Charter Phone Outage?

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
I have been using Charter internet at home for over 10 years now partially because they are the only ISP offered in my rural area and partially because it has always been fast and reliable. We chose AT&T phone and DSL at our office because it is available in town and their business rates were better when we opened 8 years ago.

Recently charter has been sending us some pretty attractive offers for 30Mb internet vs. AT&T's 6Mb and a decent price for our 4 phone lines when we bundle. The 6Mb was usable but sometimes noticeably slow even for basic web browsing when 9 or 10 of us were working on the internet at once. Two weeks ago we decided to take one of their offers and port our numbers over. The internet is much better and we noticed no difference with our phone system so everyone was happy.

Today we aren't so happy. Only two weeks in and the phone system is already down. We rely heavily on phones for our business. It is 12:30 now and they have been down since we opened at 8:00. Not only are the phones down but you can't even reach our voicemail when you call in. All you get is a busy signal. We now have 8 employees working today who have to use their personal cell phones to get a hold of clients. This means that clients now know our personal cell phone numbers and many simply aren't answering because they don't recognize the caller ID. Also, anyone who tries to contact us simply can't get through.

I waited on hold for quite a while to talk to someone at charter. The told me the fiber was cut and their phone service is down for all of Michigan with no estimated time frame for recovery. Thankfully our internet is still up.

Does anyone here have any experience with Charter phone? How common are phone outages like this? I know that the internet in the area is very reliable but apparently the phone service uses separate lines. If this is a freak accident, one time thing we can deal with it for the better pricing. However, if this happens a few times a year we need to get our phones back over to AT&T ASAP.

stilllearning

SatelliteGuys Guru
Dec 12, 2006
Michigan
We are in the Lansing area and have Charter for phone service. I just called my wife and she said as far as she knows the phones have been up all day. It certainly was working when I called her.

stilllearning

SatelliteGuys Guru
Dec 12, 2006
Michigan
We are in the Lansing area and have Charter for phone service. I just called my wife and she said as far as she knows the phones have been up all day. It certainly was working when I called her.

Oh, and to answer your other question. We have had Charter phone service for about a year now. During that time we have only gone down twice, both times for less than 2 hours. When the phone went down the internet was down as well. Overall we have been very happy with it. Much more reliable than Frontier was.

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
So basically the CSR lied to me. Ours has been out all day. I tried unplugging the phone box to reset it with no luck. It is still out for us in Fenton but the CSR claimed it was a known issue and down for the entire state.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
It came back up for us around 2:00 in the afternoon. It wasn't ideal for our business but at least it's over. I just won't be very happy if it happens again. In the 8 years we used AT&T we had plenty of problems with the internet but I don't think our phones ever went down once.

stilllearning

SatelliteGuys Guru
Dec 12, 2006
Michigan
Make sure you call em up and complain about how the outage affected your business and you lost money because of it. Maybe they'll give you a credit for your inconvienence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)