CheckHD website coming Oct 4...replace the often incorrect antennaweb.org?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
The new CheckHD website being sponsored by the CEA and NAB is going live on 4 October. After numerous complaints the CEA received regarding inaccuracies with their digital prediction algorithm (mine included), they appear to have created a new site using new digital search criteria.

AntennaWeb.org

1. Antenna web indicates that I would should receive only one (1) digital stations, WNVT-DT, Goldvein VA.

CheckHD.com

2. The new CEA/NAB site, http://www.checkhd.com/, predicts that I should receive:

8-1, 8-2, WRIC-DT, 22, Richmond VA
25-1, WTVR-DT, 25, Richmond VA
30-1, 30-2, 30-3, 30-4, WNVT-DT, 30, Goldvein VA
41-1, WHJT-DT, 46 (Charlottesville) coming soon...

It's an improvement, but I fall inside the Washington DC DMA due to my mailing address and receive DTV from DC, Baltimore, Richmond and Charlottesville.

Anyway, if this is the replacement for Antennaweb.org, it sure needs a lot of work for people living in my area. Take a look and tell us what you think.

This one finally shows my CBS station as available, the other one did not. However both show my FOX as available on UHF 29. I cannot receive this one. I called my FOX station and they said they are going to be VHF 9 and are broadcasting a digital signal but no HD yet. I cannot recieve it however with a 6', 10' yagi or a DB8 8 bay UHF. Their analog signal is on 28.

This website appears to be TitanTV.com's attempt to milk the HD hopefulls. Unfortunatelatley the only way to know for sure if you are going to receive OTA HD is to put an antenna up and experiment. No one had antennaweb.whatever in the 70's and 80's when they were trying to pick up more than the rabbit ears would get.
P.S. or disclaimer, whatever, I'm away from home on business and intoxicated. Let the good times roll!!!

Was inaccurate for me too. It lists a couple channels I am currently receiving as not available. and it also says I should be able to receive channels that I cannot.

{rant} I kind of lost confidence with DecisionMark when they partnered with DirecTV because the info for analog was plain trash. Things like I should receive grade A signals when the station is behind a hill from my location ...

On a positive note it will be nice to have another "check" to add to our checks and balances. I do agree with the guy who said the only way to know is to pop up an antenna and see for yourself.

I compared the two for my zip. Both are not accurate, but at least antennaweb has additional details, like distance to the tower, azimuth, antenna recommendations, etc. We'll see what happens after 10/4.

I had a few channels pop up that I thought were either surprising or inaccurate.

It lists me as being able to receive (among others) WTWC-DT out of Tallahassee, FL which is broadcasting on digital channel #2 and I have no CLUE if I can pick it up, but I thought it was interesting.

They also list me as being able to pick WTLH-DT when it goes digital in December which if they go fairly high power, I might stand a chance as their analog signal is one of the strongest ones around here, but on AVSForums, WTLH-DT is going to be very low power when they start up.

They also list my PBS as "coming soon" when they aren't going digital til 2007! ;)

~Alan

The fact that it doesn't seem to take into account elevation and surrounding terrain features isn't good... it also doesn't give you headings???

The site is now live. It provides some basic DTV/HD information, a highly suspect OTA locater and links to cable/satellite HDTV (minus VOOM, of course) and other vendor links. All-in-all, a pretty weak effort by CEA and TitanTV IMO.

riffjim4069 said:
...The new CEA/NAB site, http://www.checkhd.com/, ... Take a look and tell us what you think.
Hey riffjim4069 I just checked the site, and for me it is even more restrictive than antennaweb!

I assumed all along that we cannot get OTA here. But I think I will hook up an antenna anyway just to try it.

Thanks for posting the heads-up. Maybe this site will work better for somebody else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)