Connecticut Voomers thread

Scott - when you have a free sec, could you confirm the atltitude / wattage of the stations in their final (i.e. with candelabra) form? If I get WTXX as a result of this, it's bye bye cable and no ESPN Full Court for me :)

Good news Voomers,

I called Voom last night to complain about the recent pixilization I have been seeing. They told me that a few people have been seeing this since the last firmware was downloaded. They had me do a soft reset and that fixed the picture problem. As part of this new firmware there is now a channel scanning option. Here is Vernon I am able to get channel 22 and 57 out of springfield and even 19 out of Adams, MA. Looks like their making progress.

Does anyone know how to get an even broader range of channels than what antennaweb gives you? I want to try and pick up some of the RHode Island or NY stuff, but need to get the headings. Antennaweb is limited to a certain radius.

-MP

make that http://www.2150.com/broadcast - sorry

stupid question - this site tells me WTXX and WTXX-DT's transmitters aren't even close to each other. The census site it's linked to for maps is toast - anyone know where WTXX's analog transmitter is? I get it crystal clear OTA in Fairfield, not a sniff DT.

WTXX-DT's Antenna is on the side of our WTIC antenna in Farmington. WTXX's Analog antenna is still in Waterbury.

BTW I talked to Arnold Chase last week and it appears WEDH-DT may not be on the air until next year.

WOW - I'm shocked I get WTXX that well from Waterbury - I'm using the Winegard "stealth" pointed almost 90 deg. to it (centered on New Haven on one side, NY on the other, or somewhere in the middle)

Scott Greczkowski said:
WTXX-DT's Antenna is on the side of our WTIC antenna in Farmington. WTXX's Analog antenna is still in Waterbury.

BTW I talked to Arnold Chase last week and it appears WEDH-DT may not be on the air until next year.

Scott, can you pick up WEDW out of Bridgeport from Newington? I get 99 signal strength on Voom receiver but it won't pick up the channel on the scan. I was wondering if it is the receiver. It picked it up when we first got software update. After storm last week when we lost power and receiver did a hard reboot it won't pick it up on the scan anymore but shows signal strength. I am too far to get WEDN from Norwich even though I get WHPX from New London. They must be a stronger transmitting power.

No I dont see anything from WEDW at my place (on eaither of my antennas) I know CKNA who lives about a mile away picks it up no problem...

pmalve,

I have been trying to pick up WEDW for the last week and apparently there is something is wrong with the station. I used to get it here from NYC without any problems and it has been on the dark lately. So I do not think it is a receiver problem. I have tried Voom, Dish and MyHD card.

I concur - I live within 5 miles of WEDW-DT, and no luck (but high signal). This station is one of the flakyest out there, so I wouldn't rely on it that much. When it's up, it's gorgeous.

I wonder why I can get WTNH (ABC) and I can't get WCTX (UPN) at all. Aren't these two stations in the same tower? I want WCTX for Star Trek in HD since my current UPN local station out of NYC does not do any.

Sean Mota said:
I wonder why I can get WTNH (ABC) and I can't get WCTX (UPN) at all. Aren't these two stations in the same tower? I want WCTX for Star Trek in HD since my current UPN local station out of NYC does not do any.

Sean, WCTX doesn't pick up on the scan from the voom receiver, I don't know why. I only get it because it is my DMA and is mapped. WCTX does HD great, no bandwith wasted on subchannels. When Voom receiver scans it stops at rf 39 for awhile, just like WEDW, but doesn't add anything to receiver. That could be why you can't get it. It also doesn't broadcast at as high a power as WTNH although it isn't a low power station. Do you know if WLIW from Riverhead LI is a low power station. I get their analog signal some but not their digital signal. Nice having NYC channels now. Can't wait for combiner to be done. Hope signal gets a little stabler. WNYW is my best NYC signal. Not bad for 77 miles to tower.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Scott, Does that mean that WTIC and WTXX are not putting up their permenant antennas until next year also. I don't know if it is atmosphere or what, but both their signals have been real touchy the last couple of weeks.

pmalve,

good information about WCTX. I also have MyHD card (temporarily) and the E* 6000u receiver and I can't get it. It maybe because of low power. WLIW does not do HD anymore. The morons of channel 13 (PBS) do not want WLIW to do HD. I can still get their digital channels but no HD PBS from them.

Sean Mota said:
pmalve,

good information about WCTX. I also have MyHD card (temporarily) and the E* 6000u receiver and I can't get it. It maybe because of low power. WLIW does not do HD anymore. The morons of channel 13 (PBS) do not want WLIW to do HD. I can still get their digital channels but no HD PBS from them.
According to 2150.com WCTX antenna is more directional than WTNH. That could be your problem. Also I got my call letters mixed up, I meant WLNY not WLIW which I get no problem. I get analog 55 from LI but not digital signal. Are they at low power?

pmalve said:
According to 2150.com WCTX antenna is more directional than WTNH. That could be your problem. Also I got my call letters mixed up, I meant WLNY not WLIW which I get no problem. I get analog 55 from LI but not digital signal. Are they at low power?

There is a channel WLIW PBS channel 21 or 22 (no HD). It could be that 55 has no digital signal as I never noticed it. Regarding WCTX I have a directional antenna. But no matter where I point I can't get them. I get WTNH fine. In which direction is their antenna pointing?

Sean Mota said:
There is a channel WLIW PBS channel 21 or 22 (no HD). It could be that 55 has no digital signal as I never noticed it. Regarding WCTX I have a directional antenna. But no matter where I point I can't get them. I get WTNH fine. In which direction is their antenna pointing?

Their transmitter area seems to be more north and east from New Haven. WTNH is more of a circle. 2150.com will show you the transmitting antenna direction. I find that sight much better than antennaweb.com.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)