Channel Master and Echostar working on new OTA DVR

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
New Channel Master DVR records OTA, streams Vudu but not Netflix

Channel Master has announced a new over-the-air DVR this morning, the Channel Master TV, combining TV recording functionality with the ability to stream Vudu. Unlike TiVo, the Channel Master TV does not require a monthly subscription, instead relying on free electronic program guide information already contained in over-the-air TV signals.

I wish them every success. If my DtvPal DVR dies, this is what I'd likely buy.

Found it interesting that they cited TIVO Series5 as a competitor, as TIVO removed the OTA tuners from their latest boxes (Premiere is Series 4) and show no signs of adding them back in the future.

Found it interesting that they cited TIVO Series5 as a competitor, as TIVO removed the OTA tuners from their latest boxes (Premiere is Series 4) and show no signs of adding them back in the future.
You haven't been reading anything on the Tivo forums then. Everyone there seems to think that there will be a new model with 4 ota tuners along with a new 6-tuner cable card only model.

As for this new Channel Master/Echostar unit. Only 320gb? What year is this again, 2006? But what can you expect from a company that only put 3-tuners in it's state of the art hardware (The Hopper).

I'm glad to see a new OTA box come out. I hope the release version supports PSIP with MAYBE a paid EPG as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you read the article it states not pictured so how can it look like a router?

I overlooked that detail of the article but noticed that the device in the picture looked the same size a router. That could give us an idea of the size of the new one.

To be clear: TiVo never stopped offering OTA. It is offered in the standard Premiere model. However, in the step-up Premieres, those boxes with 4 tuners have CATV ONLY.

Further, the just released new Roamio line follows the same hierarchy of models: the Roamio (sometimes referred to as the "base" Ramio) is marketed as an "Entry Level" box with 4 tuners and support for OTA or Cable, one or the other, not tuning both at the same time. That's FOUR tuners dedicated to OTA recordings all at the same time. The step-up Roamio Plus and Roamio Pro are CATV ONLY, but have SIX tuners.

Finally, it has now been confirmed for all 3 Roamio models that all one need do is simply, and EASILY swap internal HDD's to increase storage internally. No special program or processes as in past series. Just unscrew, disconnect the original HDD, and then then slide and connect screw in the new blank HDD, and then the TiVo box does the rest, automatically: boom! Done! Even a non-techy, monkey can do it :) up to 3TB internal storage. So, a Roamio for OTA with 4 tuners and up to 3TB storage, even with TiVo's expensive monthly and Lifetime service pricing models, is still highly compelling. Now, let's hope the new Echostar/Channel Master incorporates the ViP tech so it can be somewhat competitive, but I hope it will have more than 2 tuners.

I also heard the tuner for OTA in the Roamio is WAY better than the Premiere (which absolutely sucked)

I am thinking of getting one for OTA....4 tuners would be awesome!

I am not sure what is in the picture but it is not this product.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts