Comcast HD deal in Bay Area

michael01

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Are there any good Comcast HD deals in the Bay Area? I'm looking to switch from Dish Network... thanks much :)

Why not call Comcast and ask them? Tell them that you are a satellite customer and you're thinking about moving to Comcast. You might be pleasantly surprised for about a year.

will do... just wanted to see what others have been getting lately since promotion changes all the time...

That's just it. The promotions change all the time. I heard recently that if you call and ask about one it isn't as good as if they called you to try to get you to change or order, etc. Not sure where the logic is in that. An example is my neighbor got 2 basic HD boxes for 1 year at no charge. I can't remember if a Comcast person was going door to door or if he got a call. I asked about it and was told that the promotions change all the time and it wasn't available.

Are there any good Comcast HD deals in the Bay Area? I'm looking to switch from Dish Network... thanks much :)

I'm confused! If you are interested in HD programming why would you be looking at leaving Dish for Comcast? I know the "Triple play" is very attractive to alot of people, but when it comes to HD, Dish is head and shoulders above comcast.

I'm confused! If you are interested in HD programming why would you be looking at leaving Dish for Comcast? I know the "Triple play" is very attractive to alot of people, but when it comes to HD, Dish is head and shoulders above comcast.

Depends on what you me that Dish's HD is head and shoulders above Comcast. If you mean number of HD stations, then you're correct. If you mean PQ, you're wrong. Comcast's PQ is head and shoulders above Dish's. If you take away the VOOM channels, then their line up is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
I got to backup the Comcast people in the Bay Area too. You take away the Voom channels and the HD line up is pretty much the same as Dish Network. The quality of SD is also very good and of course the HD channels quality is better than E*.

I got to backup the Comcast people in the Bay Area too. You take away the Voom channels and the HD line up is pretty much the same as Dish Network. The quality of SD is also very good and of course the HD channels quality is better than E*.

I actually have both were I live. I would give Comcast a small edge in SD picture quality, but the HD picture quality is subjective in my opinion. I've heard that Comcast passes its HD channels at full resolution, but when I compare the two I see almost no difference.

I have a brother in the Bay area who has Comcast.....pretty much the same HD channels I get in Missouri......less then half what Dish offers.

I actually have both were I live. I would give Comcast a small edge in SD picture quality, but the HD picture quality is subjective in my opinion. I've heard that Comcast passes its HD channels at full resolution, but when I compare the two I see almost no difference.

I have a brother in the Bay area who has Comcast.....pretty much the same HD channels I get in Missouri......less then half what Dish offers.

I've had both in my area too. I've felt that the SD picture was a bit better with Dish, but the HD was a little soft on Dish compared to Comcast. Now, one thing I rarely see on Comcast is pixilation with the HD picture. I saw it a lot on Dish. It just looks sharper on Comcast.

I've had both in my area too. I've felt that the SD picture was a bit better with Dish, but the HD was a little soft on Dish compared to Comcast. Now, one thing I rarely see on Comcast is pixilation with the HD picture. I saw it a lot on Dish. It just looks sharper on Comcast.

I hear ya! But my experience has been the opposite. I think the drop to my apartment complex may be bad. Also, I get a strong signal on the 129 satellite location. I don't question the overall quality of Comcast HD.....its quite good...but I don't have alot of faith in them being competitive in the quantity of channels. Normally, I would choose quality over quantity, but IMO the quality is only marginally better....if at all.

The HD and SD PQ in the high-bandwidth systems in the Bay Area is outstanding. If one lives in a high-bandwidth area, then HD, SD, and especially local channels, all look better on Comcast than Dish.

The bad (low bandwidth) areas inlude parts of Sunnyvale, Milpitas, and Los Gatos in the South Bay, and Santa Rosa/Rohnert Park, up in the North.

Comcast normally offers a "dump the dish" deal of $25 off for 16 months.

$11.95 is the monthly fee for the HD DVR, which much cheaper than $25.99 costs with E* for HD and DVR. (Of course, E* does have quite a few more HD channels, with all that Voom crap.)

When I compare the regular price for the package I have from Comcast, it is roughly the same price as the equivalent package from E*. (Digital Silver w/HBO, HD, DVR.)

No part of Rohnert Park is in a low bandwidth area. We get all the channels you do Gary and the PQ is outstanding here. Santa Rosa, on the other hand........

Gary, is South San Jose in a low or high bandwidth area?

btw, I talked to 2 different Comcast CSRs & both confirmed the new requirement to signup with PreferredPlus ($49.99 for 3months, $98.45 regular) programming to get HDDVR, which makes it more expensive than Dish.

Did anybody manage to get HDDVR recently (past 2 weeks or so) w/ lower package signup?

Gary, is South San Jose in a low or high bandwidth area?

btw, I talked to 2 different Comcast CSRs & both confirmed the new requirement to signup with PreferredPlus ($49.99 for 3months, $98.45 regular) programming to get HDDVR, which makes it more expensive than Dish.

Did anybody manage to get HDDVR recently (past 2 weeks or so) w/ lower package signup?

Most area's are low stock on equipment. They have propbably changed the level of service required to get one temporarily until they get more in.

Most area's are low stock on equipment. They have propbably changed the level of service required to get one temporarily until they get more in.

Based on your post, I find it hard to believe you. Consider this scenario using your sales logic:

I go down to my local Comcast store and ask for a HDDVR and I am told that I must subscribe to the highest level of digital service to get one. I say OK and off I happily go with my new HDDVR.

Two weeks from now my neighbor, who saw what I had, goes down to the same store and picks one up and is given one for just the medium level of digital service.

We talk about this and I figure out I've been screwed into getting a higher level of service just because Comcast had a supply problem.

What you are suggesting amounts to bait and switch and that is illegal....

Now, when I go into the Comcast website, it says that I must subscribe to Digital Preferred or above to get a DVR. I pop in addresses all over California and get the same answer.

I think you would do better to understand your product more clearly.

Based on your post, I find it hard to believe you. Consider this scenario using your sales logic:

I go down to my local Comcast store and ask for a HDDVR and I am told that I must subscribe to the highest level of digital service to get one. I say OK and off I happily go with my new HDDVR.

Two weeks from now my neighbor, who saw what I had, goes down to the same store and picks one up and is given one for just the medium level of digital service.

We talk about this and I figure out I've been screwed into getting a higher level of service just because Comcast had a supply problem.

What you are suggesting amounts to bait and switch and that is illegal....

Now, when I go into the Comcast website, it says that I must subscribe to Digital Preferred or above to get a DVR. I pop in addresses all over California and get the same answer.

I think you would do better to understand your product more clearly.

Actually, I understand the services very well. The packages are different all over. For example, some areas allow DVR with Starter but you only get the local channels in HD. Also, online sales are different than actually calling in and speaking with a local rep. Online sales are national promos, over the phone is local. For example, my area has deals that are sometimes cheaper than the normal triple play offeres. I should have explained it more clearly.

Additionally, Your area could have changed it's guidelines all together and might require pref plus. If you your neighbor was able to get the DVR with a lower package simple call your local comcast and tell them that. If this is true then they are not enforcing the guidelines properly. They will be able to see his account and verify if that is true. They will not have a probablem honoring the same thing your neighbor was able to get if you explain the situation to them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)