Component or HDMI installation

varcieri

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Sorry if this is in another thread - looked but couln't find one. My parents upgraded from standard def dish to HD dish with HD tv about a couple months ago, and the installer used component cable!! I thought for the best HD picture an HDMI cable was to be used!! Is this true or am I off base here? I called dish and the first csr I talked to said they didn't provide HDMI cable, and I asked why didn't the installer say something? and the second CSR I talked to said they DID provide the HDMI cable, and was sending a tech out to reinstall. Any thoughts or experience with this from someone else whould be much appreciated....:rant:

Use HDMI. Do it yourself and don't bug E* for it. Save the aggravation and get an HDMI cable from fleabay or monoprice or some other internet seller. You should be able to get a 10' HDMI cable for $15 or less, sometimes way less delivered!

There isn't much discernable difference between HDMI and component video. Both are acceptable for HD. Composite would be a different story.
what is composite vs component? And, if thereis not much difference betweet HDMI and component then what's the purpose of HDMI? Now I'm really confused! All I know is that the hi def picture doesn't seem to be as high def thru that as mine is...

HDMI sends video and sound , Component sends only video, composite sends video and sound. HDMI is digital, component and composite are analog, which means the signal must be converted to digital by the HD Tv.
Dan

All I know is that the hi def picture doesn't seem to be as high def thru that as mine is...
I'd say the HD setup isn't complete at your parents' house. Go into the HD setup menu and make sure it's set to the best resolution your parents' set is capable of.

This is another nice thing about HDMI. It's digital, so the receiver can ask the TV what it's got, and reset the resolution accordingly. With component, the reiver has no way of knowing what the TV at the other end can do. So mistakes will garble the picture, which makes fixing it rather difficult.

Some people actually prefer component over HDMI. But overall, there is generally no difference. BTW, compoment is the Red, Green & Blue connection set.

Componant breaks the (video) signal into three subsets (luminance and two chrominance channels). Cables and connectors are generally red, green, blue. Audio is connected seperately.

Composite has the entire video signal on one cable. Cable and connectors are generally yellow. Audio is connected seperately.

HDMI is digital and carries audio along with it.

If the tech used component cables, you probably won't see much of a difference by going to HDMI. If the tech used COMPOSITE cables, you will see a drastic difference.

Componant breaks the (video) signal into three subsets (luminance and two chrominance channels). Cables and connectors are generally red, green, blue. Audio is connected seperately.

Composite has the entire video signal on one cable. Cable and connectors are generally yellow. Audio is connected seperately.

HDMI is digital and carries audio along with it.

If the tech used component cables, you probably won't see much of a difference by going to HDMI. If the tech used COMPOSITE cables, you will see a drastic difference.
I'm not sure whether its component or compositie - the cordis gray, thick(looks like the 3 wires are all melded together) and is plugged into the rca type jacks in the back of the tv and dish receiver. The HDMI slot is open on both tv & receiver. Oh, and I have to select the composite input on the tv to watch dish programming.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether its component or compositie - the cordis gray, thick(looks like the 3 wires are all melded together) and is plugged into the rca type jacks in the back of the tv and dish receiver. The HDMI slot is open on both tv & receiver. Oh, and I have to select the composite input on the tv to watch dish programming.

If you only have a total of three connections for video and audio, then it is the wrong type of connection for HD.

Component would be a total of five connections: three for the video and two for the audio.

HDMI would only require a single connection.

It really depends on the TV set as to whether Component or HDMI looks better. But either of these two choices will be much better than what you have now.

Considering you set your tv to "composite" to watch satellite, that won't get you HD. Composite cables (one video-yellow, two audio-red/white) can also be linked together.

For all intents and purposes, you can use composite cables (yellow/red/white) to hook up a component signal, and you can use a component cable (green/red/blue) to hook up a composite signal. Just keep the colors the same (if you use the yellow cable to carry the 'green' from your sat rx, make sure it plugs in to the green connector on your TV).

If Dish will give you an HDMI cable with no charge, go for that. Otherwise, order a cable online. You can get a 6' HDMI for <$10 w/shipping online vs. $20-$40 in a brick store.

Considering you set your tv to "composite" to watch satellite, that won't get you HD. Composite cables (one video-yellow, two audio-red/white) can also be linked together.

For all intents and purposes, you can use composite cables (yellow/red/white) to hook up a component signal, and you can use a component cable (green/red/blue) to hook up a composite signal. Just keep the colors the same (if you use the yellow cable to carry the 'green' from your sat rx, make sure it plugs in to the green connector on your TV).

If Dish will give you an HDMI cable with no charge, go for that. Otherwise, order a cable online. You can get a 6' HDMI for <$10 w/shipping online vs. $20-$40 in a brick store.
I didn't set the TV to component, the DISH installer did it, as well as used the component cables! And, I was dumbfounded as to why, when it was an upgrade to HD service from regular service. I bought an HDMI cable, but couldn't get a dish signal through (I'm sure Iwasn't programming it correctly, thus the reason for the service call). I was just under the impression that one couldn't use anything other than an HDMI cable for the best picture for HDTV signals!

I didn't set the TV to component, the DISH installer did it, as well as used the component cables! And, I was dumbfounded as to why, when it was an upgrade to HD service from regular service. I bought an HDMI cable, but couldn't get a dish signal through (I'm sure Iwasn't programming it correctly, thus the reason for the service call). I was just under the impression that one couldn't use anything other than an HDMI cable for the best picture for HDTV signals!

I think we're getting component and composite messed up. BOTH use RCA jacks. The easiest way to tell what you're using is to look at the colors of the connectors (Red/Green/Blue = COMPONENT, Yellow/Red/White = COMPOSITE). Ignore the colors on the cable for a moment and look at the color of the connectors on the TV. If those connectors are R/G/B, then you're using component and WILL get the HD signal. If the connectors are Y/R/W, that's composite and not true "HD" quality.

Don't know. I hope that the HDMI cable makes a difference in PQ - it just seems like for a n HDTV the picture should be sharper. (I have seen it better, actually, for OTA HD broadcasts)

Given that the OP has not mentioned a separate two-conductor RCA cable for audio, I think we can safely assume his receiver and TV are connected with composite video and two-channel analog audio.

You will not get HD with this setup. I'd recommend you go buy an HDMI cable - it's the most idiot-proof solution. Trying to reuse your existing cable to carry component video, and buying another cable to carry the audio - you'll save some money, but there's a good chance you'd screw up the connections.

All of the possible connections are covered in your receiver owners manual. Have you even looked at it? As far as your TV is concerned, you must select HDMI input or Component from your input menu. Might want to read that manual as well. It's not rocket science.

All of the possible connections are covered in your receiver owners manual. Have you even looked at it? As far as your TV is concerned, you must select HDMI input or Component from your input menu. Might want to read that manual as well. It's not rocket science.
Arrrrghhh! YES, I read the manual! And no, it shouldn't be rocket science! But sometimes things don't work the way they are supposed to!! And you are missing my question - isn't HDMI connection better than component? Or not!

Arrrrghhh! YES, I read the manual! And no, it shouldn't be rocket science! But sometimes things don't work the way they are supposed to!! And you are missing my question - isn't HDMI connection better than component? Or not!

As I said previously, it depends on the individual TV model. Some do a better job with HDMI, but others do better with component. Are you paying attention to what we have been taking the time to post?:rant:

Yes, I have been paying attention. And, I understand what everyone has been saying. Some haven't been understanding what I'M saying!! Never mind - I will find out this evening after the Dish tech reprograms and hooks up the HDMI cable....

6-17-09 Any Changes - Additions...

Cost of hooking up external hard drive?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)