Consumer Reports: 71% Would Leave ISP That Violated Neutrality

A wise man once said the internet has given a voice to those who didnt have one (Rey, 2012).
In this case, the people have spoken.

Violating ISPs better butter up those retention offers.

A wise man once said the internet has given a voice to those who didnt have one (Rey, 2012).
In this case, the people have spoken.

Violating ISPs better butter up those retention offers.

roflmao!!

Yep, I'm lucky enough to have 4 broadband choices (not counting satellite or cellular). Charter cable is the best option for me as far as the speed to price ratio goes but if they start messing with my streaming I'll be gone in a heartbeat. I can go to other providers for about the same price. I would just take a hit in my download speed. Still, I'd rather have a 6Mbps open connection than a 10Gbps connection that gimps the services I use. Luckily my other options are faster than 6Mbps. They just aren't as fast as my 30Mbps Charter connection.

Folks say thy will do a lot of things. I doubt that they will actually do it especially when they realize how limited their choices are.

I remember when DISH dropped VOOM there were at least three people posting that they were going to file a class action suit and that they, their lawyer or whoever they talk to was convinced that they were bound to win. I wonder if any such suits were actually filed.

Charter would have to really get bad for me to ever consider going back to ATT.

Charter would have to really get bad for me to ever consider going back to ATT.

I have no issues with Charter. It consistently tests in the 35-40Mbps range even though I only pay for 30Mbps. I don't get noticeable slowdown during peak hours and as of now they work great for both streaming video and playing online games.

As long as things stay the way they have for the last 12 years or so I will remain a happy customer. They have been my only ISP since moving from AOL dial-up to their blazing fast 3Mbps broadband back in 2002.If they decide to start ruining my Netflix, Amazon, MLB.tv, or iTunes video streaming it won't take me long to try someone else. Fast speeds mean nothing if the ISPs start breaking the services that can take advantage of those speeds.

Well, most urban/suburban folks have two IF you count DSL. The cable company cable modem and their phone company DSL. Anything more than that, including UVerse/Fios, and you ARE lucky...

I would bet roughly 60-70% of the households have DSL, Cable and another like U-verse, FIOS or other.

Most folks still have only one choice of broadcast providers...and dial-up.

Does ANYONE offer dial-up anymore? ANY ISP?

Well, most urban/suburban folks have two IF you count DSL. The cable company cable modem and their phone company DSL. Anything more than that, including UVerse/Fios, and you ARE lucky...

And I hear some telcos will not install DSL anymore.

Most folks still have only one choice of broadcast providers...and dial-up.

Folks say thy will do a lot of things. I doubt that they will actually do it especially when they realize how limited their choices are.

I remember when DISH dropped VOOM there were at least three people posting that they were going to file a class action suit and that they, their lawyer or whoever they talk to was convinced that they were bound to win. I wonder if any such suits were actually filed.

SURE! Lawyer gets his up front fee to pursue the possibility, discovers some point that ruins the deal, bills a few hours and is a happy camper. Fleecing the clueless.

Now, I believe education should never be cheap, but really!

Does ANYONE offer dial-up anymore? ANY ISP?

And I hear some telcos will not install DSL anymore.

You'd be surprised at how many dial up offerings there are.Juno,netzero,peoplepc,just to name a few.

With work I still run across people with dial up, not many but a few here & there.

You'd be surprised at how many dial up offerings there are.Juno,netzero,peoplepc,just to name a few.

I AM surprised. I thought those companies had all gone under!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The other question is how many people would actually know if their ISP was violating net neutrality? It can be done very subtlety and most would not notice.

The other question is how many people would actually know if their ISP was violating net neutrality? It can be done very subtlety and most would not notice.

If I couldn't tell the difference I guess I wouldn't care. I don't care what my exact download speeds are when I'm streaming video as long as I'm getting the highest quality speeds with no buffering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's the choice that I face - Comcast or Verizon DSL. If I could get 6 or 7 meg DSL, I would switch immediately. Alas, the top speed on DSL on my road is 3 meg. So I continue to pay for over-priced Comcast HSI that is currently still throttling Netflix in my area. I keep begging the local Verizon tech to push for an upgrade at the CO. Many people in my area are upset with Comcast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts