chances of a signal?

rlarryvt

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Barre, Vt
I am searching for opinions on if i can get a signal. i live in Barre vt 05641, 26.7 miles from towers. Antennaweb says i need a large directional with a pre amp. I hooked up an indoor antenna, a cheap walmart phillips. I received sound and a crappy, unwatcheable picture. They are from the same towers as the DT signals. I talked to 2 installers who said I couldn't get a picture. One guy will come out to check, for $90. Before i spend my money, what are my chances of getting a DT signal with a large directional mounted outside?

I would try a CM 4228 ant. antenna web is not always up to date, I get good signals from stations they do not list that are 40 miles away.
If you want analog ch you will need a VHF/UHF ant.

You should be able to get a decent signal unless your line of sight is blocked by trees. The CM4228 is one of the best two UHF antennas (XG91 is the other really good one) but your ABC digital station WVNY is on channel 13 in VHF-hi (and is staying there after analog goes away in 2009) - the CM4228 has decent VHF-hi reception but may not be good enough for your reception conditions.
You probably have two choices: use a CM4228 and then add a VHF-hi antenna like the Winegard YA1713 if the CM4228 won't get ABC, or use a fringe VHF/UHF combination antenna like the HD7084p. Use a CM7777 preamp - if you need to connect a CM4228 and a YA1713 the CM7777 has separate VHF and UHF inputs so you can use it to combine the antennas.

I put your zip code in to www.TVFool.com and it returned all major networks about 30 miles away, but definitely receivable. www.antennaweb.org had similar results, except no FOX network.

You might try both using your exact address instead of just a zipcode level result, but it looks like you might have some luck.

I would attempt to buy from a source that has a return policy just in case you need to return it. Don't know if they exist, but would try to find one.

There is a dealer in Michigan that is very knowledgeable and has a good return policy. He also has a very good website.

I have talked to him several times and he is a good guy who knows his stuff.

Call and ask for Denny.

TV Antenna Source Indoor/Outdoor TV Antennas - digital-HDTV

I would try a CM 4228 ant. antenna web is not always up to date, I get good signals from stations they do not list that are 40 miles away. If you want analog ch you will need a VHF/UHF ant.

The 4228 has low gain on channel 14, WPTZ-DT. The 4228 is UHF only antenna that works in some cases on VHF, but yours in not one of them.

91XG for UHF and a Y-10-7-13 for VHF with a 7777 preamp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts