Connect DVD player to 311 to new TV

buffee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I finally bought a new HDMI tv for my exercise room(instead of the RF modulator box to dvd etc) the tv is a SAMSUNG LN26D450, and I bought a small sony dvd player with HDMI also. I have the Dish 311 box. Can someone give me general instructions....I mean very easy,on how to connect the dvd player via the 311 into the tv...it appears I am only a NERD with computers, phones & tablets.....anything regarding TV, I am DUH!!!!
two weeks ago I bought a 46 inch flatscreen for the den and the guys who came to set it up, said because I didn't have the dish HD reciever only the reg DVR, that I wouldn't get the best pic...but then they saw I had an LG HDMI dvd player & ran everything thru it....and I have NEVER seen a picture as good as that..it doesn't even look like film, more like live action....its stunning.... I now have a HD flatscreen in everyroom, and yes at some point I will get an HD DVR..but I am still furious with DISH about the entire AMC deal, and if that doesn't change by the end of september at the end of 11 years..I will be going to U-Verse.....I appreciate anyone telling me in simple..easy....way how to hook up my dvd player. thanks:popcorn

It's very easy: It can't be done.

The only inputs on a 311 are from the satellite dish and from an OTA antenna.

Now, if you REALLY want to trash your PQ, you could rig up something to pass thru the OTA antenna. Not worth it. Results would be terrible.

I'd recommend connecting both the 311 and the Disc player directly to the TV and using the TV remote to select inputs. That TV has 2 HDMI inputs plus component input.

[strike]Hmmm. I don't see composite input on that TV. You may need to upgrade your receiver sooner than you thought. Or convert one of the crude outputs to VGA, component or HDMI (waste of money IMHO).[/strike]

OK- Possible correction. At this part of the Samsung site, it says it also has 2 composite inputs. The Samsung PDF does not mention them. Look on the back. If you see three RCA connectors by each other, red white & yellow, that's composite and will work directly off the 311. If you see a coax input, that's plan B. Of course, the output from a 311 isn't going to be particularly good on any HDTV, but you know that.

WELL, A FINAL DUH! I found the manual, with pictures. You have composite on the side, coax on the back. You're set to connect both DVD player and 311 directly to the TV without any extra steps. You even have the (preferred) S-Video option. Use an S-Video cable and red/white RCA cable from the 311, and HDMI from the DVD player (does it also play Blu-ray?).

Interesting how 3 different places on the Samsung site give 3 different answers.

Please let us know if this helps.

Last edited:
Easy answer, you are better off not even trying to connect as you suggested. You use the s-video or composite cable to connect your receiver (God forbid, coax works as well). But connect your dvd player using HDMI directly to the tv. You need to use the input button on your tv remote to change to the appropriate input for the device you are using.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)