Consumer VS Commercial Grade TV

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
It seems ill be buying up to 10 70" screens...since there's a significant price difference between grades, anyone know the difference?

Cheers, K

I thought there were commercial grade monitors, but not TVs. So this will be interesting.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Back in the CRT days, Sony used to sell expensive professional monitors. One of the big features was an underscan mode that showed all of the end of line flags and the frame header information. Of course, that is now obsolete, but I would expect a true broadcast monitor would have similar quality of signal overlays.

In addition to underscan mode, Sony also included blue-only mode that assisted in calibrating contrast and brightness. Most of this is handled by external calibration instruments now rather than the naked eye.

If the monitors aren't going to be use for serious video production where the output may be critically viewed for technical accuracy, your setup probably won't benefit from paying a whole lot more money for tech monitors.

We use professional/commercial monitors, they are 40" screens. I think the main difference from that and the consumer models is the 5 year warranty where they send someone out to replace the monitor if there is any issue. They are on 24x7. They do not have TV tuners in them, so they are monitors, but they have a ton of connections on them/connection types.

Also read residential TVs have more shielding which protects them image from the various components nearby.
I know the warranty is general longer and their built for 24/7 use...

We did not have a choice on the commercial monitors, they were required equipment. When it came to the TV I got a consumer one. It was 1/4 the price and I figured I could just replace it when it broke.

Probably an old tech tale.

I can see where a CRT might be impacted by a magnetic field but not a fixed pixel display.
Class A vs Class B.

Surely you are not looking for logic when civil service jobs are at stake!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts