CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

HDRoberts

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 13, 2008
Cleveland, OH
So more channel drops in the near future???

No, sounds like pulling the package is PREVENTING drops for the rest of us.

So a group like NBCU, Time Warner/Turner, Discovery or Comcast, which had deals (or deals for some channels) BEFORE Absolute came out want their channels out of the package.

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I would accept a deal as long as they didn't make me sign another 2 yr contract...but I know that isn't going to happen. So I think it's time for me to hit the road. The few channels I watch is not worth it to pay this much.

Think I'll snag the the cable co's bundle for a bit... with no contract...maybe try out a cablecard tuner for the HTPC and get it going again.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I dont think they will require a 2 year contract, as your not getting any new equipment. Giving you Discounted program is cheaper then them trying to find a new customer to replace you.

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
If you can believe what the lady who called me said, she said that there wasn't a contract.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that platinum HD add on that they're throwing in for 6 month is going to cost another $10 a month when that plays out.

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
might be just a money grab, E is excellent at that..:(

I mean you can try to defend it if you want, but all defense is speculation.

we know E has the bean counters running the show..... sub numbers reflect their hard work, although profits are up...

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
Offers?

I dont think they will require a 2 year contract, as your not getting any new equipment. Giving you Discounted program is cheaper then them trying to find a new customer to replace you.

Scott would you please confirm what will be offered to us, also date of the cut off. I've 6 more months on my contract so can't leave until then at the earliest.

dvrexpander

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 23, 2009
Near a tree
And to think I nearly signed up for Absolute when they had it but my wife was pissed she wouldn't get just 2 channels only available in SD so I never made the switch.. :rolleyes:

JohnEL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 19, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
No matter what anyone says, Dish should still look at offering some type of HD only package to those of us who only want HD. I've had the Absolute package since it began. Why? Because I do not want the other crap!:mad:
I started with Dish several years ago because they had the VOOM networks and we know what happened there!:mad: :mad:
Now they are looking at dropping this HD package-:rant:

Just do not know if their crap is worth it anymore. I will continue to look at this thread and when they call me, hopefully I be prepared to either accept what they will offer or cancel them.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
If you can believe what the lady who called me said, she said that there wasn't a contract.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that platinum HD add on that they're throwing in for 6 month is going to cost another $10 a month when that plays out.

I think the key here is that you guys don't get signed up for a contract. I think they're offering you a good deal for another year but all depends if there's a contract or not.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
legacy

No matter what anyone says, Dish should still look at offering some type of HD only package to those of us who only want HD. I've had the Absolute package since it began. Why? Because I do not want the other crap!:mad:
I started with Dish several years ago because they had the VOOM networks and we know what happened there!:mad: :mad:
Now they are looking at dropping this HD package-:rant:

Just do not know if their crap is worth it anymore. I will continue to look at this thread and when they call me, hopefully I be prepared to either accept what they will offer or cancel them.

I'm a VOOM legacy too. Not happy about this. But need to see the offer that will be available. It's also a WTF is SD almost anymore. Watch less than 3% in SD now. 1 thing is will have music channels again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts