Ciel 2 Tracking

This weeks uplink report should be very interesting, that is assuming they start upllinking Ciel 2 on Wednesday

I didn't think it was the same. I thought that since the amount of thrust could be measured so exactly there really would be no error.

Part of the reason I slow down at a stop light is because I'm burning fuel the whole time I rush up to it. Slamming on the breaks is wasting gas. Even if I didn't care about that, I really can't be 100% sure how much pressure I'm giving to the breaks, how well the tires and road will grip, etc.. I don't know much pressure will be needed to stop the motion.

In space, all of that is removed. 200 lbs of thrust to the east should be exactly canceled by 200 lbs of thrust to the west, right? Just trying to understand better.

The motion is to increase or decrease altitude, not move east or west. Moving east or west relative to a fixed point on earth is a result of increasing or decreasing altitude above the earth. There are any number of things that can go wrong in positioning a satellite. A 5 second burn with a misaligned thruster is going to be harder to correct than a 1 second burn. Small steps, not big steps is a more prudent course of action. SES already has one "killer" sat on the loose after either a ground control mistake or onboard computer failure.

This weeks uplink report should be very interesting, that is assuming they start upllinking Ciel 2 on Wednesday

I said it before but will say it again.

When CIEL II gets to 129 it will sit there for a few days as they finish the testing of the satellite. This is testing that they were unable to do at the testing location.

After that Dish will start the load transfer off the old satellite onto the new.

From there Dish will start lighting up new HD cities.

Again don't expect them to hit the parking break on the bird and light it up the same day.

I said it before but will say it again.

When CIEL II gets to 129 it will sit there for a few days as they finish the testing of the satellite. This is testing that they were unable to do at the testing location.

After that Dish will start the load transfer off the old satellite onto the new.

From there Dish will start lighting up new HD cities.

Again don't expect them to hit the parking break on the bird and light it up the same day.

Two questions, Scott:

You expect that they will do more LIL HD before they think about adding new national HD?

How long before we get programming from Ciel 2? Days? Weeks?

The motion is to increase or decrease altitude, not move east or west.

:eureka

You found the issue in my logic, thank you. I can see where there is more of a chance of error in this type of move. I also forgot that the bird is moving this whole time, and pushing it "east" or "west" like I was explaining would only cause it to move out of orbit!

Two questions, Scott:

You expect that they will do more LIL HD before they think about adding new national HD?

How long before we get programming from Ciel 2? Days? Weeks?
First new national HD will be put on 110. (Thats what I was told at CES)

It could be about a week or more before CEIL II is transmitting programming depending on testing and tweaking that the bird might need.

I didn't think it was the same. I thought that since the amount of thrust could be measured so exactly there really would be no error.

Part of the reason I slow down at a stop light is because I'm burning fuel the whole time I rush up to it. Slamming on the breaks is wasting gas. Even if I didn't care about that, I really can't be 100% sure how much pressure I'm giving to the breaks, how well the tires and road will grip, etc.. I don't know much pressure will be needed to stop the motion.

In space, all of that is removed. 200 lbs of thrust to the east should be exactly canceled by 200 lbs of thrust to the west, right? Just trying to understand better.

Yes.. but if the thrusters have a slight error in them or if something goes wrong...say they burn for 1 sec too long or too short.. then by only doing one burn.. they only get one chance to get it right....

by doing multiple burns... they can have more control over the change.

A Week or more? GESH Scott. Take away all my immediate hope. I was dreaming of a SUPER, Super Bowl Sunday.

Why don't u jsut go ahead and tell me that theres no Santa as well while your at it. :(

A Week or more? GESH Scott. Take away all my immediate hope. I was dreaming of a SUPER, Super Bowl Sunday.

Why don't u jsut go ahead and tell me that theres no Santa as well while your at it. :(

Scott told you that the new National HD is at 110.

In order to add those channels, Dish needs:

- Signed Contract (in the case of Viacom, that was announced a few days ago)

- Secure knowledge that they won't otherwise need the space at 110, which means knowledge that Ciel-2 is operational at 129. This could simply be that it arrives, and that some test uplinks are received from a couple of transponders.

So, that could happen in hours from now.

Dish also undoubtedly wants to coordinate the addition of new National HD, with their scheduled price increases in February.

First new national HD will be put on 110. (Thats what I was told at CES)

It could be about a week or more before CEIL II is transmitting programming depending on testing and tweaking that the bird might need.

And what is the eastern arc equivalent of 110 sat Scott? Or is the eastern arc being left out on the new hd? Good thing I have an eastern arc + side sat for 110 . Should be covered either way.

"Scott told you that the new National HD is at 110.

- Secure knowledge that they won't otherwise need the space at 110, which means knowledge that Ciel-2 is operational at 129. This could simply be that it arrives, and that some test uplinks are received from a couple of transponders.

Dish also undoubtedly wants to coordinate the addition of new National HD, with their scheduled price increases in February."

So, are u saying there IS a Santa Claus? I'm so confused! :)

Scott told you that the new National HD is at 110.

Dish also undoubtedly wants to coordinate the addition of new National HD, with their scheduled price increases in February.

February 1st is only 5 days away. They better get a move on if they want to beat the deadline for the price increase.

And what is the eastern arc equivalent of 110 sat Scott? Or is the eastern arc being left out on the new hd? Good thing I have an eastern arc + side sat for 110 . Should be covered either way.
72.7 77 and 61.5 and the same TMP channels are testing there that are on 110. ;)

Unless they get a lot of successful testing done today, I'm guessing they won't meet the 2/1 deadline for the price increase...

If they can't make the deadline, it'd be better that they move it back a week or two and add new HD and get Ceil 2 online first, then implement the rate increase...

There is always some degree of error. In orbit one tends to take things conservatively -- as it isn't often that second chances are granted.

They aren't thrusting east and west, they are modifying the orbit to allow the earth's own rotation to do most of the heavy lifting. In reference to the geosynch position you move the satellite closer to earth to move east which gives you a period less than 1 day. When you move away from earth vs. the geosynch point you move west as your orbital period exceeds one day.

It takes less energy to move towards earth as you get the benefit of the gravitational pull and more energy to move away from earth as you work against the gravititional pull.