Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb_hburg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Hello!

As a change from wondering about my 811 and future Dish HD channels, I turned my attention to a dead iPod I bought on eBay and the little hard drive that showed up yesterday.

It was tough opening up the iPod. However, changing out the hard drive was straightforward. I had to format the new drive, run the updater program and then sync it with iTunes.

I had a bit of a hiccup because we also have a shuffle. Once I figured out which method to use where you have more than one iPod linked to a computer, the new drive was in business.

This is a 4G iPod with Click Wheel. I got it for under $90 on eBay. It came bundled with a nice Marware case and a Griffin iTrip FM modulator. I "froogled" for the 20GB hard drive and got it for under $90.

After having ignored my wife each time she asked what I was going to do with the iPod while it was in its damaged state, I wound up giving it to her knowing it was in working order.

So after four years, I still don't have an iPod to call my own! I do have a nice paperweight (the dead drive) that makes a nice rattle noise. Anyway, a dead iPod with a bad hard drive can be brought back to life with a new hard drive.

I had to replace the battery on my 2nd gen iPod and found that guitar picks work nicely to pry open the case.

I didn't think that you could upgrade the drive on the iPod. Mine has a 10GB drive in it and I've got to ration what goes on the drive. 20 or 30 GB would work...

Foxbat said:
I had to replace the battery on my 2nd gen iPod and found that guitar picks work nicely to pry open the case.
I didn't think that you could upgrade the drive on the iPod. Mine has a 10GB drive in it and I've got to ration what goes on the drive. 20 or 30 GB would work...

If you have a first or second generation iPod, you need to get Apple branded Toshiba drives from what I have read. It has special firmware on the drive so that your FireWire port does not get disabled. I am not sure about a third gen. iPod.

To use a non-Apple branded Toshiba drive, I have read that the trick is to clone a drive using a drive known to have the firmware.

I kept with the same size drive. I could have gotten a 40GB drive but then I would have needed a deeper back cover. But these are available on eBay or an iPod parts store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)