Comcast Drops Yankees (YES) Network

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Drops-Yankees-YES-Network-135674

Comcast has dropped the YES Network, home of the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Nets, after the two sides couldn't reach a new carriage agreement. According to Comcast, the money 21st Century Fox was asking for the channel was "not acceptable given the network’s minimal viewership." According to Comcast, 90% of the roughly 900,000 Comcast subscribers who receive the YES Network "didn’t watch the equivalent of even one quarter” of the 130 games broadcast last season.

In a statement posted to its website, the YES network said Comcast backed away from negotiations and severed the channel with "no advance notice to its subscribers," urging users to find another cable operator that carriers that channel.

"Comcast's reputation for poor customer satisfaction is well known, but this surprise development represents a new low," claims the channel.

The standoff is only the latest fight over fees between programmers and cable operators, who have started dropping lower rated channels in order to save costs (savings generally not passed on to consumers).

There's some additional user conversation about the standoff between YES and Comcast in our Comcast forum.

YES has been a partnership between Fox Sports and the Yankees for a while now. Up until a few years ago Fox owned 49% of the channel, now I think it's 80%.

I believe YES when they say Comcast backed away because that is close to what DISH did long ago. I also believe (or close enough) Comcast when they say the channel is not watched enough to pay what is being asked and I bet they came to the same conclusion DISH did. Not enough customers will care and that Comcast will not lose much in the end if they don't carry it. If only they would stick with that decision (Not predicting that) making two providers not carrying it, maybe others will follow suit and RSN's or some of them would be forced to lower the cost or be in another package.

So I just tuned to YES on my Comcast connection here at my office.

And here is what is shown.
yesnetwork.png

I believe YES when they say Comcast backed away because that is close to what DISH did long ago. I also believe (or close enough) Comcast when they say the channel is not watched enough to pay what is being asked and I bet they came to the same conclusion DISH did. Not enough customers will care and that Comcast will not lose much in the end if they don't carry it. If only they would stick with that decision (Not predicting that) making two providers not carrying it, maybe others will follow suit and RSN's or some of them would be forced to lower the cost or be in another package.
You don't know any yankee fans

I find it hard to believe that nobody in Connecticut or NY watches Yankee games. Either Yes inflated their numbers as the most watch RSN in the country or Comcast is full of crap.

Very interesting...

Since DISH does not have it if you live in a Comcast area the only way to get it is via DIRECTV.
AT&T will use this as a huge marketing push for DirecTV once baseball season starts. And if they don't reach an agreement I will be canceling Comcast.

YES Network ratings hit a new low this year. Their highest average viewing was at about a 2.5% share. Their total average audience was about a 0.7% share. I know the channel is very important to the 7 out of every 1000 people watching TV when games aren't on, and as many as 25 people out of every 1000 watching TV when a game is on, but is that worth the cost to the other 975 people?

Reactions: Tampa8 and osu1991
YES Network ratings hit a new low this year. Their highest average viewing was at about a 2.5% share. Their total average audience was about a 0.7% share. I know the channel is very important to the 7 out of every 1000 people when games aren't on, and as many as 25 people out of every 1000 when a game is on, but is that worth the cost to the other 975 people?
So I assume Comcast will also drop NESN and their own CSN since nobody watches those either.

Agreed, but for Comcast to bitch at the price of YES and then still re-up with ESPN is hypocritical. They either tell all of the sports nets to suck it, or they shut up and bend over.
RSNs are very different from national cable channels. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Aside from that, without knowing what yes was demanding, it's impossible to determine if it's hypocritical or not.

RSNs are very different from national cable channels. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Aside from that, without knowing what yes was demanding, it's impossible to determine if it's hypocritical or not.
Supposedly Fox wanted a 33% increase. They charge $4 something now. Compared to what ESPN charges at $7. As usual both sides will blame the other, when they are both at fault. And Im sure Comcast will lower their prices now with Yes gone, right?

$4 is a lot more than the average RSN and they want to bump it to $5.33? For coverage of two pro sports teams? I find nothing wrong with Comcast balking at that.

Last I checked ESPN shows more than games from just 1 or 2 teams.

YES could have taken the ala carte option dish offered them years ago and kept all the money, but they are too greedy and want everyone to pay for their channel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

$4 is a lot more than the average RSN and they want to bump it to $5.33? For coverage of two pro sports teams? I find nothing wrong with Comcast balking at that.
I agree, Fox is over charging. I wonder if that was Fox that wanted the increase or the Yankees. With that said, Will Comcast be reimbursing it's customers $4.00 going forward?

So I assume Comcast will also drop NESN and their own CSN since nobody watches those either.

Does Comcast pay what others do for their own channel? Since there has never been a problem with DISH and NESN I have to assume NESN doesn't ask as much of an increase to Comcast, DISH, etc. Most importantly they carry the RED SOX. Can't drop them. :devilish :hiding

Reactions: Annie61
Does Comcast pay what others do for their own channel? Since there has never been a problem with DISH and NESN I have to assume NESN doesn't ask as much of an increase to Comcast, DISH, etc. Most importantly they carry the RED SOX. Can't drop them. :devilish :hiding
Does NESN have the clout that Yes has. How many households does NESN reach? I thought I heard they get $3 something a month. When are they up for re-negotiations, those prices might climb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)