Combing Antennas, Will this work?

jlhugh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
Austin, Texas, United States
I have a 4228 up in the attic that works great on all my channels but one. That channel comes in at 70% on my 722. It works fine most of the time, but winds seem to mess it up pretty bad. I can make the 4228 pull that low channel in at about 95% by moving it around a little, but then I lose a few of the others. I have a set of cheap rabbit ears with the loop. I used this before the 4228 and it works get for the channels that I lose when I move the 4228 to get the low channel in at 95%. If I go out and buy a balun and hook it up to the same place the other one is on the 4228 and then plug those rabbit ears in. Do you think that will work to bring all my channels in strong like I want? Or will that cause some problems? I know it will only cost a few bucks to try, I just want to know if anyone has tried anything like this before?

That will probably make your overall signal worse.

Is the problem station VHF?

If so try a VHF yagi joined to the 4228 with a uhf/VHF combiner.

It is a low powered UHF channel 15. It is my Fox station. They just went HD right before the SB this year, but they were low power before. What I dont understand is it is right next to my ABC tower that is channel 11 and I can pull that one in at 100%. When I move the 4228 around to get Fox better I lose ABC. I mean they are right next to each other or close to it. I am shooting thru some tree too and this thing is in my attic too.

May very well be multipath problems in the attic. 4228 is more prone to multipath than yagi type antennas. I put my RS U75-R in the attic and the 4228 on a pole outside.

What I dont understand is it is right next to my ABC tower that is channel 11 and I can pull that one in at 100%. When I move the 4228 around to get Fox better I lose ABC.

Have you considered a separate antenna for VHF?
AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 Highband-Broadband VHF HD Yagi for Channels 7-13 (Y5-7-13) | Y5-7-13 [AntennaCraft] | highband broadband 7-13 VHF High band vhf high VHF HD YAGI

You'd aim the UHF antenna where it needs to be for channel 15 and the VHF antenna at channel 11. This will add them together. Pico Macom UVSJ UHF VHF Band Separator/Combiner for Antenna (UVSJ) | UVSJ [Pico Macom] | UVSJ

Thanks for the replies. The trick I was talking about didn't work. It actually acted like it did not really do anything different. I may have to go the 2 antenna route. An amp might also work.

If you combine antennas you need channel (frequency) specific band pass filters so you don't bring in extra multripath and raise the noise floor. Carrier to noise ratio is critical in digital transmission.

Adding another antenna pointed another direction will overall degrade everything on the line after the combiner or (splitter ran backward). If you use a bandpass it will only allow the desired channel to pass and then block out everything else on that port.

Google the web and look for bandpass uhf filters. There are companies that make them.
You may have to get them from RL Drake.

Antennas can be combined ONLY under LIMITED conditions:

For ALL frequencies of interest, they must match in phase and amplitude. This is done by people who know radio frequency engineering well, and will hurt performance if you don't kno what you're doing.

This makes your attempt very risky. You'll likely add multipath interference with adding the second antenna.

Try a rotater on your big antenna?

Or switch between the two antennas, A/B switch?

I am an RF engineer, and I do know how to combine antennas. It is not trivial. You get two antennas of the same model, put a low noise preamp on each one at the antenna, use coaxial cables of identical length into a splitter used in reverse as a combiner, and the single output goes to the TV.

The antennas must be on the same mast, pointed the same direction, and at the proper distance apart (~wavelength/2.) And, this will only add 3 dB (2x) signal for all the work and expen$e. The preamps (not cheap for quiet ones) are used to ensure cable and combiner losses don't negate the hard work to do this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts