Ciel 2 Tracking

I am going to miss the LA locals when they go to spot beam. Wish they was another west coast set of networks to "move" and receive!

I think there is - San Francisco, CA locals are offered as distant networks, which means a conus beam instead of a spot - "move" from Los Angeles to San Francisco.:D

Edit: changed San Deigo to San Francisco

Last edited:
DiSH Network does not offer any "distant networks". San Diego is just as likely to go to spot beam as Los Angeles.

Perhaps you should investigate a bit more - tune to channel 240 and you'll see the big five offered.

And that's before you count the superstations (CW,MyNet) on channels 232-238 (KTLA,WPIX,etc).

I highly doubt there will ever be any distant networks available in high def anytime soon.:(

I was thinking San Deigo because of ch 255 - my bad.

Perhaps you should investigate a bit more - tune to channel 240 and you'll see the big five offered.

And that's before you count the superstations (CW,MyNet) on channels 232-238 (KTLA,WPIX,etc).

I highly doubt there will ever be any distant networks available in high def anytime soon.:(

Yeah, I should investigate more, since I am the "original distant network subscriber" At one time I had distant networks from 13 different cities. :D
I do currently have all 5 Superstations.

The service mentioned on channel 240 is not DiSH Network. It is All American Direct.

You can still lock a signal even if it is encryption. Just like when they tested E11 at 138 they weren't using a DVB-S signal for testing purposes.
Remember what I said:
Nice work, photoman76!
So it is DBS and circular polarization, and not reverse DBS nor FSS. Must be you can't get a digital lock either because of modulation or a new form of encryption.
(viz. phase skew, packet sync changes, et al)

Yeah, I should investigate more, since I am the "original distant network subscriber" At one time I had distant networks from 13 different cities. :D
I do currently have all 5 Superstations.

The service mentioned on channel 240 is not DiSH Network. It is All American Direct.

And if you play CSR roulette you can have locals from 4 cities like me!! And thats not going thru AAD for them crappy distants they offer.

And if you play CSR roulette you can have locals from 4 cities like me!! And thats not going thru AAD for them crappy distants they offer.

Or we could let charlie answer.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9KhZ5cXyXs]YouTube - chat[/ame]

Speaking of Charlie, he said recently in the Retailer Chat that first the existing channels would be moved to Ciel-2, and then they would deal with spotbeams and HD Locals in February.

I wonder what will happen on Jan 1, 2011 when Fox goes all HD and only HD? What will AAD do? Also, I wouldn't bet against the other networks following Fox and going all HD in that same time frame but we shall have to wait and see.

I wonder what will happen on Jan 1, 2011 when Fox goes all HD and only HD? What will AAD do? Also, I wouldn't bet against the other networks following Fox and going all HD in that same time frame but we shall have to wait and see.

Uh, two years from now there may not be a Fox Network, and even more likelihood that there won't be an All American Direct.

What will happen one month from now is hard enough to predict !

Not to change the topic, but where is Ciel II now? How is the "parking " proceeding?

None of us live 22,000 miles in orbit, so we have no way of knowing. ;)

There were signals from the 138 West testing location a few days ago, and the usual satellite location web sites seem to be having a lot of holiday breaks - and their information is always a few days out of date anyway.

Dish Network told the FCC that Ciel-2 would be online at 129 on January 3rd, but after that statement, there was a one week delay in the launch, so it is reasonable to check back 10 days from now...

There was testing on more transponders yesterday. I didn't see anything this morning and won't be able to check again until Sunday (not at home). Testing is visible if you have a spectrum analyzer and are looking when testing is going on.

Just because the originating signal is HD, does not mean that it cannot be downrezzed to SD if necessary. Some of the big 4 networks have affiliates that do Sd digital only - no HD, even though the network feed is HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)