Considering an ipad3?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I'm considering replacing my 2 original ipads for 3's. Just need more features improvements to justify.

I wonder how many of you ipad owners, even ipad 2 owners are considering the upgrade and why?

I know there will be a bunch of negative people who have no reason to upgrade as the original ipad is known to be quite adequate for average ipad users (like me) But I have another reason that is a bit unique. I now have a hand me down path, begging for ours, hoping I do the upgrade as I told them they will get mine when I upgrade.

So, give me some positive reasons why upgrading to an ipad3 should be considered.

One of the big additions is the (rumored) LTE radio built in. Actually, if I have to get one with that I will but I don't need it as I have a myfi LTE that works great and prefer it to a dedicated ipad radio. Just give me wifi and I'll be quite happy. The other rumored improvement is the screen being in full HD but I'm satisfied with the screen I have now. But if it is very good in bright sun ( doubt it) that would be a plus but not necessarily worth me upgrading. Final rumor is the quadcore processor. Big deal! Unless it enables some new capability I haven't considered that would greatly improve what I do with the ipad. What I really really want is a very good e-mail app. If they can do that, I'm a buyer!

I am mostly interested in the higher resolution screen - if it can make reading documents look like you are reading them in print - I will be interested. Quad core does not matter to me except so far as it makes it faster for screen refreshes. Could care less about LTE, won't get a cellular model anyways. I am just waiting to see what the retina display looks like on an iPad. AND I'll only upgrade if I can sell my iPad 2 for a very good price.

If I had a hand me down path that wouldn't cause more problems than solutions, I would be interested in getting the new one. But since I have too many kids it would cause a bit of friction if I handed it down to one without also coming up with 3 more to give away.

From a feature and power standpoint with my useage, the original iPad I have is more than good enough.

It is hard to speculate as to why you would upgrade to an ipad 3 without actually seeing the specs on the mythical ipad 3....

All I can say is that I have not bought an ipad2 because I wanted a higher resolution screen. If the iPad3 has the rumored 4x resolution then I would want it.

I would also like to see amazon VOD ported to the ipad lineup...

I might be in the market if it does something that would be beneficial to one of my apps. I'm sure I'll end up with one for compatibility testing at some point.

I would be looking for a higher resolution screen, better camera, perhaps faster CPU.
Don't know if this will be an option, but I would love to see GPS in a non-broadband version.

Not interested. I have an iPad 2 and while I'm satisfied with it, I do NOT see myself staying in the iOS family of products for my next tablet purchase. Hopefully ICS will be the OS I've been waiting for, as opposed to Honeycomb which may as well be called "Android ME" given how buggy and unnecessary it is as an OS. My wife recently got a Toshiba Thrive, the first Android tablet I've used since returning my Xoom, and I was shocked at how buggy and unresponsive it was. I'm tired of being stuck in the extremely limited and frankly boring world of iOS.

As far as hardware goes my iPad 2 is fine. Having a Retina based screen would be cool but I don't see my browsing and gaming experience being enhanced greatly by it. A quad core sounds nice but I rarely find myself waiting on Apps or other things to load with the A5 Processor. For iPad 1 users the 3 will likely be a logical purchase, but I see myself riding my iPad 2 until it's simply not practical anymore, like the iPhone 3g.

The HD screen, lte and Siri are what I am looking forward to.

I find myself using my iPad a lot more then my Laptop lately. Small compact and does almost everything I want for normal use.

While I expect a higher quality camera, I have used the camera on the iPad so infrequently, I can't imagine really caring what they do with it.

I really just don't have a clue what it is going to look like with a retina screen. But I still am amazed with the PQ of the iPhone screen, and if it matches that on a bigger scale, it will be tempting.

Can't wait to see what iPhone apps look like when you press 4x.

Camera and screen are why I'd upgrade, and that's if I can sell my 2 for a decent price.

Camera is an utter embarrassment for a mobile device currently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Gorilla Glass.

And whatever the current price for a used iPad 2, it's about to tank.

Gorilla Glass.

And whatever the current price for a used iPad 2, it's about to tank.

not necessarily. The iPad 1's maintained their value. It will lose a good $100 or more, but I am hoping I can recoup some of that by including Apple Care in the cost to the buyer. We'll see.

I'm just going by reports that Apple might strongly discount the 2 and keep it as a Kindle killer.

I use my "1" as my exclusive personal 'puter now. It does almost everything I currently need at home and on the road. Anything else I need to do I squeeze in over lunch hour at work (spreadsheets for which I prefer Excel, etc.) Someday I want to do video editing, probably will need a new desktop for that.

For what I want beyond current capabilities I think the "2" would suffice, like Skype. So I might retire the "1" and pick up a high-end "2" if they get cheap enough.

We need to see what's really in the "3". Will it have 4G ??

bhelms- How do you deal with the e-mail problem? Only mac heads believe it is great, because it looks pretty. Function-wise it sucks for anyone who gets more than 20 e-mails a day.

bhelms- How do you deal with the e-mail problem? Only mac heads believe it is great, because it looks pretty. Function-wise it sucks for anyone who gets more than 20 e-mails a day.

I get plenty of emails a day, it works fine. I manage email with it all the time, move stuff in folders, its not a mac thing, heck, I liked the mail.app on the iPad BEFORE I ever had a mac. The structure of my folders already exists, I just funnel stuff where it belongs from my inbox (as I do on my computer) and delete what I don't need. I have never fully understand your dislike of the email client on the iPad, but it sounds like you deal with a lot of spam.

Mike- I don't want to manage e-mails all the time as you prefer. I have far more important things to do than filing all day long. I want the app to do that for me. I don't get plenty of e-mails, I get tons of them on my business account. "Tons" is now averaging 7000 a week. Fortunately, Outlook with it's filtering, automatic folders rules allows it to reduce the number I need to read to 20-30 a day and those are already filed in proper folders. I rarely need to manage it. I just screen the file list at a glance and read what I deem priority. That's the difference between so many who don't understand that the idea of having a computer is to have it do the tasks that are routine. Obviously, Apple and people who own Apple don't understand this as your response is typical of what I have gotten from so many Mac people. They seem to love to do secretarial work. Business management is one thing Bill Gates got right. I don't think the god Steve Jobs ever understood it. His priority was how pretty the Gui looked.

I also have some limitations, I admit that for other reasons is a problem for me to deal with. That is my main business e-mail account is stuck in POP world and the ISP won't allow me to change to IMAP. I think if I could switch it to IMAP or set up an exchange server life would be easier as far as using folders on the ipad but the ipad app and it's cousins offer no solution for this. You ca't set up folders with a POP e-mail account. You'd think a company like Apple who can create a program like Garage Band could make a simple e-mail app that performed some of the basics like Outlook.

Speaking of delete e-mails. There is no way to simply do a global delete or select all and delete. Apple requires you to open every e-mail and then you can delete it one by one. I don't want to delete a thousand emails one at a time every day. That is nuts! The solution is here. It's called Outlook. We need it on the ipad!

And, don't get me started on sending e-mails. The ipad app works can't even do attachments. The priority is the attachment, not the e-mail. I have to have an app for every attachment that supports sending by e-mail. What if I want to send a pdf and a jpg with an e-mail? I can't.

So, in the theme of this thread, I will upgrade to ipad3 if they get an app for e-mail that is 21st century. It's to be a quadcore. How much compute power does Apple need to make an e-mail app that works like a 1999 Outlook app for starters?

Last edited:
Issues with the mail app are why some at work who tried to bring just iPads to meetings are bringing their Macbooks instead.

One of them at one point was re-forwarding their meeting-relevant emails to themselves before each meeting because of some 200 item limit.

Mike- I don't want to manage e-mails all the time as you prefer. I have far more important things to do than filing all day long. I want the app to do that for me. I don't get plenty of e-mails, I get tons of them on my business account. "Tons" is now averaging 7000 a week. Fortunately, Outlook with it's filtering, automatic folders rules allows it to reduce the number I need to read to 20-30 a day and those are already filed in proper folders. I rarely need to manage it. I just screen the file list at a glance and read what I deem priority. That's the difference between so many who don't understand that the idea of having a computer is to have it do the tasks that are routine. Obviously, Apple and people who own Apple don't understand this as your response is typical of what I have gotten from so many Mac people. They seem to love to do secretarial work. Business management is one thing Bill Gates got right. I don't think the god Steve Jobs ever understood it. His priority was how pretty the Gui looked.

I also have some limitations, I admit that for other reasons is a problem for me to deal with. That is my main business e-mail account is stuck in POP world and the ISP won't allow me to change to IMAP. I think if I could switch it to IMAP or set up an exchange server life would be easier as far as using folders on the ipad but the ipad app and it's cousins offer no solution for this. You ca't set up folders with a POP e-mail account. You'd think a company like Apple who can create a program like Garage Band could make a simple e-mail app that performed some of the basics like Outlook.

Speaking of delete e-mails. There is no way to simply do a global delete or select all and delete. Apple requires you to open every e-mail and then you can delete it one by one. I don't want to delete a thousand emails one at a time every day. That is nuts! The solution is here. It's called Outlook. We need it on the ipad!

And, don't get me started on sending e-mails. The ipad app works can't even do attachments. The priority is the attachment, not the e-mail. I have to have an app for every attachment that supports sending by e-mail. What if I want to send a pdf and a jpg with an e-mail? I can't.

So, in the theme of this thread, I will upgrade to ipad3 if they get an app for e-mail that is 21st century. It's to be a quadcore. How much compute power does Apple need to make an e-mail app that works like a 1999 Outlook app for starters?

Assuming your e-mail domain belongs to you, and not the ISP, you can transfer it to a service like ExchangeMyMail.com for $10/month.

Question about an Ipod and Itunes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)