Ciel 2 Tracking

Briz M gone after first nine hours. Check flight profile here.
It's Ciel-2 burns.

Thanks, most interesting. I was really speculating as to whether the 5 burn sequence was actually more precise than the previous 3 burn sequence which had been used, and which reportedly contributed to the loss of AMC 14.

My train of thought on this was that if it was known in advance the 5 burn process would be more precise and thus less time consuming, this could have factored into Charlie Ergen's comment (in the last Chat) that Ciel 2 could conceivably be active by the end of the month. I'm just trying to figure out how that could possibly be. I don't really think Charlie would have made the comment he did if there was not logically at least an outside chance of that happening, especially since the recent time from launch to activation of E-11 must have been fresh in his mind.

Best regards,
Fitzie

Thanks, most interesting. I was really speculating as to whether the 5 burn sequence was actually more precise than the previous 3 burn sequence which had been used, and which reportedly contributed to the loss of AMC 14.

The burn duration was too long with AMC14 and it burned through the engine! The five burn sequence was to reduce the burn length to fix that problem. The 3 burn sequence may be a tiny bit less precise but was probably selected to reduce mission complexity for less chance of things to go wrong.

Fitzie,

Another possibility is that if Ciel-2 successfully passes all tests at 138W, then Dish could feel confident about making channel additions on December 31st, and just move the channels over to Ciel-2 a week or two later...

Fitzie,

Another possibility is that if Ciel-2 successfully passes all tests at 138W, then Dish could feel confident about making channel additions on December 31st, and just move the channels over to Ciel-2 a week or two later...

This is true, because Echostar is planning to move E5 on January 15, 2009. How can you move a satellite without having a replacement in it's place. E11 was tested very quickly and put into service in less than a month. Ciel 2 went through numerous tests by the engineers and at the launch site. Apparently, everything passed with an A++++++. Let's just hope this is the case.

This is true, because Echostar is planning to move E5 on January 15, 2009. How can you move a satellite without having a replacement in it's place. E11 was tested very quickly and put into service in less than a month. Ciel 2 went through numerous tests by the engineers and at the launch site. Apparently, everything passed with an A++++++. Let's just hope this is the case.
January 15 might be a "best case" scenario. The FCC will probably grant the request, and give them a 30 day window beginning 1/15 to get E5 to 148.

kstuart's idea that perhaps the new channels will be put up on Dec. 31 using existing capacity based on successful completion of tests on Ciel 2 makes sense and is probably what Dish would do. Regarding mdonnelly's comment that Jan. 15 is a best-case scenario for moving E-5, that's almost certainly correct.

The up-link thread on Dec. 31, a Wednesday, could be really interesting! (I noticed the Dish advert. "You've got TurboHD" still says "up to 150 national channels by the end of the year.")

Regards,
Fitzie

Getting close now (138.27 according to n2yo.com). One short burn at apogee to circularize, and let's start testing! Does that sound right (assuming, of course, that the data from n2yo is close to correct)?

LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE TRACKING: CIEL-2

Brad

I think the data on n2yo is delayed so I think Ciel2 might already be at 138W. In any event, I think they should be ready to test it next week.

138.2 is probably close enough. For instance, DirecTV 11 is at 99.2 (not precisely 99)

No reason they can't start testing tomorrow. Heck, do it over the weekend.

Any of the people with the capability monitoring 138 for activity?

I don't recall anyone seeing any video testing of E11 at 138w. Saw a report of one user with a SA saying the transponders where cycling through with an unlockable signal.

The N2YO site does not show Ciel 2 stopping for very long at 138... current data shows it at 137.1. The data is either incorrect or Charlie is in a real big hurry to get this thing operational.

Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:38:42 UTCLatitude: 0.03°
Longitude: -137.1°
Right Ascension: 11h 1m 40s
Declination: -6° 45' 43''
Azimuth: 242.42°
Elevation: +21.71°
Altitude [km]: 35671.28
Altitude [miles]: 22116.19
Speed [km/s]: 0.01
Speed [miles/s]: 0.01
Eclipsed? NO

The N2YO site does not show Ciel 2 stopping for very long at 138... current data shows it at 137.1. The data is either incorrect or Charlie is in a real big hurry to get this thing operational.

Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:38:42 UTCLatitude: 0.03°
Longitude: -137.1°
Right Ascension: 11h 1m 40s
Declination: -6° 45' 43''
Azimuth: 242.42°
Elevation: +21.71°
Altitude [km]: 35671.28
Altitude [miles]: 22116.19
Speed [km/s]: 0.01
Speed [miles/s]: 0.01
Eclipsed? NO

These posts are almost as good as the "OMG!! It's going to crash into the ocean!" posts ;)

N2YO does a calculated real time movement based on the previous TLE's. So until a new TLE is posted N2YO's page will continue to show the bird as moving. A new TLE will come out and you'll see the bird stationary at 138.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts