Charlie Chat Recap 3-09-09

So does anyone have any idea how to watch mlbtv or mlb network through your vip 622 or 722 recievers??? Charlie said it cost and you could access it through your vip reciever. I am pretty sure he has no idea what he is talking about(especially when he said it was like al-a-carte-LOL.. But if there is a way to do this through the reciever and some genious out there who can walk me through it PLEASE post how. I love everything baseball and the lack of mlb network is the only reason I would leave for D*......THANKS!!!:D :up

Maybe what he really meant was that you would be able to watch this on the 922. (He has probably done this on his beta 922. It has a "web browser" built-in, IIRC.

Brad

Last edited:
Why does a contract have to expire before a new one can be struck? Why would the Fox News and Fox Business contracts have a different expiration date than the others. How come all the contracts for Viacom apparently were negotiated at the same time and not Fox? Just questions. If the new HD isn't added to the Turbo packs, it'll get hot around here. :)

It is all part of the negotiation tactics different companies use. It appears that if Dish saves money they will let a contract end before allowing it to be renegotiated to allow a new channel to be added. Dish probably has a great rate on Speed and FX right now, and would have to come up to current rates if they want to add the HD version. So, Dish would rather not add the HD versions that only 10-15% of their customers receive rather than raising the rate on all the SD customers. And yes this is about Dish profits not saving the customer money I am well aware of the arguments that Dish prices are not cheaper than others.

You made me proud - too bad they didn't answer your question directly - but at least you asked it. I was beginning to think that CC was staged totally. Excellent job. :hungry:

They prefer to take the phone calls of newbies,... they tend to be less biting (and informed). When I first signed up in May 2000, they called and put me on live the first time I called.... and never since. My question the first time was about their new internet service they were about to offer, so it was a softball.

It is all part of the negotiation tactics different companies use. It appears that if Dish saves money they will let a contract end before allowing it to be renegotiated to allow a new channel to be added. Dish probably has a great rate on Speed and FX right now, and would have to come up to current rates if they want to add the HD version. So, Dish would rather not add the HD versions that only 10-15% of their customers receive rather than raising the rate on all the SD customers. And yes this is about Dish profits not saving the customer money I am well aware of the arguments that Dish prices are not cheaper than others.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get that 10-15% figure from? The US as a whole shows a 25% HD penetration rate (this encompasses people with an HDTV and an HDTV source). Is Dish Network that far below the US rate, because that would be troubling. It shows poor performance on their part.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get that 10-15% figure from? The US as a whole shows a 25% HD penetration rate (this encompasses people with an HDTV and an HDTV source). Is Dish Network that far below the US rate, because that would be troubling. It shows poor performance on their part.

Where do you get your information? Last survey I saw, something like 61% of HDTV owners didn't have an HD source.

Even if we say 25% of customers are HD, that means there are 3 SD customers to every one HD customer. Still a big majority.

MY inlaws have a LCD HD tv and cannot tell the difference between their Cox Cable HD locals and the SD locals. LCD tvs are pretty clear pictures, but I can tell a lot of difference between HD and SD tv even on their tv.

Where do you get your information? Last survey I saw, something like 61% of HDTV owners didn't have an HD source.

Even if we say 25% of customers are HD, that means there are 3 SD customers to every one HD customer. Still a big majority.
I got that number from Nielsen. This is what the article says in regards to that number:
Nielsen’s estimates are based on a field staff review that identified TV sets capable of receiving and displaying high definition pictures, as well as those that are actually receiving those signals.
It is a little ambiguous. The first time I read it, I interpreted it the way I said it, but I can't be sure. However, the Leichtman Research Group said about 35% of households have an HDTV. Of those, about 60% have an HD source hooked up to it. That results in about 21%, which is pretty close to the Nielsen number I quoted.

Now, if it is 20-25%, that is very significant. This is not some tiny minority (like people who watch that Fishing channel :)). Additionally, the momentum is an increase in HD subscribers, and not the other way around. In July of 2007, that Nielsen number was only 10%.

A Nielsen article, dated Dec 11, 2008 says 23.3% of households own at least 1 HDTV set.

Another article, in betanews, dated April 24, 2008 tells of studies by ABI and Magid that show among HDTV ownwers, only 56% or 70% (respectively) have access to HD programming.

Let's take the middle ground and assume 63% of HDTV owners have HD programming.

63% of 25% = 16%.

Meaning the actual percent of US households that watch HD programs is only 16%.

A Nielsen article, dated Dec 11, 2008 says 23.3% of households own at least 1 HDTV set.

Another article, in betanews, dated April 24, 2008 tells of studies by ABI and Magid that show among HDTV ownwers, only 56% or 70% (respectively) have access to HD programming.

Let's take the middle ground and assume 63% of HDTV owners have HD programming.

63% of 25% = 16%.

Meaning the actual percent of US households that watch HD programs is only 16%.
First of all, are you sure that Nielsen number doesn't already account for the access to HD programming? The nielsen article I cited above suggested that it did. Additionally, I also showed another source that came up with a 21% figure (including HDTV and HD access).

Realistically, these numbers may be way off. They are based on a sample of 1-2 thousand participants, that are supposed to be representative. And who knows what their confidence interval was...

last night i saw a graphic containing a logo for G4hd, but just as it came up my wife changed the channel. what was it in reference to? I don't see the graphic in the chat wrap up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)