Comcast HD quality

SactoCal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
bruce said:
so I got hold of a local Comcast salesman

GAWD! If you don't like the quality of D* then you will definitely be unhappy with Comcast. I allowed them to supply me with HD content for a whole 10 minutes before I told the installer he could pack his equipment and leave. I displayed his Comcast HD on my plasma next to the Digital (as in non-HD, Surewest does not have HD yet) signal I get from Surewest on my WEGA. He looked at them and said "See, the PQ looks just as good as Surewest". Duh!

Ken H, the main HD Moderator at AVS lives in Metro Detroit as I do, and he went on record there and said that Comcast (in our area anyways) does not down-convert or reduce bitrates for HD, my step father has Comcast and E* and channels like DiscoveryHD looks the same on each provider.
The analog SD chanels are moving to the Digital Spectrum here in March, so that might make them at least watchable.
Remember, not all cable areas are the same, even if it is the same company.

Sorry to go off-topic, but he asked me, had to answer, did not to be rude.

I've had both and the difference was noticeable. Voom's HD PQ was much better than Comcast's. Oddly enough, Comcast's SD channels looked better than Voom's.

Perhaps it does vary from market to market.

I compared Comcast with E* and in my opinion Comcast look better. INHD1&2 looked better the HDNET/HDNET MOV and DescoveryHD was much much better on Comcast.
I was suprised.

Its just to bad the the rest of the main channels on Comcast are still analogue and are unwatchable on my big screen monitior.

Walter L. said:
SacoCal: A lot of people disagree with you
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you like Comcast, good for you :) I have heard people say Windows ME is a great OS also. But then, some people couldn't tell good PQ from VHS.

BTW, its SactoCal :p

Improving

In my area they are making major improvements on all fronts. My broadband connection is now 6Mbps and they are offering the analog SD channels as digital so you get an entire digital package. HD quality of channels like DHD are on a par with Voom but the number of HD channels is still low. Certainly not a replacement for Voom at this point, but getting better. :rolleyes:

Satellite space required

Will Tivo GO Retail only?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)