by next year and a full 8K broadcasting service by the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

It all depends on the price. You would certainly want one if the price was reasonable. ;)

Reactions: navychop
HDCP 2.2 is the most important thing for the TV, the added capabilities of HDMI 2.0 are nice, but if the set does not support them it will just ignore them. With the HDCP 2.2 you will at least get a picture.

The receiver needs both full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 so that it can pass it through and not be the weak point.

I think it will be a couple years before we even begin to see close to REC 2020 color in TVs. Some very expensive projectors are close (100k+), but I do not count them since they are not main stream.

HDCP 2.2 is the most important thing for the TV, the added capabilities of HDMI 2.0 are nice, but if the set does not support them it will just ignore them. With the HDCP 2.2 you will at least get a picture.

The receiver needs both full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 so that it can pass it through and not be the weak point.

That's correct. For 4K TV sets HDCP 2.2 is a must. The rest is backward compatible. You just decide which features you want to have.

For A/V receivers in addition to HDCP 2.2, I would also look for full 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0 bandwidth. Otherwise the receiver can become a bottle neck very soon. Personally, I would also wait for new audio decoders supporting both DTS:X and Dolby Atmos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)