CE's for Labor Day Weekend

Yeah I didn't think the keyword would work, but I figured it was at least worth a shot.. :D

This is VERY exciting to see.. Now that the HD framework is in place, there's all sorts of goodies that can be done!

Oh, and it was definitely called back in June when the rumor came around.. The release notes on the HD GUI CE came out as simply a "High Risk" with no new features, just UTH. ;)

I imagine since the HR20/HR24-500 show customer candidate they just needed to test a tweak or minor fix before continuing their rollout.

As for youtube, give it 24 hours, I think it downloads that capability like on demand after a reboot. The old search code is no longer needed as youtube is a standard feature now.

I am downloading on my H24 now, the rest are HR24s, but at least I will get a peak. The pictures look promising, but i'm sure much work is to come. I really hope they give us some guide options for more hours and channels like Dish, or jist change it. I would like 3 hours and 8+ channels.
yeah i hope they give us those options. options are always good. i like it so far from what i see in the pics.

rey_1178 said:
yeah i hope they give us those options. options are always good. i like it so far from what i see in the pics.

Yes, that would be a great idea, make options for how you want to set it up, 3 hours, 6 or whatever.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Yeah! HD Goodness!

Can someone post a picture showing the Progress Bar in play and pause modes - I'm curious how that changed. I'm hoping it's not as chunky as the SD one.

Also, can someone show us pictures of the sub-menus: My Directv, Recordings, and Extras?

Any changes to TV Apps?

Thanks!

dfielder said:
So they spent all of this time on an "HD" GUI, and they weren't able to squeeze any more info on guide? Still 1 1/2 hours by 6 channels?
I had the same exact thought when I saw the screenshot of the guide. I'm disappointed that they didn't improve this. Hopefully there will be a toggle whereby a user can switch to a 3 hour guide view.

Yeah! HD Goodness!

Can someone post a picture showing the Progress Bar in play and pause modes - I'm curious how that changed. I'm hoping it's not as chunky as the SD one.

Also, can someone show us pictures of the sub-menus: My Directv, Recordings, and Extras?

Any changes to TV Apps?

Thanks!

The progress bar HAS been updated. It is styled exactly like the rest of the GUI. Unfortunately I'm on my way to Jersey to spend Labor Day with family, so I can't snap a pic of it.. And I couldn't tell you about the TV apps, because as of when I left this morning they still said "Unavailable at this time" (I was curious about that too). My DirecTV is still empty for me, it's the "UMIGHT LIKE" feature. It allegedly gives you suggestions based on your recordings. Some have said it kinda sucks. Recordings brings up the List, and Extras has icons for the stuff no one uses, like the Active channel, Game Lounge, etc. It's nothing special.

I had the same exact thought when I saw the screenshot of the guide. I'm disappointed that they didn't improve this. Hopefully there will be a toggle whereby a user can switch to a 3 hour guide view.

As I said before I highly doubt that they went through all the trouble of redesigning the GUI just to leave the 15+ year old guide as-is. They might be having issues with the new version, so it was left out while they work on it, in favor of getting the HD GUI out to us sooner..

JerseyMatt said:
As I said before I highly doubt that they went through all the trouble of redesigning the GUI just to leave the 15+ year old guide as-is. They might be having issues with the new version, so it was left out while they work on it, in favor of getting the HD GUI out to us sooner..
I hope you're right!

The progress bar HAS been updated. It is styled exactly like the rest of the GUI. Unfortunately I'm on my way to Jersey to spend Labor Day with family, so I can't snap a pic of it.. And I couldn't tell you about the TV apps, because as of when I left this morning they still said "Unavailable at this time" (I was curious about that too). My DirecTV is still empty for me, it's the "UMIGHT LIKE" feature. It allegedly gives you suggestions based on your recordings. Some have said it kinda sucks.
Thanks Matt!
Recordings brings up the List,
We currently get to the To Do List through "Manage Recordings", so if the new "Recordings" option brings up the playlist is there a new way to get to the To Do List?

As I said before I highly doubt that they went through all the trouble of redesigning the GUI just to leave the 15+ year old guide as-is. They might be having issues with the new version, so it was left out while they work on it, in favor of getting the HD GUI out to us sooner..[/QUOTE]

I like it so far.

Few things seem to be missing in this build...
YouTube
MediaShare
iPad app Playlist does not fire up recorded programming, but other controls appear to work

Thought someone said they had MediaShare working, but I couldn't find it anywhere. (HR24-200)

The iPad playlist control not working is a known issue and an updated iPad app is coming soon

It's a great start. This CE is creating a lot of BUZZ on the internet and that's nothing but positive for DirecTV. Who else has proof of such a slick looking HD GUI? Ok a small town in Georgia has some Comcast "Spectrum" HD Guide. Some FIOS users have IMG 1.9. But this is national and from a big name in TV. Kudo's to them and now some of the DirecTV naysayers can eat crow.

I could post pictures but I dunno what the legality or consequences of doing so would be. I mean we didn't sign NDA's. It was put out on the public airwaves - not directed to specific RID's. They've been working on it for awhile now and they waited this long to reveal it in public beta, so that delay must of been on purpose. All this does for DirecTV is create buzz and excitement for the upcoming product and renews great interest in the DirecTV brand. It's nothing but a positive move to show more pictures and videos of this, along with proper disclaimers that it is a beta. From what I heard it will be release to public in a month or two anyway.

DirecTV has just 10 fold whooped Cable's ass.

Media Share is working for me (HR22). I will upload a pic.

Attachments

• IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 423
Where is the Media Share option? I though it would be under "Extra's" but I did not see it.

Also the front panel lights will not change or go off. The controls don't work either. Only the remote will control the HR24-200. The RES light is stuck at 480p as well, but the TV resolution does properly change (720p or 1080i) depending on channel.
The power button does not turn the HR24 off (remote or front panel). It's always on now.

I hope to download and install tonight. It will suck If DTV got word of the news being out on Engadget and pulled tonights download.

Word is always going to get it out... it is a PUBLIC BETA TEST, there are no NDA's... just rules made up by one website.

I do have another issue, wonder if anyone is seeing. If I scroll the Guide on all my boxes (HR24-200, H24-700s) when I stop on a Channel and hit Select, it actually pulls the channel about 3 below, almost as if the indicator on the Guide is ahead of where the box thinks it is. I have had this happen about 5 times, and in fact, took 3 tries to get Fox Sports Midwest for the Mizzou game. Not a showstopper, but a bit annoying to have to try to get the channel I want 3 times before the right channel is displayed. My Youtube still does not work and Mediashare works just fine for me. I like it, but also noticed I am missing Program Avatars........which sucks because my 4 Year Old can read somewhat, but really relied on the pictures to find her saved shows.

Try a red button reset to clear the guide issue. I am one thats glad the program posters are gone; but to each his own.

Word is always going to get it out... it is a PUBLIC BETA TEST, there are no NDA's... just rules made up by one website.
I know there's some sensitivity here when it comes to talking about DBSTalk, but to be honest, the rules they have that CE should be limited to the CE forums make perfect sense to me. Consider what Engadget did today: they said in their article that if you are in the test group, restart and hit 0,2,4,6,8. That's it. They didn't add anything else to the article, explaining that test software is only available for download during limited windows, that test software could be unstable and cause you to lose recordings or other settings, that DIRECTV customer service doesn't officially support anything other than the national software, etc.

The thread in the main forum here indicated that one person already did 02468 and just got the national software. How many folks who read Engadget also tried it? How many of them called up DIRECTV to ask about it? How many of the Engadget readers will look for information on the download windows, find it, install the CE software just to get the GUI, and then be upset that something went wrong and call DIRECTV customer service because they don't understand what they are doing?

As you state, word will get out, but the rules meant to contain the discussion of CE to those who understand what test software is, who understand what testing is about, well ... I think that's actually a good idea. I think of it this way: I may tell my 74 year old mother that HD GUI is coming, but I'm not going to drive to her house before a CE window and install test software on her receivers, and I'm not going to tell her how to download it, knowing full well something could go wrong after I leave. I know my mother, I love my mother, but she's not someone who can handle technical problems and I think there are more DIRECTV customers like her than there are like the CE testers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)