CONFIRMED: New version 6.10 has arrived! (Please post your observations here)

I got the new software and still cannot pick up ANY locals! :(

My OTA signal strength went from under 25 up to 74 after an antenna adjustment but I still get nothing. I tried tuning it and it maxes out between 73 and 74, I see that it locks above 80 but if you doesn't reach that you can't get anything?

It also shows 0.00 on the OTA power, is this normal(I am using a diplexer).

Rollz where do you live have you told Voom about this? They probably have to upgrade your antenna! What kind do you have and do you know how far the towers are?

Dvlos,

I just called Voom and they have someone doing an install in my area tomorrow so they are having someone come by. My antenna is a Winegard and towers are within 50 miles of me.

ROLLZROYCE said:
Dvlos,

I just called Voom and they have someone doing an install in my area tomorrow so they are having someone come by. My antenna is a Winegard and towers are within 50 miles of me.
It sounds like you may have the wrong type of diplexer(installers fault).
If you can, look at it...which of these two does it look like?
DC Power Pass to ANT and SAT
41020.jpg
DC Power Pass to SAT only
41051.jpg

I think the default Winegard Sensar II, it depends on which one you have, will not reach 50 miles, but it depends. You may need a stronger one, also if they didn't attach the OTA on the very top of your house they should. Check to see if they properly connected the diplexer. Do not let them leave your house until your problems are fixed. They just love to shrug their shoulders at times and go "Hey it's Voom's problem!" and bolt. They get paid for the call, and you generate another call, and they get paid again.

I will have to look later right now I am at work but I will bring that up to the installer, I should have the one on the top, correct?

Thank you guys for helping, also right now the antenna is right next to the dish on the bottom corner of my house, I will ask him to move it.

For me, my house is like solid concrete, and two stories, I live 3 miles away from a major airport, and i have nice electrical pole with transformers and junk just outside of my backyard. This has created a nightmare for installers that can't figure out why I don't get OTA from towers that are only 10-15 miles away. There's an invisible blind spot I guess in my yard that could be corrected by a more powerful antenna, however originally I was only getting 2 OTA channels. Until they moved it to the 2nd story of my house and I could pick up like 6. I'm only missing 2 OTA channels right now, FOX and ABC, I could pick up FOX but I'd have to rotate the antenna, and then I'd lose PBS, CBS, and UPN. I guess I've digressed a little, but the main point is with directional antennas "line of sight" is important. You're rated antenna range is going to also make a difference. The Sensar II is rated for 40-45 in ideal conditions, if you live out in the middle of nowhere or somethign, you may need a powerful 90 mile antenna to pick up a tower 50 miles away. Hopefully you're installer will know.

Moving it higher will definitely help. The reason I think it is the diplexer is because of the SigQ being good but the power(SP) being fubarred. That is what happened to me when I was upgraded from the Stealth, needs power passing diplexer, to the Winegard PR-8800, does not need power passing diplexer. Once the installer switched 'em all was good.

Got it last night. Seems pretty stable so far. I scanned for OTA and got what I expected. Transparent banner is a nice touch, other than that I really do not see much of a performance difference between 5.68 and 6.1. Too soon to tell. The real litmus test will be how my son and wife get along with the new software tonight during prime time viewing.

Received the update software last night on both of my STBs and it seems to be working fine without any initials glitches that many others experienced. Just had enough time to check out the OTA scanning and picked-up several additional local channels but still no FOX and WB channels for me yet. I will post another reply if I am able to get those channels in my area later after I play around with the new version tonight. My area is central Texas between Waco and Austin, Harker Heights, TX.

Signal Strength Sampling w/ v1.1o, 6.1o Misleading

I reside in Turlock, CA's (west coast, central valley).

I have, for quite some time, problems with pixilation and signal dropouts since my service began in Feb 04. Example; as recently as last night reception was so bad I couldn't watch any programming provided by Voom.

It just so happened that I was scheduled for a dish upgrade to a 30" to be installed today. When Installs Inc called yesterday to confirm the install I specifically asked then to confirm an install of a 30" dish, which they confirmed? The installer showed up w/o the dish BUT proceeded to install a new STB. Needless to say this is quite irritating. I still have pixilation and signal dropouts.

With the upgrade of v1.1o, 6.1o on 072704 I noticed a substantial change in the sampling rate of both OTA and Satellite signal. With the new v1.1o, 6.1o signal strength showed no variations leading me to believe sampling has decreased substantially. Both consumer and installer will get false impressions as to signal quality by the lack of sampling.

The STB has v5.o8 and shows signal variations that EXCEED 20% in peek to low signal strength.

I contacted Voom and attempted to explain the issue with a CSR and they were helpful in getting a new install date for another receiver and 30" for 080504 8 to 11 AM.

Bradley F Hallihan II

hallihan@sbcglobal.net

My box just started downloading the software, how long is it taking in average?????
It actually started about 9am this morning and by the time i got home at 5pm i was still going so i figured maybe it locked up and rebooted :-( , now's it back to start again.

Indy said:
Got it last night. Seems pretty stable so far. I scanned for OTA and got what I expected. Transparent banner is a nice touch, other than that I really do not see much of a performance difference between 5.68 and 6.1. Too soon to tell. The real litmus test will be how my son and wife get along with the new software tonight during prime time viewing.

I forgot to add my favorite new feature of 6.1. The ability of the guide to pick up on the channel you are presently on. THANK YOU VOOM!

fast channel surfing via the info bar

One absolutely awesome feature in the new version is the ability to fast channel surf via the info bar, and have the channel you stop on tune in almost instantly.

In the older version of the software, when I fast channel surfed via the info bar, without stopping on channels in between for a tune in, when I finally stopped on a channel 10 or 20 channels away from where I started, it would literally take 30 or more seconds to tune in the channel. It would start out just a blank screen for 10 or 20 seconds, then it would start stuttering the channel in, all pixelated, then blank again, then finally pull in the channel.

In the new software, it just comes in! It's great!!!

Some people are complaining that there is not a long of change here, but I'm betting there is a ton of changes under the hood, that over time, will be recognized.

This happens with Mac OS X updates all the time. There a few cosmetic changes and some people don't care about them, so they call the updated useless. Meanwhile, there are 100's of changes under the hood that make the OS more stable, run faster, fix bugs, etc.

I think this Voom update is like that.

I'm really enjoying the update! Just can't wait for WQED to fix their PSIP problem!

:p

If only Voom could be UNIX based! Interesting that everyone complains about Voom not being perfect after 9 months, yet over 95% of the population uses Windows operating systems that lock up and crashes daily after over decades of upgrades.

DO YOU SEE A PROBLEM HERE!

I found the Voom unit this evening with the green light on and 6.1 downloaded. The guide won't appear, and this has survived a soft and a hard reset.

The better things get the worse things get.

I hard rebooted mine when I got home today after the upgrade from lat night, and then tuned quite a few new channels though the mapping is quite odd, but so far everything looks great with the new software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts