combining two antennas

caesar gdi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
I currently have a Channel Master 4221 with a Titan UHF pre-amp. I want to add another UHF antenna. can I use a splitter in reverse to combine the two antennas?

it should look something like this

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 778
You might get away with it if the two antennas are pointed in directions more than 90 degrees apart and if all the channels are distant. What happens is that the poor reception of off beam channels from antenna A will be combined with the good reception of those channels from the correctly pointed antenna B and of course vice versa. To put it another way your success will be best if antenna A picks up very poorly the stations that antenna B is pointed towards and vice versa.

Channel Master used to make antenna couplers that would allow you to pick up one channel from a second antenna and combine it with an all channel antenna. Say it was channel 49. The coupler would only combine channel 49 from the second antenna and combine all other channels from the main antenna. They were called join-tenna couplers and came in VHF and UHF single channel versions. I think they stopped making these 5 or 10 years ago.

Lorenzo said:
Channel Master used to make antenna couplers that would allow you to pick up one channel from a second antenna and combine it with an all channel antenna. Say it was channel 49. The coupler would only combine channel 49 from the second antenna and combine all other channels from the main antenna. They were called join-tenna couplers and came in VHF and UHF single channel versions. I think they stopped making these 5 or 10 years ago.

Actually, no, Join-Tennas are still available. You can custom order the one for the UHF channel of interest here:
Warren Electronics

Thanks for the correction Carl. One thing I did notice though is that join-tennas are no longer available for chnls 2-5. This is from the Andrew/Channel Master site.

I have 2 UHF antennas combined. They are pointing about 90-100 degrees apart.

The biggest pointer I have read is that the antennas must be the same ie add another ChannelMaster 4221.

I have 2 radioshack uhf only antennas combined and they work great. they are pointed about 150 deg apart I connect them to a channelmaster preamp (model 3041dsb) with antenna lead wire and then ran about 150 feet of RG6 to a splitter I run 3 tuners from there.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 776

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)