Confirmed, H3 now supports 3 EHD's at the same time

bookworm370

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know what caused me to take the chance, but I have 4 EHD's on a USB3 switch. The H2 only showed 2 external drives. For grins I switched on a third one and, behold, it said external device 3 connected. I went to the DVR menu and is showed external device 1, 2 & 3.

I tried replaying from all 3 and all 3 worked just fine.

Then I took the chance and turned on number 4. It said external device connected but it still only showed the 1st 3. Glad they updated the amount of recognized external HD's.

When I turned off one of the 3 and then turned on the 4th, it recognized it and it appeared on the list correctly.

I guess a good undocumented feature. This opens up possibilities to take recordings from one of my smaller EHD's, copy them to the H3 and then archive them back to one of the remaining 3.

I don't know what caused me to take the chance, but I have 4 EHD's on a USB3 switch. The H2 only showed 2 external drives. For grins I switched on a third one and, behold, it said external device 3 connected. I went to the DVR menu and is showed external device 1, 2 & 3.

Then I took the chance and turned on number 4. It said external device connected but it still only showed the 1st 3. Glad they updated the amount of recognized external HD's.

When I turned off one of the 3 and then turned on the 4th, it recognized it and it appeared on the list correctly.

I guess a good undocumented feature. This opens up possibilities to take recordings from one of my smaller EHD's, copy them to the H3 and then archive them back to one of the remaining 3.

Yes it would be however when I tried this with 2 EHD's on my Hopper w/sling it would not allow me to move from EHD to EHD, I had to move from EHD to Hopper then again to the other EHD.. Very slow and time consuming. Wish they would fix that.

Yes it would be however when I tried this with 2 EHD's on my Hopper w/sling it would not allow me to move from EHD to EHD, I had to move from EHD to Hopper then again to the other EHD.. Very slow and time consuming. Wish they would fix that.

If you use USB3 EHDs then the speed will go up by at least a factor of 5. It's not the fault of the drive or Hopper. H2 had only USB2 which is slow. USB3 is almost direct disk-disk rate transfer.

Nice! What USB3 switch are you using?

3 EHD's at once - VERY cool. Now if they would integrate the view of recordings on the EHD's with the Hopper, there wouldn't really be any need or advantage to moving them back to the Hopper. They would just be using up valuable real estate. (space)

If you use USB3 EHDs then the speed will go up by at least a factor of 5. It's not the fault of the drive or Hopper. H2 had only USB2 which is slow. USB3 is almost direct disk-disk rate transfer.

I transferred 4 GB to and from H3. In all cases, time was nearly identical regardless of the H3 port used (USB 3.0 or USB 2.0) or the external drive used (USB 3.0 or USB 2.0). All were on the order of 0.5 GB/minute or 64 Mbits/s. (USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/s, USB 3.0 is 5,000 Mb/s). Clearly, the transfer speed is due to something inside Hopper, not the bus or external drive speeds.

One note, I have seen transfers to the external drive take half this much time on both a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 port but don't know why. I used same devices, same port, same material, just different tests.

Attachments

• 71hEMLpABTL._SL1400_.jpg
    71hEMLpABTL._SL1400_.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 265
I transferred 4 GB to and from H3. In all cases, time was nearly identical regardless of the H3 port used (USB 3.0 or USB 2.0) or the external drive used (USB 3.0 or USB 2.0). All were on the order of 0.5 GB/minute or 64 Mbits/s. (USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/s, USB 3.0 is 5,000 Mb/s). Clearly, the transfer speed is due to something inside Hopper, not the bus or external drive speeds.

Not doubting your tests, but they why are they selling the Hopper GO drive and why did they put in the USB3 port. The GO drive is 1 gig. At the speeds you tested it would take days to put recordings on it to take it with you on a trip. I would hate to think they limit USB3 speeds to everything but a GO drive.

One of these days, I'll have to try a test myself. That is once things get stable...

This is my HWS:

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1454888607.134921.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1454888667.056445.jpg

So it's a mixed bag.

Are you saying the H3 shows three EHDs from the DVR menu?

I didn't think it was possible to watch what is on the EHD connected to my H3 from another location (Joey) in the house? I definitely can, as I happened to try it today. Maybe I misunderstood (a rare occurrence LOL). This makes moving recordings back to the Hopper even less worthwhile.

You can see the EHD connected to the HWS on the Joeys. Unfortunately, you can not see the EHD with Dish Anywhere. I am hoping that Dish will eventually upgrade Dish anywhere to allow it to access the EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts