Component vs SVHS etc on Viewsat Extreme

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 15, 2005
none
Ok...here goes. I think this is more of a cable review than a Viewsat review....so I made a thread..we will see where Iceberg puts it.
I have just completed an extensive review of component out vs Svhs out etc.
I tried out el cheapo a/v cables vs Monster THX component cables and Monster vs Philips el cheapo SVHS on the Viewsat Extreme..
results....bear in mind that everything in my system is first converted to HDMI thru my receiver and then upconverted to 720p by my plasma HDTV!
1) NO discernable difference between $140 Monster component cables and $3.00 AV cables on component out jacks!!!!
2) No discernable difference between Monster SVHS and Philips el cheapo SVHS cables!!!!
3) there is a VERY slight difference though between the component vs svhs color in saturation levels on the Viewsat Extreme. They are thick and heavy but I am leaving the Monster THX component cables hooked up to the receiver.
I do subscribe to good speaker wire though!
Bottom Line....Viewsat Extreme has great video and audio AC3 output!
Results may vary on regular TVs that do not upconvert though + the HDMI output factor is to be considered!
BTW...I am using a $7 Toslink cable (off Ebay) with the new type connector that eliminates jitter. MONSTER, YOU ARE OVER RATED! (as we all knew) and yes, I am obviously an equipment junkie with all this stuff laying around!!! Being semi retired, I can play all I want! Earned it the hard way! ....Damn...FTA IS GREAT!!
jeff

Last edited:
Agree. As long as one get the right size and type of cable then most will work for the ave Joe or Joe-Ann. Good solid ends also help too.

PSB said:
IMO, Monster cables are the biggest rip off of all time!

PSB said:
IMO, Monster cables are the biggest rip off of all time!

Yes, and so are their Line conditioners! I have a Panamax AC Regenerating conditioner (got it on sale for $750!). It will hold 120V pretty much no matter what the draw is. I have some High current stuff...absolutely destroys Monster up to their $1500 set! Believe it or not, that noise will also affect your video picture, not to mention your amp!

When I bought it, the sales guy hooked a gizmo to the power outlet that let you hear the line noise audibly (wow was the power a mess).....then into the Panamax...SILENCE...then into a Monster where it was much reduced but NOT gone completely!! as said...RIP OFF! (but comes in pretty pakages!). A High current Amp can lose up to 15% of its power if it cannot get a full 120V...amazing.

Yes, the lights dim when my system goes on! <grin> My Velodyne Sub for the Home theater is rated at 1000 (yes, 1000) Watts RMS!!! TG it is class D amplification or I would have to go back to work!!!
Jeff

monsters are a pretty good price if you can buy them with an employee discount, the markup on them is rediculous and seems to be higher then most accesories because most of the people that walk into the store fall for the salesmans bs

yeah, the difference in quality of Svideo and component is very negligible in terms of sharpness if any at all. But component will provide more accurate colors. Any FTA receivers out there that has DVI or HDMI?

mkygod said:
yeah, the difference in quality of Svideo and component is very negligible in terms of sharpness if any at all. But component will provide more accurate colors. Any FTA receivers out there that has DVI or HDMI?
have not seen any yet...but HDMI is changing everything...Next year is HDMI 2 with a completely different connector to boot!
I cannot see too much difference between component and HDMI from my DVD player. The important link in my system is my HDTV's ability to line double everything coming in to excellent quality (line doubling=upconverting for those who are not aware)...all video sources go into my new Pioneer Elite receiver72TX no matter SVHS, HDMI, Component etc BUT COME OUT TO THE TV IN HDMI CONVERSION...PRETTY SWEET!

It was stupid to permit only stereo...not DD 5.1 to come thru HDMI 1.0 1nd 1.1!! (IMHO)
JEFF
I have no intention of trying to "keep up" since I just shelled out a fortune for my 5 year update of everything!!!
Jeff

Last edited:
mkygod said:
Any FTA receivers out there that has DVI or HDMI?
If you have a few bucks to spare after Christmas. The QUALI-TV "QS 1080IR" has Component, DVI, as well as RGB (VGA) outputs. Not sure if the RGB is HD or not. It's not cheap, and it doesn't have blind scan. $700......

Al

Yikes,,,,,

voomvoom said:
If you have a few bucks to spare after Christmas. The QUALI-TV "QS 1080IR" has Component, DVI, as well as RGB (VGA) outputs. Not sure if the RGB is HD or not. It's not cheap, and it doesn't have blind scan. $700......
Al

Wow, that is expensive for am FTA receiver (Even more than a dreambox!)...up in the area of a new 4DTV 922!! Personally, I do not need the digital out as I do not feel that it is worth the premium for my setup due to the up conversion of the video signals now ...

Also DVI would have to be converted to HDMI (yet another expensive cable or converter...the cable solution is better)...DVI on 1 end and HDMI on the other for it to work with my new components....I am getting lost with all the converting! <grin> (Component outs are just fine as was SVHS!)! BESIDES...NO BLIND SCAN...I WOULD BE BURIED...BLIND SCAN HAS MADE ME FAT, DUNB, AND HAPPY! <grin>

Thanks for correcting me too!

Jeff

voomvoom said:
Jeff,
Forgot to mention, that unit also decodes 4:2:2.
Al

OHHHHH! very Nice Indeed VoomVoom! Have you gotten your mits on one???

Darn, these forums are costing me $$$$
Jeff

Yup, I laugh everytime I see Munster's cables. I make my high quality low loss cables with RG-6. I could make 'em with RG-11 but that would be overkill and hard to work with. The biggest joke I saw is the gold plated fiber optic cable.

digiblur said:
Yup, I laugh everytime I see Munster's cables. I make my high quality low loss cables with RG-6. I could make 'em with RG-11 but that would be overkill and hard to work with. The biggest joke I saw is the gold plated fiber optic cable.

Never seen RG-11...Is it much stiffer to work with...I was considering it for a 150 ft run? I also make my own RG-6 stuff

Gold for Fiber optics? That is a VERY wierd one when transmitting LIGHT (those marketing guys would not know a cable from a turnip) !.

There is a new Fiber connector that eliminates jitter though...The cables can be had on Ebay for about $8 not the 50+ that Monster charges. Wokrs well on my Viewsat Extreme. The best way to describe the new connector is that the center light emmitting portion can turn inside the housing...great idea IMHO

Found it...Thanks

It was in the archive section! I think I will wait until I can get a dedicated dish up first....right now FTA is off my BUD! Have been spending like a madman...time to lklay back a little...habit forming!!

Have fun with it
Happy Holidays!
Regards
jeff

Oh yes, FTA can become a very expensive addiction indeed! For that matter, anything to do with broadcast TV, video, and computers can send one to debt counseling faster than Iceberg can ban a hacker! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts