C'mon E*. Please give us New York DMA folks SNY back.....

I just thought of this can't believe it hasn't been mentioned before, seems like a great compromise. Those that want YES or other NY RSN's find another provider, and all the rest of us who don't want them, don't want a surcharge added to our monthly bill like Directv does, won't switch. Sound like a good idea?

They will be added when or if they are in line with costs of other RSN's, although maybe not even then at this point.
Sounds good.
In 2017 I'll make the switch.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Tampa8
I just thought of this can't believe it hasn't been mentioned before, seems like a great compromise. Those that want YES or other NY RSN's find another provider, and all the rest of us who don't want them, don't want a surcharge added to our monthly bill like Directv does, won't switch. Sound like a good idea?

They will be added when or if they are in line with costs of other RSN's, although maybe not even then at this point.
I've made this point many times, yet people still argue that Dish is big meany pants for going this route...

What gets me is that the multi sports pack is no cheaper for those in the NY area and even though they haven't added the channels, the bill keeps going up. I wish they could just offer it as an al cartel channel and sell it for like $7.00 a month. Everybody makes money and those that want the channel, pay for the channel.

E*, I realize you are from Denver, but your complete disregard for New York areas baseball fans is the one thorn that keeps me from recommending your service to friends and family. I'm not a Yankee fan so I don't care about YES as much, but I REALLY miss being able to watch my Mets now,.... especially since they are now good again (they've won 11 of 13 games)... I wouldn't mind as much if MLB.TV didn't have the stupid local blackout rule and I could stream it over my xbox one... Any other New York area fans want SNY back?

Make that 12 of 14. If Dish added SNY I might be tempted to "move" a mile to my west.:)

What gets me is that the multi sports pack is no cheaper for those in the NY area and even though they haven't added the channels, the bill keeps going up. I wish they could just offer it as an al cartel channel and sell it for like $7.00 a month. Everybody makes money and those that want the channel, pay for the channel.
So, they get the same channels as everyone else across the country when they Sub to the MSP?? Your statement makes no sense.

I don't understand your comments, or I do and they aren't valid. You get as many more RSN's and other channels in the multi sport pack as anyone else. That has no bearing on what you get in your package.
A La Carte? Write a letter to YES, MSG, and SNY and ask them why they won't do that. DISH offered that, even offered to make no money beyond the cost to carry them if they went A La Carte, they even were invited to charge whatever they wanted.

I don't understand your comments, or I do and they aren't valid. You get as many more RSN's and other channels in the multi sport pack as anyone else. That has no bearing on what you get in your package.
A La Carte? Write a letter to YES, MSG, and SNY and ask them why they won't do that. DISH offered that, even offered to make no money beyond the cost to carry them if they went A La Carte, they even were invited to charge whatever they wanted.
Maybe it's thinks that nyc metro dish customers are paying a premium as in extra profit without an RSN..same with philly..it's wrong but nuthin anyone can do about it

Maybe it's thinks that nyc metro dish customers are paying a premium as in extra profit without an RSN..same with philly..it's wrong but nuthin anyone can do about it

That point I understand why someone would think that. Here are my reasons why DISH does not charge less for NY residents with no RSN's.
1. That's the whole point about how DISH handles this. If they charge less for those in NY then it becomes they are charging more for those with RSN's, a surcharge exactly what they apparently do not want to do, something that Directv had to resort to.

2. If they do that in NY, do they have to start charging different prices because one area has two RSN's, three RSN's, and the other only one?

3. There is no one under contract who lost any RSN in NY. I believe this whole discussion is basically nonsense, there is no clamer to get the NY RSN's by people in NY. People have other choices. DISH determined long ago (Charlie said this) that there are not enough people in NY that subscribe to DISH and demand the RSN's to warrant making everyone pay more or to pay the highest prices for RSN's. There may be some who do not live in NY who wish DISH had the NY RSN so they could watch them minus the actual games with the Sports Pack, or even fewer yet who want them for MLBEI.

4. If any of the RSN's in NY were in line with what most others are charging I am guessing DISH would carry them. Conversely, since none of the RSN's seem to be concerned enough to be on DISH, they must not feel they are losing that many eyes, supporting what DISH has said. Look at Viacom, locals, or any other number of contract talks that ended up being on DISH. At least some (definitely not all) of those were much more them feeling they needed to be on DISH more than DISH needed them. Either way one side or the other felt the need for the service, I don't see that with the NY RSN's.

5. If someone wants their RSN badly enough they will switch. Otherwise if they feel they are paying for something they are not getting but actually don't care about actually getting the RSN that much, something I much more suspect, they should contact DIRT/DISH and see if they can get some reductions at least for awhile.

Give the NYers back their RSNs right after they finally give us Philly subs our CSN Philly. We get no local RSN channels with the sports pkg and to add insult to injury we're also excepted from getting BTN unless we get it thru the sports pkg so we're paying whatever it is a month to get a channel we should be getting with a basic package. Unless you call them every 6 months and threaten to cancel service, that is. :)

Just so we are all on the same page, Dish dropped NY sports long before Directv started charging RSN fees.
Also Directvs RSN charges are based on location.
And for $6 you get MSG, MSG+,SNY, YES all in HD in the NY market.
There are also more opt out packages now.
So it's not like everyone is forced to pay for RSNs.

Look at the 120 pack vs the 120+ pack.
What significant difference justify that cost?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Also Directvs RSN charges are based on location.
And for $6 you get MSG, MSG+,SNY, YES all in HD on the NY market.
There are also more opt out packages now.
So it's not like everyone is forced to pay for RSN

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

$6 for. 4 RSNs doesn't sound too outrageous if you are a fan of the teams and you watch. But even at that how many of their customers have to pay that don't watch? And don't just look at that $6 figure either. D* is probably paying upwards of $15 a month to carry the 4.

Reactions: Troch77
$6 for. 4 RSNs doesn't sound too outrageous if you are a fan of the teams and you watch. But even at that how many of their customers have to pay that don't watch? And don't just look at that $6 figure either. D* is probably paying upwards of $15 a month to carry the 4.
Then you either suck it up and pay for it Like I do with Big 10, Longhorn,and Pac12 and all the other channels I don't want, or you take an opt out package.
I believe Directv has a couple of those now.

So there are cost saving solutions out there.
Charles is just a West coast guy.
Always has been.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

New York gets 15 local channels, all in HD. I get 6 locals plus 1 RSN, 2 of them in SD. So, using some folks logic, I should be paying less to DISH than someone in NY. To quote that old lady on TV, "that's not how it works, that's not how any of it works".

New York gets 15 local channels, all in HD. I get 6 locals plus 1 RSN, 2 of them in SD. So, using some folks logic, I should be paying less to DISH than someone in NY. To quote that old lady on TV, "that's not how it works, that's not how any of it works".
You live in a DMA with less channels.
Period.
Dish doesn't charge for local channels anymore.
And they also don't carry all the available locals in NY DMA
And actually we Have 12 HD locals because I don't speak Spanish.
So again more channels that I can't use but yet have to pay for.

Also NY RSNs are not just NY DMA.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I've said this before and I'll say it again, just because someone chooses not to switch doesn't mean they don't want certain channels. There are plenty of other things to consider for keeping Dish. That doesn't mean I don't want or wouldn't be willing to pay for SNY or MSG.

Reactions: Troch77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts