Comcast: No, We're Not Forcing Users to Rent Modems

My aunt wasn't very happy with her DSL. So I told her to get Comcast. She lives in Memphis, TN. I told her to buy a Motorola 6121 modem since it is the same one I have, and I have a much higher tier than her.

At the final installation last month (took 4 tries from another crew with a month total wait to run a 50 foot line from her backyard to her house), the installer made her use one of their Arris modems (at $8 a month) and customer service has not budged saying that the Motorola 6121 wouldn't work with her Performance service.

Comcast management needs to make these things uniform as she can't take her Motorola modem back to where she bought it since the install took so long to do. I'm going to visit her in a month or two. Maybe I can get the modems swapped if Comcast changes their procedures since last month.

My aunt wasn't very happy with her DSL. So I told her to get Comcast. She lives in Memphis, TN. I told her to buy a Motorola 6121 modem since it is the same one I have, and I have a much higher tier than her.

At the final installation last month (took 4 tries from another crew with a month total wait to run a 50 foot line from her backyard to her house), the installer made her use one of their Arris modems (at $8 a month) and customer service has not budged saying that the Motorola 6121 wouldn't work with her Performance service.

Comcast management needs to make these things uniform as she can't take her Motorola modem back to where she bought it since the install took so long to do. I'm going to visit her in a month or two. Maybe I can get the modems swapped if Comcast changes their procedures since last month.

The 6121 should work with any level up to about 25 mpbs. What level does she have?
Show them this link from their own website, the 6121 is on it: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/approved-modems/m-p/1077619#M140968

The 6121 should work with any level up to about 25 mpbs. What level does she have?
Show them this link from their own website, the 6121 is on it: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/approved-modems/m-p/1077619#M140968

I have the 6121 with 100Mbps service and it works well here in the Denver area. I get about 112Mbps downloads.

She only has Performance, which is 25Mbps there. But as I said, that modem (Motorola 6121) isn't allowed to be used in the Memphis area with Comcast; per the installer that came out and then 3 phone reps after that. And the Arris modem they rent her only gives her about 12Mbps download speeds at the most when I've had her run speed tests. I had her mention that to them as well when she called about the wanting to use her purchased modem and reps weren't concerned with the slowness of the Arris and said that is normal there.

I've tried over the phone for her as well. I figure I'll just fix it all when I go down there in person. I'll hook up the Motorola and see if it gets anything where I can add it to her account. Then I'll return their rented one.

Whenever I've changed modems, I get a popup asking for the mac address. That's about all you need IIRC. Maybe the serial number.

DJ,
your not dealing with two different types of service are you ?

This situation could arise with ATT as they have Legacy DSL using one set of modem while the faster Uverse internet uses entirely different modems ... they are two separate types of service.

DJ,
your not dealing with two different types of service are you ?

This situation could arise with ATT as they have Legacy DSL using one set of modem while the faster Uverse internet uses entirely different modems ... they are two separate types of service.

It's the same service - residential cable internet from Comcast. And I started with the same tier called "Performance", before I went to a faster tier. According to all of the lists on the internet, the 6121 is still an approved model even though it first came out a few years ago.

I really think since so many told her "no" when trying to use her own modem (2 techs and 3 CSR's), the orders are coming from up above about pushing modem rentals to customers who don't know all of the facts.

I talked to my aunt more and found out a lot more info on the install. It gets even worse... real bad.

Here we go:

The Comcast installer also told her that her Netgear N300 wireless router that she was using for her old DSL service would not work with their service either. So he disconnected it and told her it wasn't worth keeping. The tech wanted it but she argued that she better keep it.

The Arris modem Comcast is renting her also has wireless built in. One of the CSR's she talked to after the install said that they require their own wireless modems so that other Comcast customers in the area can use the service in the neighborhood. I think that is a load of crap. I have read about their modems having that hidden "feature", but never saw that it is now a requirement to have their internet service.

It sounds like a huge book of misinformation from their installers and CSR's that service the Memphis area.

When I changed out modems a few years ago and went with this faster one at the time, I was able to call Comcast and just have them replace my modem on my account from just providing the mac address and serial number. So when I visit my aunt in the next month or two, I will try to do the same thing for her and hook her Netgear wireless router back up as well.

They also disconnected a couple of her Directv feeds to other rooms when they did the install. From the way she explained it, the Comcast tech went into her attic and patched into one of the rooms existing coax to hook up the modem (a room she didn't want the modem but he said that was the only option), and totally disconnected the Directv feed to it and also another room. She called Comcast after the install to let them know the installer did that and they say they aren't responsible for any issues they caused with her Directv service.

The Comcast CSR claims that the last utility who utilizes an inside cable, gets to keep it hooked up. They say she will now have to get Directv to run new lines from the attic to the bedroom where the cable modem is now hooked up to replace the line Comcast took over. And fix any other rooms that were disconnected during the Comcast install.

She also got charged 2 install charges when she was told beforehand she was getting a free install - one for $49 and one charge for $99 because they say she was an "expert install" because she has Directv. Real big BS.

I know her house very well and the Comcast tech could have just run a line directly into the room she wanted the modem in from an outside wall. It would've been so quick and easy. Instead, he ran a line to the attic, then tried to patch into the existing cabling that was being used for her Directv service. And hooked it up into a room she didn't want it in. She wanted it in her home office, but they put it into her young daughter's bedroom.

I find it ponderous why Comcast did what they did. She said the Comcast tech was there almost 5 hours doing all of this and was very unfriendly.

It sounds like a big mess, so I'll be bringing a box of cable tv and Directv SWM splitters with me, along with a compression tool, connectors and a spool of cable to fix it all. She just can't afford any more charges from Comcast or whatever Directv would charge to fix Comcast's mess.

When I do go there, I will be taking pics of it all so I can forward it to Comcast and post here. Maybe they will re-imburse the cost of my flight (haha yeah right) since I wasn't going to go down there until probably Fall before this happened.

I wonder how the install pricing varies around the country. I opted for a self-install using my own modem about six months ago (Motorola 6121). After spending an hour or two troubleshooting they sent a tech out because it wouldn't connect. The coax to my apartment was physically disconnected at the Comcast box, so the tech said I wouldn't be charged the $50 for his visit. When the $50 was on my bill I called, they escalated it, and it was removed from my bill. Maybe I was just a lucky one?

Fwiw I was able to pick up a lightly used arris modem on amazon for about 25 bucks. Not sure of the model off the top of my head but it's identical to what they provide for the Blast 50 meg service. If she has her own router she would be all set.

I had some issues a year ago when I signed up. Self install, cabling all brand new, modem wouldn't connect. They swore it showed activated. After 3 phone calls somebody finally realized it was disconnected at the pole. Took another week to get someone out, so I went up and did it myself. Got a bill credit for that week and it's been trouble free since. Just recently got the promotional rate extended for another year at 44.99. I routinely get about 60 down speeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts