Colorado Voomers

x1hdtv said:
Have you tried unplugging power for a few minutes?
What resolution output are you using from receiver? I mean native, 1080i, 720p.
Press the red button under the cover on the right side pull down cover to change.

I powered off the STB for a minute or two, but never actually disconnected it from the wall. I talked to VOOM and they reminded me about the red button. Pushing that any number of times did nothing for my problem.

So, I held the power button down for ~10 seconds to force a soft reboot and that seems to have cleared its memory.

Thanks for the feedback!!

I have the update, and I notice a few things different. But I was pretty content before, and I consider the latest changes to be good. For me, there isn't much difference between this and 5.68.

Glad I found this thread. I need some advice from all you old voomers.

Starting out a Little rocky. Was scheduled for install when I ordered for 8/9 but the installer couldn't make it that day so Voom bumped me to 8/10.
I called them and asked them whether they or their installers where driving the business but couldn't get a definitive answer.

Deciding to run with the ball I contacted the secondary installer they assigned to the job and we agreed on a install of 8/8 on Sunday.

The tech said that I would only get 1 OTA channel In Longmont. This is way short of the promises based on Voom's reliance on antenna web.

I am anxious to see what my new Samsung will look like as I am moving in to a new house and haven't seen the pq yet. I hope this service works. Any advice????

Welcome aboard macsailor. I'll reply since I am definitely an 'old voomer'.

Point 1 was about installation. All the satellite companies sub-contract their installations, so in that respect--Voom is no different than D* or E*. Once the order is placed, we are all subject to the availability of the installer. You've got yours all set for Sunday, and we'll be pulling for you. Best of luck!!

Point 2 was on OTA. You mentioned speaking to a tech, but that was probably a CSR. They are not the definitive authority on quoting the number of OTA channels that you will get. Best advice is to let the installer do their thing. The new software has OTA scanning, which automates part of the installation for OTA. Go to antennaweb.org and print the digital channel list for your zip code. Have that ready on Sunday, and see what channels you end up with. If there is a problem after installation, deal with it at that time. You may need to re-orient your antenna or get a bigger one, but you won't know until after it's installed. Generally, you want your OTA to be as high as possible, with a clear line of sight to the broadcast source.

Point 3 was your new Sammy in your new house. Upon installation, you may not have the latest software installed on the set top box, but it will update through the satellite. Usually on the first night, but it may take up to 3 days before an update.

Now here is my best advice....stay in touch. This forum is a great place to get information and to troubleshoot anything that's wrong. You get real-time answers from people who know what they are talking about. Here in the Colorado thread, we have one of the most knowledgeable guys on the whole forum in Sat4me. GEBrown is another good guy who seems to be pretty 'up' on his satellite knowledge.

It is easier and faster to post here, and you usually get answers that are better than what you would get from customer service, so use the forum. Again--welcome, and keep in touch.

Welcome macsailor.
Stoneman sumed it up very well. Leave receiver off at night to get the new update. Some new receivers already have it loaded on them.
Several people in Longmont get some of the Denver channels very well. With digital you either get it or you don't. You may want to put a rotor so you can turn antenna to help fine tune. Cheyenne, Fort Collins come to mind.

macsailor said:
I am anxious to see what my new Samsung will look like as I am moving in to a new house and haven't seen the pq yet. I hope this service works. Any advice????

You don't say which Sammy you have, but I presume it's one of the HLN DLP's. If so you are gonna LOVE it!!!

I have an HLN567W and it is stunning!!! Out of the box, it will look good, but it can be made to look better. Check out this thread over on the AVSForum - you will learn more than you EVER wanted to know about your new TV!!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244193&highlight=samsung

At a minimum, you will want to borrow or buy the AVIA setup DVD, that is the best tool - IMHO - for tuning your set.

As for VOOM, I am mightily impressed - I had ComCast HD before my recent move and I think the PQ from VOOM is generally superior.

Good Luck!!! Have fun!!!

Thanks to all for the great info. I will let you all know how it all went.
After I get my TV working with voom I hope to quiz all of you about the other equipment I will be adding to my little home theatre.
Thanks again for your input.

I have an Avia setup DVD that I'd be willing to send to the first person that sends me a private message. 1 condition--when you are done with it, make the same offer to somebody else. Kind of like 'Pay it Forward'.

Got my Voom hooked up.
Sat signal is 92 and the pq is great. Very happy with the SD quality also.

The bad part is I am only receiving 2-1, 2-2, 31-1 OTA and all have slight pixalization at top of screen. How am I gonna get to see the Olympics in HD?
I am located in Longmont and the Antenna web says I should be receiving more.

They sent the installer out with the Winegard Stealth antenna and he said that I would only be able to get a few channels with that antenna. Offered to upgrade me for a charge. I've read that many of you have gotten Voom to upgrade your antennas at no charge. Any advice appreciated.

I sure hope Voom works out and am willing to put up with their struggle.
If it doesn't HDTV will be set back years.

Thanks

At installation, I got all the major OTA channels except 7 (ABC). I called Voom and told them the situation and they had a guy come out with an upgraded antenna in 3 days. Installed the Winegard PR8800, and now I get all locals. There was no charge from anyone. So I'd call and let Voom know, and ask what they can do. I am sure that there has got to be an antenna that will let you receive the Denver stations. If you can get channel 2, you should be able to get the rest of them.

I've read in the forum about adjusting the Samsung TV's to get rid of the malfunction at the top of the screen, but did not pay much attention since I don't have a Samsung.

You might also want to tell Voom about the 92 signal strength. That number is OK, but could be higher by orienting the dish a little better.

I would call Voom and request a larger antenna. There should not be any additional charge for it. From what I understand channels 2 & 31 come from lookout mtn and the rest are from downtown, Republic plaza.

Thanks all. I will call them this evening and suggest the other antenna.

Also developed anothe rproblem this morning. We had a little breeze in Longmont this morning and got a bunch of pixelization about every five seconds.

mac--that sounds like another good reason to get the dish checked. It might not be fastened securely enough, causing it to move when the wind blows. Needs orientation and tightening.

OK, after last nights update to 6.20. I have lost channel 2.1(34). I've cheched the signal strength and it is/was at 91. Scanning OTA channels does not pick it up though. Now 10 minutes later the signals not there at all. WTF!

Has anyone else lost channel 2?

I have tried adjusting the antenna around with no change except loosing the other stations.

I lost it too. It has happened before, so I think it's local, and not related to the new software. From time to time, you get the 'no signal' message, and the next day--it's back. Very weird.

Normally I would agree with you but I finally got my bed room rec. to manually tune to 2.1(34) & I am getting a pic. I tried it with the living room rec. & NO GO! I have done exactly the same thing in the living room as the bed room. Both are getting a 91 to 92 power signal. Only the bed room will show 2.1 but not 2.2. The living room will not show either.:mad: . To top things off I'm now getting 7.2 (which I did not before the update) besides 7.1. Go figure!:confused:

Lost channel 2 also with the upgrade last night. Channel 2 has had problems in the past and it could be their problem not voom. I will check my D* receiver when I get home.

I'm just pissed that we won't be able to get the Olympic channel here in Denver- according to VOOM Denver won't get the HD channel- damn, knew I should've gone w/ Dish. (Since the installer brought the wrong antenna and I'm in a difficult location, i can't get KUSA-DT). :(

Pittsburgh-West (including Wheeling/Steubenville) Voomers

DALLAS and VOOM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)