I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
:) This article sounds promising :) From HDTV Magazine:

32-inch LCD-TV panel prices may fall to US$500 next year
Calvin Shao, Taipei; Carrie Yu, DigiTimes.com [Thursday 28 October 2004]

Prices of 32-inch LCD-TV panels (especially for the US market) will fall to around US$500 in 2005, if production costs can be lowered by new backlighting technologies, according to AU Optronics (AUO) executive vice president Hsiung Hui.

Since the LCD-TV market is still in its early stages, makers have mainly concentrated on technology to improve display quality, Hsiung indicated. However, now that display quality has significantly improved, makers will focus on improving technology in ways that will reduce pricing, Hsiung explained. For example, if industry players are able to improve backlighting technologies, the prices of 32-inch LCD-TV panels stand a good chance of dropping to US$500 next year, he added. MORE

I have been watching them pretty closely since I want to replace my bedroom TV with one. They have dropped quite a bit this year, 20" ones are at $500 now, 27" around $1000 and 30" around $1300-$1500.

Tube sets' days are numbered!

I currently use an old 13" Commodore monitor in my HT to watch shows & burn DVD's when I don't want to fire up the pj so I've been looking for around a 23" widescreen LCD to replace it but they are still up above $1,000. I may bite when they get below $500.

What I'd really like is to have about a 60" LCD or Plasma that I can pull my screen down over when I want to watch something big and use the other device for casual viewing. That's the downside of having a pj, it's not a TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)